• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New curved corner tank

Russellm

Seedling
Hi all,

First post, so apologies if it's in the wrong section.

I've had a couple of basic tanks over the years, so not a complete novice but now I am in a position to start a new tank (after having children/new house etc).

What I would like is anyone's opinion on the pros and cons of getting a curved corner tank over a rectangular, other than the distortion when looking at it from an angle? I was going to try a gravel over soil substrate, well planted tank, with nothing out of the ordinary in terms of fish.

Thanks,

Russell :)

Hi Russell
I've no experience of bow fronted tanks myself, so can't advise.
But you might try re-titling this thread something like "Bow fronted tanks - good or bad opinions?" Just might bring out the lovers and loathers of these aquaria to help you!

Received wisdom is that curved corner tanks are both harder to scape from an aesthetic point of view and pose challenges with flow and distribution. Never tried one myself mind you.

How would a curve negatively effect the flow in a tank? I can't see any way it could?

Aesthetics I guess are a personal choice, I had one of those Dennerle scaper cubes once, and I admit I didn't love it - just skewed the view on the corners too much.

Depends what space you have and what you want to keep i guess. I have a fluval felx which has a bow top to bottom. Yes it distorts the view slighltly but doesnt bother me. Its all about preference i guess. If i want something 200l plus (i want i just cant afford it at the moment unless a cheap second hand shows up) i would have to settle for corner tank as all my walls large enough have radiator so not suitable for a tank.

Welcome :)

I guess it's entirely up to you. Personally, I quite like the Juwel Trigon line, and I think I'd enjoy the challenge of scaping one; it's supposedly harder.
But obviously, it's not a standard shape so it's perhaps not so easy to retrofit with lights and filters etc as a standard rectangular tank.
However, if you're clever about it, it can be made to work really well. Possibly as is, lower-energy.
Check out the threads below.

Received wisdom is that curved corner tanks are both harder to scape from an aesthetic point of view and pose challenges with flow and distribution. Never tried one myself mind you.
This,

I had the Trigon 350

I have a trigon that's been marine for the last 15 years and it doesn't distort the perspective at all. The only annoying thing about it is that it's hard to take a picture of it in anything but total room darkness as the natural light reflects off the glass (not that noticeable when the tank light are on but noticeable in photos). Some corner tanks do shift the perspective however, the fluval one did massively, so try to see your choice in a showroom before you buy.

I've had my eye on turning that tank into a planted setup and always thought a nice root type scape project from the back corner forward would look good, as it uses the depth of the tank and gives an less commonly seen view.

The flow issue has never been a problem for me either. In a marine tank with sps corals you need excellent flow and the curve front I believe actually deflects the flow better than a tank with corners and keeps it higher. You just need to be a little more careful with you powerhead/filter placement.

Thanks for you input everyone, one thing I think may well sway it is cost, the bow fronts seem to be pretty expensive, which is understandable as I would imagine it's relatively easier to make an all flat sided tank

Back