• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Decade, New Decadence...

Nothing quite like the feeling of throwing £100 worth of aquarium plants on the compost heap! 😂

It’s soil food. Grow next years veg. Never consider the money aspect. Probably horrifying to think about quite frankly 😂

Wow, thats impressive! My tanks dont even produce half that much. I usually cant get myself to instantly toss it out so keep the cuttings in the bucket for a bit in the hopes I can help someone with it but I dont know anyone irl who would have use, so end up tossing it in the bin after a few days anyways.

2.5 litres of growth per week is the mindset. 10:1 once in the compost bin once broken down… best of all you know what’s in the compost. The helping others bit comes from handing out free vegetables.

Thats made ne laugh 🤣🤣 i am the same as @Wookii said i hate tossing plants in bin or compost but sometimes just to busy to be posting etc woth work and family

Ain’t no one gonna want these cuttings @Deano3 . Mostly ripping stuff out with hands and shady finger and thumb pruning. Fast and nasty but gets the job done and spares the scissors as much as possible. Besides… the post office already think I’m suspect posting all these ‘aquarium plants’ on the regular 😂

Envy you @Garuf as your trimming was probably enjoyable. Having an hour to sort a tank before school pickup feels like The Krypton Factor 😆

Oooff…

1637256666665.jpeg

1637256700750.jpeg

1637256742751.jpeg

1637257085953.jpeg

1637257044395.jpeg

Blimey. One-two punch needed I would say...

Went away for a few days. You know the way you train kids to switch off plugs that aren’t being used….? Unfortunately that one was connected to the autodoser and Co2.

Oh well. At least it isn’t a packet of Jammy Dodgers swirling around the tank again 😂

Very interested to see how you bring this back to glory, had something similar happen before and had no idea how to fix it. Is it a case of manual removal and ensuring the co2 and ferts are on point?

Wow that in a few days. Can see how powerful those lights actually are. Think you will manage to sort this out pretty quickly.

To be fair, it wasn’t the kid, he just tipped it over the edge. It’s this numpty’s fault. The temptation pre-existed when there was a heavy trim with no adjustment to ferts and co2. Just thought that it was possible to get away with it with a fast grow in period. Leaving the settings as is and letting the growth match.

Got a heavy November work-wise with travel and the purpose of the heavy trim was to restrict maintenance on this tank to quick water changes this month until there is better time availability…. It hasn’t worked 😂

But the three other tanks are trucking so not too much of a problem for time dedication for this one.

Very interested to see how you bring this back to glory, had something similar happen before and had no idea how to fix it. Is it a case of manual removal and ensuring the co2 and ferts are on point?

It’s being proactive with creating situations that hair algae can’t tolerate, but circumstances that the plants will survive under.

As for the reason why this specific tank is here, failed to make adjustments - operator error. It’s recoverable though. It was compounded with the power being cut, but that’s a cop out. Tank should be more stable than that.

There’s at least a couple of different hair algae in there. They’re attached to leaves, hardscape, the glass and in the carpet. It’s abundant where there’s light, it’s doing well down to dim lit substrate level. You’re not gonna win with just manual removal. You can’t cut growth away without implications on plant demands.

Toothbrush twirling is just resulting in hundreds of broken off strands spreading the problem. Glutaraldehyde will do sweet FA to it. The ‘it’s Co2 distribution’ argument works when you haven’t got multiple factors interacting. Switching off the ferts and Co2 for three days under high light just kicked the problem through the door.

Specific to this case… Proposed actions:

Have a coffee and watch the tank for a bit. See what else you’ve missed.

Today… maxed the Co2 out to as comfortably possible and dosed full EI. The plants are as full as they’re going to be. The Co2 injection rate is also ready for EI at lights on too. Distribution around the tank is already good because of the trim. (Caveat… don’t switch from urea based fertilising regimes to KNO3 overnight and just assume they’re the same).

Three day blackout with constant aeration.

Three days later, big and slow water change to remove as much manually as possible that is weakened. With water dropped (80% out), spray a water/phytoncide mix over everything remaining. Leave it for ten minutes. Refill.

Switch to full EI at lights on.

Clear filters of decay from die off and water change again if there’s free floating strands present.

It’s as big a dent as possible to make in a week with limited time. Thereafter it’s simple EI, Co2 tuned in and reassess. Expecting this to take a month before it’s resolved.

As for the reason why this specific tank is here, failed to make adjustments - operator error
I said to @Ady34 a while back that its refreshing to see these set ups "warts and all". Gives the likes of me some encouragement when I see the more accomplished guys out there also have the odd glitch.

Suppose it reminds us that having a successful planted tank is sometimes a marathon, not a sprint.

Enjoy the rodeo Geoff.

Hi all,
Have a coffee and watch the tank for a bit. See what else you’ve missed.
Always a <"good idea">. You need to play <"James Carr"> or <"Bobby Blue Bland"> while you are watching.
Clear filters of decay from die off and water change again if there’s free floating strands present.

It’s as big a dent as possible to make in a week with limited time. Thereafter it’s simple EI, Co2 tuned in and reassess. Expecting this to take a month before it’s resolved.
I'm interested in the outcome of this one.

cheers Darrel

Ditto - I’m going to be following this with interest too, hair algae has always been the most difficult to deal with of all the algae types, for me, as there never seems to be a quick fix like there can be for other types.

Man that's some real nightmare fuel. Confident you'll salvage it though. Being able to bring a tank back from an algae infestation is what separates the pros from the amatuers imo.

Suppose it reminds us that having a successful planted tank is sometimes a marathon, not a sprint.

It’s a choice. To care or not to care. Accomplishment is equal to ongoing care. If you bought a hamster, put it into a cage and stopped caring for a month, Tiddles would meet his maker pretty quickly. High demand tanks are similar, they only run so far before interventions are needed.

I'm interested in the outcome of this one.

There’s several items on the to do list which have cropped up over the last month; two lots of hair algae, GSA on the pipework, poor growth of the eleocharis which is being overtaken by moss, poorly performing lower growth on multiple species and a tank owner with low motivation.

The broader outcome is adapting the system to take care of all the above. The most obvious factor that would impact all items would be a shift in nutrient availability from the substrate (stopped using root tabs/let growth get emersed with a lot of access to light and Co2). Demands went up, my inaction was found wanting…

hair algae has always been the most difficult to deal with of all the algae types, for me, as there never seems to be a quick fix like there can be for other types.

It does well even if the plants are doing well. Hence the blackout, manual removal and spraying all plants and surfaces with a phytoncide/water mix whilst the tank is drained immediately after the blackout. Combined, it’s a bloody haymaker in the face of the hair algae, with all momentum being put into slowing it down.

EI straight after the blackout is the best way I know of for tilting growth in the plants favour with a minimal potential for error. You’ll note that the Co2 was setup perfectly for EI before the blackout. Yeah… that bit is kinda important. You don’t want anything other than perfect Co2 when the lights go back on or you’re in for a lot of pain. Sort the Co2 out before a blackout, always. You want to hit the ground running.

All those things on the list above are system problems, tightly related to nutrient availability so the fix isn’t too hard to execute. The emersed growth changed the demands. GSA is a red flag for lack of phosphate availability. Why muck around with any dosing regime other than EI at this point and ongoing? Sort of made clear that the want for this tank is growth straight out of the water… feed the damn thing properly.

The wild card here is what is happening to the bacterial assemblage in these 72 hours. Got good surface agitation going but we’ll see how much it can meet the oxygen demands to deal with the inhabitants, the decay and the bacterial colonies.

Man that's some real nightmare fuel. Confident you'll salvage it though. Being able to bring a tank back from an algae infestation is what separates the pros from the amatuers imo.

Matter of time. The plants want to thrive, just gotta give them what they need. All the other tanks are doing well so can spend some more time on getting this one back to spec.

Great to see Geoffrey sure you will get under control quickly, thanks for sharing, can i ask what is phytoncide ? I have only ever used flourish excel what is glutaraldehyde.

thanks dean

Hey @Deano3

Straight up… don’t know. Here’s the Wiki page on Phytoncide and the product I’m referring to is ADA’s Phyton-Git Sol (the Sol is just a version that is a thicker solution). Have friends in Asia who seem aware of the use of phytoncides for gardening as commonly as we are aware of the use of seaweed extract as a growth hormone here. Phytoncide just doesn’t seem to be a thing in the west, no clue why.

Discussion in this thread but not many conclusions, sort of descended into a debate about cost rather than overall utility of Phyton-Git. Viktor of Green Aqua seemed to be a fan of Phyton-Git a decade ago, as you can see in the thread. It’s a nice to have in the toolkit.

Personally, have had to do maintenance for folks and turned some pretty disastrous tanks around using this stuff. It obviously involved more than just a ‘magic potion’, correcting dosing/lighting/Co2 as well. But it’s excellent at killing the offender [insert algae here] but leaving the plant tissues intact to fight on with no damage from application. The same scenario using excel/glutaraldehyde or hydrogen peroxide would have been a non-starter due to tissue damage.

It is an end game solution for Cyanobacteria/BGA as well but does leave one wondering what it might do to other bacterium we may not want coming to harm. However, have seen it clear several tanks of BGA successfully and it never returned in those systems thereafter.

Ditto - I’m going to be following this with interest too, hair algae has always been the most difficult to deal with of all the algae types, for me, as there never seems to be a quick fix like there can be for other types.
How about Amano shrimp, black mollies etc?

Algaexit will kill so many shrimp IME. Not all though, depending on the dose.

How about Amano shrimp, black mollies etc?

To be honest I’ve never seen amano shrimp eating significant amounts of mature hair algae in a system where they have other food options. As for Mollies, that’s really a stocking choice, I wouldn’t consider them an algae control option.

For me, a large snail and shrimp population, and consistent CO2 and ferts means I no longer see much visible hair algae, but it will be great to follow @Geoffrey Rea’s blow by blow account to tackling his outbreak here.

To be honest I’ve never seen amano shrimp eating significant amounts of mature hair algae in a system where they have other food options.
Be neither. I realised mine had all died off when I took down my last scape, but I don't really remember them ever having much interest in algae. Dropping a algae wafer in however, that had a different response. Probably won't be stocking them this time around.
@Geoffrey Rea thank you for going into so much detail in your responses, it really does help someone like me following along and seeing the steps you take to regain control.

Verrrryyy interesting…as always @Geoffrey Rea !

My best weapons against hair thread algae are always spot on co2, black out and easy life algexit (in last resort only).

Good luck mate!

Hey @CooKieS this conversation may interest you, but is likely to be a red rag to a bull for some as it is much less than scientific. However… We both have experience of conducting a tank to look just the way we want, when we want, so should be interesting.

Just to frame the conversation with a couple of questions:

Is it possible to run a mixed planted, high tech tank, to the same standard from twelve months onwards?

What can be done to overcome the issues at around twelve months commonplace in these sort of tanks?

Think you know what I’m getting at here, there’s a reason folks rescape yearly. Stores that run display tanks into a second or third year understand the drop in performance being referred to. Currently it is relevant to you as you have continued running your IAPLC entry tank a little longer, so intrigued to know what you’re noticing about your setup too. Yours is not so dissimilar as it uses aquarium soil, unlike some moss dominant entries that use the absolute minimum amount of soil in the setup.

Backdrop to the current situation here… Stopped thinking about this 1200 with any clarity and it ended up here. The current condition is part of a wider set of problems so looking to address them rather than just fix the algae. Not concerned about the hair algae, it’s feedback and this is useful.

The reef tank stole this 1200’s thunder, but was necessary to keep the marine setup moving. Had to quickly solve a hair algae problem that was stalling the startup on that setup. It worked out pretty quickly once the relationships holding the system in that state became clear. Marine has its own set of tools but the rules aren’t too dissimilar.

Before:

1637414431217.jpeg

After:

1637414457149.jpeg

Think there was a great learning to be had there regarding taking care of your systems bacterial colonies first. I believe the success of the Utricularia graminifolia setup is also due, in part, to considering the importance of all the things we rely on that we cannot see.

Currently considering the implications of my actions on the 1200 by retracing the steps that have got the tank to this place.

Think you can deeply appreciate the importance of balancing methods with aesthetic value in a tank @CooKieS . For example, compact S. repens or L. arcuata with needle sharp orange to red leaves, even deeper red H. pinnatifida to accent a spot. Those wants are all mapped on to the scape design and what the layout will permit distribution wise too.

1637414514858.jpeg

1637414532561.jpeg

1637414551006.jpeg

The task set on the 1200 is to find out if you can do this outside of the first year of a setup; maintain those aesthetic practices with soil that has gone passed a year.

Ferts - The first half of the life of the 1200 has for all intents and purposes been ADA’s regime; Powersand, Bacter 100, Amazonia, Green Brighty neutral K, Green Brighty Mineral. This was supplemented with periodic additions of root tabs, pushed into the crevices of tactically placed lava rock so the task could be done blind:

1637414603280.jpeg

1637414619769.jpeg

1637414636869.jpeg

1637414652821.jpeg

1637414669703.jpeg

Once the soil is in, if you don’t remember where the crevices are it becomes difficult to get a tab through the soil and Powersand to the base glass. Point is the replenishment of root tabs has always been primarily at the back of the setup where the Co2 mist sprays left to right and the light is strongest. It’s a high demand area.

This worked, for a good while:

1637414739734.jpeg

Around the six month mark noticed the epiphytes required much more care so switched the dosing regime. Will get to this in a moment.

Up until this point, any nitrate and phosphate needs were catered to from the substrate and fish loading. It’s useful as anything planted into the soil has those mobile nutrients available and can make withdrawals from the bank of nutrients in the substrate. Associated with this is running the Co2 in the green with more leeway for error. N-P-Co2 balance is much more customisable with substrate dependence for the first two. Think ADA designed their products this way to decrease failure rates of patrons of their system.

The Co2 becomes the controlling aspect of the three as N and P are always available, but not the primary driver of growth. The Co2 puts a limit on the growth and the amount of photosynthesis, but the leaves go red to adapt to the conditions of high light. Instead of melt we get compact, coloured forms.

Enter alternatives to ADA’s Brighty K and Mineral… APT Zero, Tropica Premium [insert favourite brand here]. All liquid ferts with nitrate and phosphate omitted. Think the point missed here is this works with fresh soil that is loaded but is on a downward trajectory. The ‘lean’ dosing isn’t lean at all, it’s just a system that takes advantage of location and regulation of the transportation of nutrients within the plants.

Back to the epiphytes… same source water but integration of KNO3 and KH2PO4 into the water column dosing. Source water is RODI taken all the way down to 0TDS. Sample is sent off for analysis every three months and the unit is on a conservative maintenance schedule. It’s as much control as you can have on the input water.

The intervention to boost epiphyte health…

Full breakdown of the new weekly inputs in ppm:

KNO3

NO3 5
N 1.13
K 3.15

KH2PO4

PO4 1
P 0.33
K 0.41

CaCl

Cl 5.11
Ca 2.89
dGH 0.4

CaSO4.2H20

Ca 9.31
S 7.45
dGH 1.3

MgSO4.7H2O

Mg 3.94
S 5.2
dGH 0.91

K2CO3

K 7.92
CO3 6.08
dKH 0.57

Condensed:

NO3 5
N 1.13
K 11.48
PO4 1
P 0.33
Cl 5.11
Ca 12.2
S 12.65
Mg 3.94
CO3 6.08

Ca : K : Mg

12.2: 11.48 : 3.94

(Note: when K is input over the week that ratio is targeted to be closer to 3:2:1 consistently)

This carried the tank through another three months. Overall health was good although there were losses on colouration. Adapted this by changing some species out that were more colourful by virtue rather than conditions.

1637415461273.jpeg

With the ‘slightly’ more comprehensive water column fertilisation the viable range of Co2 concentration got tighter and required more management. It was workable though. Further round of root tabs in during this period. Nothing too shabby, but again, slowly getting away from good form and colouration:

1637417616764.jpeg

Finally… The final quarter of the year bringing us to today.

Shifted over to DIY Tropica TPN+ using ammonium nitrate for N source. No root tabs.

No idea of the condition of the soil at this point. However, two things are pretty certain; the CEC of the soil will have been on a downward trajectory and the buffering capacity of the soil will be diminished.

Decided to place a bet on letting growth go emersed to increase Co2 respiration from the roots. Alter the pH locally in the soil.

Plan was to continue with periodic root tabs, then lean more heavily on water column fertilisation with the root tabs as a safety net. Started the emersed on one side to see if there was any notable difference in growth from the soil. This was between the emersed right and the still submersed left.

1637418373737.jpeg

1637418399400.jpeg

1637418416925.jpeg

The tank got a bump on the right side so continued with letting the left side join the party.

1637418692294.jpeg

It was going well. But then against better judgement, all this growth was cut back to submersed.

1637418946609.jpeg

No availability for maintenance in November so the idea was to improve distribution around the tank with Co2 dialled in, then let it grow out again this month in my absence. Confused my needs with the tanks needs unfortunately, it would have been better to leave it growing in hindsight.

This slow shift towards emersed growth and greater levels of dosing via the water column may have worked. The high uptake from the emersed growth got a reaction from some species located submersed and sharing the soil, bringing out signature colouration of lean water column conditions. It was a very localised difference.

If I had to guess, would say slowing the additional Co2 respiration from the roots of the emersed growth in one go (by trimming back to submersed) was a really, really bad move.

And here we are today…

Long one @CooKieS but interested to know if any of these experiences chime with your experience?

I know you can elongate the downward trajectory of a tanks life by simply using massive piles of soil… ADA show tanks and Green Aqua displays for example.

Some ADA display tanks have even been stripped out, had the soil replaced and then the hard scape/plants returned to give them a second burst of life. That’s cheating 😂

Wonder if I’m just pissin’ in the wind here trying to get too much of a good thing. Is it that everything simply has a beginning, a middle and an end with regards to maintaining these plant forms to that standard?

Anyway… that’s this tank, one of many. The algae will be destroyed and beer will be drank to celebrate in due course.. Just wondered if you’ve seen any examples of comp spec tanks run longer term, or had success longer term with these plant forms/colouration personally?

Back