• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New challenges...

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
I thought some of you may be interested to know that the PFK Great Planted Tank series is coming to an end soon.

Our very own Mark Evans (saintly) is to be featured in the last episode with his MA @ East Bridgford display tank.

I have really enjoyed compiling the series and interviewing some of the world's top aquascapers, but it's time to move on to fresh challenges, and give the readers something new. However, I will still be still contributing a regular planted tank article too.

Anyway, I am starting a new series on biotopes. Here's some background info, for your interest.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/f ... hp?t=41727

I've been a sponge taking in loads of new info about fish and their natural habitats.

I've been collecting as much decor and hardscape materials as I can, from twigs, pebbles and leaves to slate and mud!

The idea is to accurately represent a specific habitat, whilst producing an aesthetically pleasing layout. And also making it accessible to the 'average' reader on a budget. Hopefully I can help to promote biotope aquaria in a similar way to how I've been promoting planted tanks and aquascaping through PFK.

It's going to be a huge learning curve and I can't wait to get started!

Here's my assistant sorting out some wood for a potential future set-up...

hardscape.jpg

That might tempt me to re-start my PFK subscription, if I could start my tank again with different fish I'd really consider an aquascaped biotope, your series should prove a good read!

George, have you ever considdered doing a paludariums ?....to me, that would be a superb biotope where land meets water, epiphytic terrestrial plants overhanging the water, some of the aquatics beconing marginals or bog plants, little waterfalls etc etc

I did a small, aqua-one open topped effort a few years ago but it never came to much. Mym dream is to set up a big one...6 feet high, 2 foot wide and 6 foot long. I can dream i suppose.

here's two of my efforts

DSCF0001-77.jpg

palad1-3.jpg

Andy

This sounds like a really interesting and challenging series George.

I am sure this is an area of aquascaping that could be expanded greatly, not only from the aesthetic perspective, but also from the greater understanding of fish species, their natural habitats and general welfare.

How many aquarist, myself included, really know the true environments many tropical fishes species originate from. It will really be interesting to see if any different behavior is exhibited by the inclusion of naturally occurring fish within their designated biotypes.

It also seems that you have a future top aquascaper in the making. However, I did ponder on the biotype the pink spherical object could be included in :wideyed:

Ian

This sounds great George, i'll look forward to reading about these (and maybe viewing them too). ;)

Does anyone know of a site or list of biotopes?

So if UKAPS planters wanted to recreate a biotope, they would have all the details they need, like region, substrate, decor and fish and plants allowed to that region.

TDI-line said:
Does anyone know of a site or list of biotopes?

So if UKAPS planters wanted to recreate a biotope, they would have all the details they need, like region, substrate, decor and fish and plants allowed to that region.

Closest I've found to that are these Dan; Mongabay.com and Badman's biotope aquaria.

Not perhaps as much detail as we'd want!

There's also some amazing pictures of a West African stream on a thread on Apistogramma.com (that I can't find at the moment... :rolleyes: ) that would give a lot of inspiration. It was pics from a guy visiting Cameroon I think.

I can't wait for this feature! Biotopes are my favourite thing. The tank that I'm planning to do now is goin to be a biotope.

This will hopefully increase the number of biotopes entered into IAPLC, it's too scarce for my liking!

Ooooh, sounds like a good new feature! Shame you can't continue the Great Planted Tank series along side it though :D

Ooh... Exiting.
I've been wanting to do a biotope since I started fishkeeping but got sidetracked by Amano and his minions :D. I've found it quite hard to find any decent detailed images of different biotopes. Most are just descriptions and we all know a picture is worth a 1000 words...

That narrows it down to about 490 options!

Clue number 2?

George Farmer said:
Small fish - only a 63 litre tank. No more clues - sorry!
I wouldn't think you were a monster fish fan, but was worth a shot ;)

Well, I've done the first two biotopes - Cambodia blackwater and Tanganyikan shell-dweller. I'm really happy with the results and look forward to seeing the features in PFK. My best critic, Jeremy Gay approved too, which was a huge relief.

Next, I'm setting up a long-term low-tech 125 litre marine, whilst simultaneously continuing the freshwater series in my 63 litre.

situcrop.jpg

excelent, i cant wait for the read, will you be doing any more biotopes on top of the Cambodia blackwater and Tanganyikan shell-dweller?
i wish you the best of luck with the marines, and cant wait to see what you come up with :D should be brill if your other scapes are anything to go by :!:

glenn said:
excelent, i cant wait for the read, will you be doing any more biotopes on top of the Cambodia blackwater and Tanganyikan shell-dweller?
i wish you the best of luck with the marines, and cant wait to see what you come up with :D should be brill if your other scapes are anything to go by :!:
Thanks, Glenn.

I'll be doing a series of at least six biotopes. One of them from a UK stream!

aaronnorth said:
i thought you had some Tangs on your Flcikr but then i thought, nah, it must be a look alike tropical lol.

cant wait :D
Yes mate. Cute little things, aren't they?! So intelligent, they aquascape the tank for you! lol

Back