• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Decade, New Decadence...

Good stuff - I always find its less painful and more productive asking for forgiveness than permission! 😂

Agreed, although we’re graduating to just say nothing and cracking on 😂 See if they even notice.

But as usual I'm arriving late to the party... or maybe early for the next episode?

There better be another as we’re approaching a ridiculous amount spent on hardscape for this next project. There’s another on the way, for sure. Decade of decadence…

So now you've been vetoed on the giant iwagumi, what is the plan @Geoffrey Rea?

Did warn everyone here that the giant Iwagumi was the cheap option. To answer your question properly @Wookii doing the next scape as a comp scape. Looky nicey from one angle deal… Not particularly interested in entering, but without the threat of judgement and commitment to that one angle, know that the proverbial finger won’t be pulled out.

There’s 200kg of stone and an eye watering amount of wood being gathered to play with. Five/six bags of soil, powder and Powersand.

If it can be pulled off… got classic old school ADA scaping methods in mind with height right to the waterline, akin to Green Aqua’s style of banking up extremely high so the back is very shallow. It also gives a gargantuan amount of banked nutrition. With appropriately selected species think there’ll be a fair bit of mileage from the substrate.

If we’re skipping comp entry then can maybe go with emersed growth out of the scape from the get go. No ‘in-tank only’ photo to worry about and can reach for the sky. Considering a second set of lighting source above the Solar RGB’s to make this work longer term as it gains height.

Anyway… all in this time @Wookii

We’ll see if we can combine all the experience over the years into one setup. Truth be told, found this last scape to be a disappointment but it fitted in with the time constraints at the time. Never too late to try again.

what you thinking, black water scape, or power driven algae farm...

In Purigen we trust @John q

1654803258445.jpeg

The wood being used hasn’t been leaching tannins really from looking at a scape that uses the same. Been keeping an eye on it.

Could be an interesting startup process to share. Those five/six bags of soil and bag of powder are ADA Amazonia type 1… plenty of ammonia.

suspect you'll succeed with whatever you put the minds eye to 🥰

Just need to understand the assignment, then execute. Tank will need a tight leash this time around.

There’s 200kg of stone and an eye watering amount of wood being gathered to play with. Five/six bags of soil, powder and Powersand.

:oops: . . . is there going to to be any water in this scape? 😂

Anyway… all in this time @Wookii

Awesome sauce!

We’ll see if we can combine all the experience over the years into one setup. Truth be told, found this last scape to be a disappointment but it fitted in with the time constraints at the time. Never too late to try again.

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself there, 99% of folks on here would be over the moon with that scape. That said, it will be interesting to see you put yourself 'under the cosh' with something that's really going to test your skills!

:oops: . . . is there going to to be any water in this scape? 😂

That is very much an important question that has some others attached to it. Will be measuring the total water volume going in to measure displacement, the water volume will be significantly lower than usual this time.

Obviously need to know for water column dosing but it’s also causing concern over keeping the current stock.

Love the Green Neons and they’ve been with us since 2017. They’re as much family as tetras can be considered family. But there’s 60-70 of them:

1654849035567.jpeg

There’s also the White Cloud Mountain Minnows as well. Swimming space will be minimal. Gonna hurt but may have to give them to a new home.

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself there, 99% of folks on here would be over the moon with that scape.

Just become majorly unimpressed and ‘a glass half empty and draining fast…’ sort of person with scapes lately.

However, watching Pavol Kulanda at AG scape the hell out of the AS900 lit a fire under my ass 🔥 Think his no nonsense approach with no philosophical diatribe attached really struck a chord.

That said, it will be interesting to see you put yourself 'under the cosh' with something that's really going to test your skills!

It’s simple really… Just looking for, ‘oh my gawd… did we really create that?!?’ every time you walk into the room 😂

It’s simple really… Just looking for, ‘oh my gawd… did we really create that?!?’ every time you walk into the room 😂
Hmm.
That’s an interesting one…
I often think the best scapes are the ones where you can’t see a creators hand at all yet it’s the ones that are extremely literal that get all the whiz bang comments and you can see the artificially of it all in the work.
Is it a waterfall or does it make you think of waterfalls.

Hmm.
I often think the best scapes are the ones where you can’t see a creators hand at all yet it’s the ones that are extremely literal that get all the whiz bang comments and you can see the artificially of it all in the work.

Don’t really know @Garuf . Was with @Ady34 and @Tim Harrison chatting about ‘where’ scapes come from, or what drives design.

Sure they’ll correct if this is wrong but Ady works from a concept, Tim with a clear idea of what he wants to see, myself ‘off the cuff’ in the moment from a feeling that may pop in whilst placing. Obviously the three aren’t mutually exclusive when putting something together but we all have preferences about the process.

Hmm.
Don’t really know @Garuf . Was with @Ady34 and @Tim Harrison chatting about ‘where’ scapes come from, or what drives design.

Sure they’ll correct if this is wrong but Ady works from a concept, Tim with a clear idea of what he wants to see, myself ‘off the cuff’ in the moment from a feeling that may pop in whilst placing. Obviously the three aren’t mutually exclusive when putting something together but we all have preferences about the process.
It’s an interesting point. I think that’s what makes aquascaping so accessible. It is versatile and individual. You can create whatever you like, if you put your work forward in a public domain some will like what you do and others will not. Everyone has preferences and the longer I ‘do’ this hobby the more appreciative I’ve become of other styles. Whilst I cannot see myself wanting to live with certain styles I can appreciate the creativity and skill. I agree with you @Garuf that the ones that you can’t see a creators hand are often the best in the purist NA style as they look most natural and hit the; it makes you think of ‘the waterfall’ rather than replicating one. The stones and wood are positioned as it could in nature and the planting looks natural around it all. That is a personal preference though, and the NA style is still a style, just less contrived than say diorama.
I am hugely interested to see what you create @Geoffrey Rea, 200kg of stone 😱 With the wood also chosen already do you not have an idea of what you want to create or literally will you just pick them up and see what happens?
Like you say I tend to have an idea or concept first and use the hardscape to then create that. My last few scapes in particular have been from strong ideas and layouts practiced in dojos from concepts. When using new hardscape materials this method can be more cost effective as you can pick and buy the particular hardscape pieces you use in store rather than needing a huge selection and variety at home. I’m not sure I’d like to pop some hardscape down and see what happens, although it might be quite refreshing. At least you have your stone and wood types chosen so are working within those limitations.
You are also creating a single viewpoint based scape, is this simply to challenge yourself or do you predominantly view this tank from a particular position so it makes sense to scape this way? It’s interesting how as scapers we offer ourselves different challenges or restrictions. I work to a concept so that almost dictates my thought process, you are more free hardscaping but with other limitations in mind in this instance single viewpoint and high banked substrate.
I will look forward to following progress and it was nice to put a face to the name the other week and have a natter about the hobby.
Cheerio.

Last edited:
I am hugely interested to see what you create @Geoffrey Rea, 200kg of stone 😱 With the wood also chosen already do you not have an idea of what you want to create or literally will you just pick them up and see what happens?

Pretty much. However, this is exactly how it was when working at Aquarium Gardens. It’s business as usual really. Customer walks in, wants a scape, doesn’t have a clue what though, then you just start creating…

Without a concept you have to have lots of materials, be willing to cut/snap wood, be willing to shatter rock to fit as there’s always unforeseen circumstances without a plan around a set amount of materials.

You are also creating a single viewpoint based scape, is this simply to challenge yourself or do you predominantly view this tank from a particular position so it makes sense to scape this way?

It makes no sense at all, there’s a wall directly opposite and views are from left and right angles 😂 Will have to do a George and get a stool to sit on to enjoy the view….

I work to a concept so that almost dictates my thought process, you are more free hardscaping but with other limitations in mind

It’s far smarter to work towards materialising desire, than to desire to materialise. Certainly cheaper. Do miss the practice of churning out scape after scape on the regular for customers as wasn’t paying the bill.

You said it best @Ady34 :

I think that’s what makes aquascaping so accessible. It is versatile and individual. You can create whatever you like, if you put your work forward in a public domain some will like what you do and others will not. Everyone has preferences and the longer I ‘do’ this hobby the more appreciative I’ve become of other styles.

Appreciating others and the way they do things is in short supply in this world. Love hanging out with scapers as they’re always curious and unthreatened by difference.

I will look forward to following progress and it was nice to put a face to the name the other week and have a matter about the hobby.

Likewise buddy and I’m sure, with time, I too will come to like it vertically 😂

I agree with you @Garuf that the ones that you can’t see a creators hand are often the best in the purist NA style as they look most natural and hit the; it makes you think of ‘the waterfall’ rather than replicating one. The stones and wood are positioned as it could in nature’s and the planting looks natural around it all. That is a personal preference though, and the NA style is still a style, just less contrived than say diorama.
That goes for me too. The question often foremost in my mind when I'm scaping is... does it look natural and is it likely to occur through natural processes? Next question is… can I achieve a similar look with less hardscape? Less is often more.
Tim with a clear idea of what he wants to see, myself ‘off the cuff’ in the moment from a feeling that may pop in whilst placing.
I pretty much always start out with a clear idea of the scape I want to create. Likewise there are considerations like angle of view, materials at my disposal, maintenance, and planting. However, I’m always open to the moment and the impulse of inspiration, so the creative process is fluid.

Looking forward to seeing what you’re going to do with all that hardscape and soil Geoff. Either way the hard part is growing healthy plants; that’s something you definitely don’t have a problem with.

Always enjoy chatting with you guys, and I’m even warming to the idea of liking it vertically 😁

Huzzah!

Wood finally arrived:

1657629693218.jpeg

Texture is awesome:

1657629734001.jpeg

Plenty of emersed L. arcuata for the next one too:

1657629855263.jpeg

Going to try and restrict the poaching from the current setup to emersed growth only. Left everything to grow out. There’s so much moss floating around and would rather not introduce it to the new scape. It would become nigh impossible to control with all the holes in the wood.

So this will be scape #3 in the 1200.

Scape #1 was a triangular using hard tap:

1657630672345.jpeg

1657630727380.jpeg

Scape #2 a poorly executed valley scape using RO:

1657630763725.jpeg

But it was fun playing with plant forms in soft water and has lasted 19 months. Can’t grumble.

Then scape #3 is going to be hardscape heavy for a bit of diversity. Excited now wood/rock is all gathered and ready to go, looking forward to another crack at a 1200 scape.

Temporary plant holding tank up and running:

1657824644929.jpeg

Just a few plants to get started. Will be adding a ton to this tank in the coming days. Existing media cleared the water in 24 hours. Also preserves the memory from the filters media and can use it to seed the next setup.

Looking for multiple branched stems after several cuts, roots and all to plant into the next scape. Shouldn’t skip a beat. A lot of these plants have been smothered by growth, starved of light or left to go emersed. Can get them back to proper form in here in the meantime. Will also use the soil from the holding tank in the 1200 for a jump start.

Can’t wait to see your next artwork! ;)

Already know the design is going to be taxing @CooKieS

Between the submersed and emersed growth the scape will be a 4ft x 4ft wall of plants. It’s the 2ft of emersed growth that requires thought. All new but have a good friend for advice. The submersed growth will be up against flow issues due to the amount of scape involved but… that’s just scaping.

Looking forward to what you come up with //emoji.tapatalk-cdn.com/emoji106.png

It’s coming @DeepMetropolis . Just got a few stages to get through. Need to clear the desired plants into the holding tank. Hack the lot down in the 1200.

Then acclimating the fish to hard water again in the 1200 as is. The Green Neons are going in Tai Strietman ‘s 900 scape in Aquarium Gardens. Then net the rest and it’s all getting torn down.

Quite frankly the scaping part will be so much easier than all this faff 😂

That first scape is/was still a masterpiece.

Many thanks @Paulus 🙏🏽 Proud of that one as it shows that hard tap water isn’t, and never will be, a barrier to aquascaping.

Back