• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Chihiros Online Store

Wookii

Visited the Chihiros website today to check out their new Nova 1 light. Their website has always been an awkward and messily designed, old-fashioned HTML website, but found today that they have completely re-vamped it and brought it up to date.

It appears to include a store front to allow direct purchases (including spares and accessories) from the UK (and other countries), a Live Chat function and a forum for support and queries. A positive step forward for the brand!

CHIHIROS

I have few of their products and they are excellent; however they lost some points with me by going the "apple" route. If you look at the hanging set for their new pro series, it's some wacky looking proprietary crap. In short - they got rid of a simple threaded hole and invented a £30 product to replace it. I am a bit more wary of them now.

I ordered a WRGB2 Pro from that site on the 2nd of March and it arrived today (15th). So about 2 weeks for delivery, which isn't too bad from a Chinese website. It was tracked, so you could follow the parcel's progress to some degree.

I ordered a WRGB2 Pro from that site on the 2nd of March and it arrived today (15th). So about 2 weeks for delivery, which isn't too bad from a Chinese website. It was tracked, so you could follow the parcel's progress to some degree.

Was it all duty and VAT paid as the website suggests, or did you get hit for extra charges by customs?

Thinking of getting salty? 👀

lol No mate, thats a bit beyond my skill level - I was checking to see if they had a freshwater version - I've been hoping for a while that they'll release a small form factor light that kind of size using the same RGB LED's in their Vivid II/WRGBII lights.

online store appears to have a 15% markup versus my LFS.
What they should do is release a light with a wider coverage angle (front to back) for farmers or dutch type scapes. Unfortunately the latest WRGB 2 Pro shrunk in width.

Shrunk it width is good, makes it easier to use 2 x WRGB2 Pro for tanks that are 40cm back to front. Currently can barely fit 2 x WRGB2 into 40cm.

I'm using 2 x WRGB2 and my tank is 45cm back to front.

What they should do is release a light with a wider coverage angle (front to back) for farmers or dutch type scapes. Unfortunately the latest WRGB 2 Pro shrunk in width.

Can't you just raise the light, or are you already running it at 100%?

Shrunk it width is good, makes it easier to use 2 x WRGB2 Pro for tanks that are 40cm back to front. Currently can barely fit 2 x WRGB2 into 40cm.

I'm using 2 x WRGB2 and my tank is 45cm back to front.
Well the point would be to only have 1 not 2, hence why I suggested a wider version would be better. But yes I know some have 2 x WRGB. The absolute width of the WRGB2 Pro did not shrunk BTW, it's the light panel within the frame that did. LEDs are now more tightly packed.

Can't you just raise the light, or are you already running it at 100%?
I prefer lights to be as close as possible to the surface so that they are less aggressive on the eyes.

I prefer lights to be as close as possible to the surface so that they are less aggressive on the eyes.
Hello, did you try the shades ? I have, and very efficient to protect the eyes. Mine (WRGB2) hangs currently at about 15-20 cm above the surface, and I have no light in the eyes. If I remove the shades, I confirm that it is a nightmare for the eyes. :)

Hello, did you try the shades ? I have, and very efficient to protect the eyes. Mine (WRGB2) hangs currently at about 15-20 cm above the surface, and I have no light in the eyes. If I remove the shades, I confirm that it is a nightmare for the eyes. :)
Shades matter little when you have children in the house or if you have midget friends ;)

Shades matter little when you have children in the house or if you have midget friends ;)

The glare from higher lights is an issue I agree - but I like higher mounted lights for ease of access for maintenance etc. I've always liked the look of the shades on the ADA Solar RGB:

2_00_12_600x.jpg

They look quite effective at cutting the glare and light overspill compared to the Chihiros ones which give too wide a final aperture - I plan to make some myself that are similar to the ADA ones, but to fit the Vivid II.

use this kind of rollers (easyrollers)
In the past I looked for those for a while after I saw the video from Jurijs Jutjajevs but then remembered I am renting 😅. There seems to be many different copy cat brands out there many of which are not suitable as they are rated for higher weights.

Back