• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New beginnings

Nick potts

About time I started a journal to document my tanks over time.

This Journal is going to be for my WIO 60F shallow. It's currently an Epiphyte dominant caradinia shrimp setup but this is being torn down over the weekend to make way for a more "nature style" scape.

Anyway, here are a pic of what it looks like today, I will keep this updated with progress on the new setup and hopefully get some helpful tips as I go :)

1678133702727.jpg

I envy your robust Bucephalandras. What is the water like? Soft, medium, hard...?

Thanks Maq

It's a softwater setup, RO water remineralized to around 80-100ppm (including the weeks ferts), haven't tested in a while but KH would be 0-1 and GH not much more.

Finally had a sit of time for a play around.

This is what I have come up with so far, I am 60% happy with it but always open to ideas. I need to add more small details etc and the plan with this scape over my others is not to go mad with the planting (or at least keep it trimmed) so the hardscape elements will shine through.

The rock on the right I should maybe replace with something lower? Otherwise, unless the plants grow emergent they are not going to be seen.

1679323546645.jpg

Nick

I think a planted tank does not necessarily have to be an over-planted tank. The rocks and branches are remarkable in themselves. I'd add just Elatine hydropiper and a few Eriocaulons. Just a humble suggestion, I'm not a scaper... 🫢

Thanks Maq, I do have a habit of stuffing in as many plants as possible.

Already have some plants to go in, i'm doing a monte carlo carpet and a fair few buce, then some stems for the back corners.

As I thought, I haven't updated this thread in a while :)

Anyway, the tank is coming along through the normal teething issues and overall the plants are healthy and happy, except the Monte Carlo, which is suffering a bit from leaves going transparent. Any help with that would be great.

The tank still has no livestock, and probably won't for the foreseeable, maxed out CO2 and flow and dosing EI daily.

1682963586557.jpg
1682963586533.jpg
1682963586542.jpg

Also decided it was time for another marine setup, I'll start another journal for that soon.

1682775093453.jpg

I’ve never quite understood that. As plants produce O2 when photosynthesising, you’d think that a CO2 injected tank with higher a rate of photosynthesis will also have higher levels of O2.
Yes, that's all correct. Still, adding oxygen often works well.
One point to consider: The more CO2 plants consume -> the more sugars they create -> the more energy they can gain from oxidizing sugars, which is O2 consumption (= respiration). The latter may happen during night, esp. within dense stands of plants. (Scientists observed that juvenile fish which normally seek shelter in dense stands leave these spots during late night and early morning. They wondered why and learned that such spots are - counterintuitively - suffering from lack of oxygen.)
Second point to consider: Many reduced substances are toxic. (Ammonia, too, is nothing else but reduced nitrogen. But there are more dangerous compounds than that.) These substances move upward from lower, suboxic or anoxic layers of substrate. There's non-zero period of time between reaching border between substrate and water column and their oxidation (= detoxication). The risk is increased when the substrate is covered by dense canopy of carpet plants. Obviously, this dangerous situation is less pronounced if the water column is superbly oxygenated.
==
Of course, I can't provide any exact proof that what I've described actually happens and does harm in our tanks. But I have read what I've described in scientific papers, explored various means of oxygenation and it serves me well. Including Söchting Oxygenator, which is particularly suitable for CO2 injectors because it avoids that classical dilemma "CO2 or O2". You can have both.

I've never suffered from a lack of oxygen before, I have good surface movement and surface skimming. Monte Carlo has done this to me before and I never got to the bottom of it.

However, saying that it should be easy enough for me to up the oxygen and see.

Back