• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New aquascaper 900

Warren

Started my new setup just over a week ago.

Tank evolution aqua 900
Light twinstar 900s
Filter fx4 with clear tubing going to lily pipe with skimmer
Soil.tropica and white Hugo Kamishi sand
Rock.grey dragon stone but getting more. Seiryu stone to make a terrace to the left hand side to separate the two soils

I have co2 running with drop checker lime green and have a hydor ibline heater but getting a thermostat as heard a few issues with hydor.

I have added a 250ml bottle of tetra safestart bacteria. Ammonia was 0.25mg but last two days at 0.5mg. Nitrite reading 0.3mg. As i am getting nitrite readings does that mean my tank is close ro beimg cycled.

I have not changed water yet as have no fish, only plants. Will add fish when the tank has finished cycling. I am usng fish food as an ammonia source.

Any suggestions about the scape as well as the cycling.

What I want to do as mentioned is add a terrace to the left with seiyru rock to section off the sand from the soil and move rhe soil across to give more room for planting amd a less white sand. I may also remove one of the larger rocks and get a piece of river wood

Attachments

• 20180628_194932.jpg
    20180628_194932.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 291
  • 20180628_194946.jpg
    20180628_194946.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 199
  • 20180628_194958.jpg
    20180628_194958.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 212
  • 20180627_061804.jpg
    20180627_061804.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 201
  • 20180617_175036.jpg
    20180617_175036.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 793
Any suggestions about the scape as well as the cycling.

What I want to do as mentioned is add a terrace to the left with seiyru rock to section off the sand from the soil and move rhe soil across to give more room for planting amd a less white sand. I may also remove one of the larger rocks and get a piece of river wood

Warren

This is when you should have asked these "Questions" its a little late now considering you have started planting and Cycling.

20180617_175036-jpg.jpg

I am usng fish food as an ammonia source.
After reading http://www.tetra-fish.com/products/water-care/safestart-plus.aspx
I cannot see any reference to adding "Supplements" is there any special reason to do so.
I have never used the Tetra product all I ever used was Seachem Stability.

Keith:wave::wave:

Why is it too late Keith All i would have to do is drain some water out and move some soil and plants around

I'd either add more wood, or remove what you have - it looks a little out of place just on it's own.

Warren
Why is it too late Keith All i would have to do is drain some water out and move some soil and plants around

I am looking and working from this photo only

20180701_220546-jpg.jpg

Its not as simple as that here are the reasons.

The piece of DW does nothing for the Aquascape. Its uninteresting in fact its a distraction.
You have three medium rocks all about the same size and similar in shape in a curve around the DW.
Substrate black and white it divides the tank in half.

My suggestions are just replace the DW and all the white Substrate, or make a Mock tank use cheap sand as the substrate find some interesting rocks and DW.

Leave all the plants alone until you have an excellent Hardscape in the mock tank.

Thanks Keith. I bought this piece of wood instead and some rocks. Will remove the
big rocks I have. The third pic is what I am trying to get it to look like.
$_1.jpeg
2018-06-29 16.04.12.jpg
Screenshot_20180512-201924.png

The in-sand photo - it looks like you have two separate scapes, a group of rocks and a line of rocks. See how it the video capture it's not really just three big rocks, it's three big rocks and some smaller ones scattered around the base? That softens it and makes it look more natural. The same with your line of rocks - it looks too neat, like a beautifully laid stone wall. Try making it a little less perfect and add in some scattered smaller pieces. Also, I wouldn't go for a perfect straight line. Try using some smaller rocks to connect the two sections too.

The in sand picture is just an image sent to me by the pet store I will not setup like that. They are still being posted to me.

Ahh, okay! That will certainly give you lots more options once it arrives.

I like the shape of the new bit of wood too.

Where are you ordering from?

Warren
Its great to see you are now on the correct path to create an excellent Aquascape.
_1-jpeg.jpg

That DW is it one piece it looks great with careful placement and the other piece just might work but not in an upright position

screenshot_20180512-201924-png.png

Is this the Aquascape you are using as an inspiration.

I would like to suggest you start using a Mock tank first it will take a little longer that way but once you get it perfect the rest is easy.

Hi Keith. Thank you. Yes the driftwood is one piece The current driftwood in my tank will not be used when the other piece arrives.

Warren

The current driftwood in my tank will not be used when the other piece arrives.

Never say will not I have be helping Aquascapers for many years now.

Warren, how did you connect your FX4 to a lily pipe set?

I want to do the same using an FX6.

Thanks
Robbie

I bought an adaptor from Maidenhead aquatics and some plumbers tape and metal fasteners.

Attachments

• 15308229876191146876541.jpg
    15308229876191146876541.jpg
    923.2 KB · Views: 155
The wood arrived today and it was tiny so will try send it back. Getting this piece to the left of the picture.
IMG_2776.jpg

Will probably just have to saw off the front protruding piece

I have added a 250ml bottle of tetra safestart bacteria. Ammonia was 0.25mg but last two days at 0.5mg. Nitrite reading 0.3mg. As i am getting nitrite readings does that mean my tank is close ro

Ammonia levels will relate to how much fish food you have added, when it starts to cycle you will first see the nitrite levels spike as the bacteria starts to convert the ammonia into Nitrite (this normally kills off the fish) this will then all be converted into nitrate where it can be used by the plants. When your nitrite levels start to drop you know you are nearly there.
I would still do 50% water changes, it might slow the cycling down slightly but help reduce algae outbreaks. I wouldn't be surprised if diatoms are on there way.
Just remember to add your fish slowly even after the tank is cycled.

I still keep moving things around, that's half the fun of the tank. Gives me chance to think about things.
I'm currently wondering about ripping out half of my background plants out and either adding more wood that emerges from the water and new plants or just different plants.

Back