• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Cube

Rob Dahl

Couldn't wait and have started my new Fluval 30cm. cube tank. Had a terrible time trying to plant in ADA Amazonia substrate, but with handy tips from fellow members, have made some progress. HOB filter flow made a crater in the substrate, so I made a small sponge "dam" on the filter raceway. Hoping that my new TMC light will encourage the Fissidens & Hydrocotyle to carpet.
Present setup:
Flora 30cm. cube
Fluval aquaclear 30 hob filter (to be replaced with Ehiem classic 150 exterior filter)
ADA Amazonia substrate
Fertilization: Excel 3-5 ml./day
Plants:
Fissidens fontanus
Ludwigia arcuata
Lysimachia nummularia Aurea
Micranthemum umbrosum “
Monte Carlo
Macaya fluviatilis
Hydrocotyle tripartita

Lighting:
Fluval 30w cfl
el cheapo led clip-on (TMC mini400 tile in the mail)
Here are some pictures:
Day after planting attempt
15808565854_8c9cb774e0_c.jpg

Today:
15830086293_63b9f52b91_c.jpg

Soo...am awaiting arrival of new lighting and thinking of new plants to add. Any suggestions welcome. Forgot to mention that I am cycling tank now. Added plants after third water change/ 4 days. Will check parameters this weekend.

Hi Rob,
You'll probably find that moss will grow happily on your dam sponge.

Good luck on the tank move.
cheers phil

Good idea Another Phil . May give it a try. Only thing in the way will be that when I (ahem) rearrange room I intend on switching the New cube to an Eheim 2211 external. I could place the sponge on top of my Fluval U1 internal in the warts and more warts tank. It would be like an emergent dry start for the moss. Which brings up another interesting question – do you think I could filter both of these tanks off the one Eheim filter, or would that be unsafe from a water quality standpoint ? Both tanks would be only 16 gallons gross. (less substrate, wood, filter and plants.)

Hi, looking good. You might not beed the sponge dam if you fill the tank up and reduce the drop from the outlet.

If your external filter is rated for the combined bodies of water of both your tanks then it could in theory.
But they will be susceptible to the same water issues because of sharing the filter plus as there small ranks I can't think why you would want to do that. Stick the wee internal in your warts ands all tank and keep your good tank separate. Just my opinion

If your external filter is rated for the combined bodies of water of both your tanks then it could in theory.
But they will be susceptible to the same water issues because of sharing the filter plus as there small ranks I can't think why you would want to do that. Stick the wee internal in your warts ands all tank and keep your good tank separate. Just my opinion
...and a smart one it is Deansie,. I shall do that.

Out of interest, how much Amazonia did you end up using in this tank? I'm in the process of setting up a tank the same size and can't decide between a 3 or 9 litre bag.

Imorp, I think I remember a little over four liters, and have been thinking of layering some river gravel over it to make planting less difficult and add a little more interest to the scene. If you haven't used Amazonia yet–it's very difficult to plant in so soft and mushy. Like unset tapioca.

Yeah, that's about what I calculated I would need... Was hoping I wouldn't have to get a 9L bag for it though!

Thanks for the advice on it being difficult to plant in, I like the look of the Amazonia so ideally wouldn't want to cap it.

Back