• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Cars... Good MPG?

Superman

I might have a new job, so I'll have a new company car.
I'm going to be doing 70 mile round trip in the new job to the office each day which will add up on the fuel costs.
Does anyone have a car with good mpg? The new renault megane looks nice with 60mpg.
Note: I feel like a granddad for asking that question! :geek:

Mazda 6 has low emissions (for its class). Check out some of the reviews for the latest model.

I have a phase 2 Megane 1.6 16v - gets 45mpg around town and 55mpg on motorway, so I'd assume the new Megane is good. It held up extremely well when it was crashed aswell. I won't be buying another one though because my fiance, who's a mechanic, hates it lol, and I've had a fair amount of mechanical problems with it.
My classic mini gets 70mpg with a 1.3 GT with twin carbs, and it'll keep up with an M3 until about 35mph if thats your kind of thing :lol:.
What about a gas conversion? Gas is currently 48ppl in my area, so you're more than doubling your mileage when compared to petrol. It's £1600 in my area for a good conversion for a four cylinder car, so you'd make your money back in a year or two.
The reviews section on www.parkers.co.uk is good for mpg figures and other info.

no idea about fuel consumption.

but congrats on the new job.

bummer about losing the old car tho?
was a couple of nice motors you had on yer drive!

A VW Blue motion Golf/Polo best in class for emmisions and mpg and the added bonus its german and wont go wrong!!
the new ones look good too (golf 80.7 Mpg :clap: )

I had a 53 Laguna, got about 55MPG combined until it blew up after 85,000 miles (i'm so glad it was a company car!).

The new Ford Mondeo's are supposed to be good MPG wise.

Superman said:
I might have a new job, so I'll have a new company car.
I'm going to be doing 70 mile round trip in the new job to the office each day which will add up on the fuel costs.
Does anyone have a car with good mpg? The new renault megane looks nice with 60mpg.
Note: I feel like a granddad for asking that question! :geek:

http://www.litespeed.com/bikes/current/archon.aspx

Take public transport, ride home after. 2 hour ride vs 1:15 stuck in traffic will make life much better.

I own a truck that sits most of the time in Drive way, but it's a smaller version, waiting for a decent hybrid Toyota tacoma pu, they have the Hybrids for the SUV's, so they should be able to add that to the Trucks, that would get about 24 to about 35 mpg.

Not bad for a truck.

The other car we own is a Mini, gets about 39mph and is fast and nice driving mountain roads.

My commute is a Bike.

I love to go to work and come home.

Driving? That stinks compared.

Regards,
Tom Barr

I've got the new Megane Coupe 1.5 diesel (106bhp).

I've done around 2500 miles in the month that I've had it, most of it motorway and it's giving me 53mpg. When I measured it seperately for a trip down the A9 at 50-60 mph the rate went up close to 60mpg.

The bumf they give you advises that best performance won't come until you've done around 9000 miles I think it is.

I swapped in my Clio 197 for it so mpg up from 29 to 53 makes me happy, tax down from £215 (rumoured to be going up steep again too) down to £35 helps as does servicing every 2 years (18000 miles) instead of 1 year (12000) and my insurance group went down from 16 to 6.

So far - I really enjoy driving it. It lacks power from a standing start but get it within the 2000-3000 rpm range and it gives me what I ask it for. Only problem with the Coupe is the limited rear view but it does have what seem like huge wing mirrors when you look into them.

Our 03 Fiesta Zetec 1.4 just went from Lincoln to Heathrow and back on £24 of petrol. don't know what that adds up to in MPG though.

Its worth checking out the cost of the car if you source it through your company versus the cost if you source it via your own PCP (or similar) agreement.

To get the car I have through my company car scheme was loads more expensive than leasing it myself - even factoring in insurance, tax, servicing and tyres. Basically, the monthly cost of the car (our company car scheme charges a monthly charge for the car - you then use your car allowance to service the charge) via the company, plus the tax you get charged for having a company car - worked out to be more expensive than sorting it all out for myself.

You do have to be careful with your expected mileage, because it can get expensive if you go over it - but I factored in 20k miles per annum and I won't exceed it.

You might find that your company's scheme is best for you - but it's worth checking for sure. I ended up with a lot more car for my money by using my allowance to fund a private lease agreement.

mattyc said:
A VW Blue motion Golf/Polo best in class for emmisions and mpg and the added bonus its german and wont go wrong!!
the new ones look good too (golf 80.7 Mpg :clap: )

The wife has one and its very good bit of kit, and very comfy for traveling the miles in.

Thanks for the advice CeeBee. I had a look at all of that when I got my current car.
For my personal circumstances the difference between the two was marginal so decided to have the company car for convienience.
At my next job, I can only guess that the company car will only provide me benefits at a cost level as I'd get taxed at 40% for the car allowance (the take off NI). So the company car is cheaper (depending on the model of course).

I just got the forms so the car list should be with me soon, then the serious work starts!

Back