• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New aquascape

Rodrigru

Seedling
Hi everyone
I'm doing changes to my aquarium, I'm will transform my aquarium into aquascaping.
I'm changing the substrate, removing ornaments and plants.... Everything basically except the external filter. Now my question is if I keep 50% or more water from the previous setup should i cycle the tank again using the old water and the filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you keep your established filter material and reuse water you can expect your tank to cycle faster.
Other factors may play in here; e. g. if you use an active substrate and how heavily you plant. Expect to do more waterchanges than in a fully established tank, and be careful with the light in the beginning.

Welcome Buddy, yeah using an already mature filter and some tank water will speed up the process but the tank isn't really fully mature until the bacteria colonises all the surfaces in the tank like the gravel and hardscape so more frequent water changes are still in order to begin with. Depends on how quick you want to add your fish I guess. Best not to be in a rush with any of it and if you're intending injecting co2 this is best done without fish. That way nothing suffers if you get it wrong and you can add a little more co2 than usual to start with.

Back