• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Decade, New Decadence...

don’t worry it’ll look lovely with a nice black fringe growing on it - a new species maybe....?

stick It in a pot.....this time next year Roders.......!
The nice black fringe I'd have no problem growing lol

Mine too @Jayefc1 and not sure I'd do it any justice.
Does look good though and a plant I'd love to grow.

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking that due to the colour and lack of chlorophyll in the leaves they could be challenging to grow and very slow? Ie an algae magnet for someone like me //emoji.tapatalk-cdn.com/emoji1787.png//emoji.tapatalk-cdn.com/emoji1787.png

Bought it for the challenge, not particularly a fan of variegated plants or pale leaves. Time will tell but yes, guessing it may be a bit precious. This tank is heavily stocked and frequently fed so odds are stacked against it.

I'd just feel sorry for it every day, poor sickly thing.

“Elliot....”

1602186190022.jpeg

couldn't understand the hype, but I'm curious too see the new leaves coming out of these

Ditto. They weren’t particularly cheap specimens but what is this hobby without new learning.

Treating them like any other Anubius; carefully cleaned rock wool/gel from the rhizome and roots, no cutting or breaking up to begin with, superglue on select roots at the ends but never the rhizome, good contact between rhizome and hardscape, mostly positioned in path of Co2 mist but not in very high flow areas.

Locations of the Snow White are all roughly within the same line across the width of the tank and equal distance from central under the Solar RGB’s, only the depth varies. The specimens positioned within the top twelve inches were pearling gently last night so they’re not hopeless.

House cleaning; filters cleaned, new prefilter sponges in, new floss in, lily pipes raised overnight, removal of as much detritus this morning, sand out, new sand in, water change.

1602229186653.jpeg

If all that doesn’t give it enough of a leg up then I’ll try it in a low tech and a mid tech tank. Give it a month first....

Walking passed the tanks tonight and randomly began pratting around with the 1200. Started finger picking the odd plant, then started ripping the fissidens moss off the wood wholesale, then tore out a load of ratty trident....

1602358099374.jpeg

Was only on the way to the fridge for a beer and ended up doing a proper finger pinching pruning session 😂

Have come to the conclusion in all that absent minded action that if the tank is to carry on with no focal point it needs an extra layer of planting to over shadow the lower growth to add some interest. Have no idea how this will end up growth wise, just a flight of fancy really. Often wonder if other members work like this, no real plan but more organically across time? Sometimes seems like everyone gets inspired by nature whilst bugalugs here gets inspired by his fourth beer...

1602358232710.jpeg

Above all else the inhabitants seem happy and the green neons schooling together over the scape like in the above photos really makes it a fun scape to watch.

The stems would look cool poking over the top of a mixture of ferns though with mini bolbitis attached to the front side of the wood on the left. That annoyingly straight piece of manzi pointing out almost horizontally from the trident would be better used with epiphytes on to give mid ground contrast and to break up the similar green shades.

This project has really been a scraps tank up to now. However, with a few adjustments it should come good. White sand will be going soon as finally running out of the stuff, more earthy tones instead with graded stone like in the 600. The Christmas moss on stones at the base on the right can be spread out as well to stretch the scape out.

White plants are battling on:

1602360364311.jpeg

Seems to like high light but we’ll see after a month of photon bombardment from the Solar RGB’s how they’re doing.

@Geoffrey Rea is that Pinnatifida growing out of the top of the tank? Has that grown out of the tank on its own accord, or have you had to manually place it there?

I'm hoping to achieve similar on my tank - do you have to do anything special to look after the emersed parts?

Hey @Wookii

@Geoffrey Rea is that Pinnatifida growing out of the top of the tank? Has that grown out of the tank on its own accord, or have you had to manually place it there?

Answered this question a few pages back:

Never managed to get Pinnatifida to transition from submersed to emersed. These plants were moved from the summer tub and were bought emersed, planted half in the water and half out in the tub then have ended up in the 1200.

Even previous attempts of emersed bought Pinnatifida, then planted emersed directly, have died very quickly in this house. Relative humidity is 40% at 20C regularly so far too dry. I think because these plants were hardened up outside this summer they’re doing alright this time, but we’ll see.

Whats this

Shopping trip to Aquarium Gardens. Not the pint of milk and loaf of bread the wife was expecting when I said I’m just nipping to the shop. Some absolutely superb hardscape in AG today.

Curtains are closing on the scraps tank, it was a lockdown scape after all, entirely made out of what’s to hand and kind plant donations. Had a final tinker and with another month of growth it will be at its best so it can end with a bang to honour it.

Can get a lot more out of this 1200.

Back