• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Diffuser !!!!!

Sam,

I wasn,t suggesting a needle valve, just some type of flow restrictor valve on each line after the split. There are tube connectors that will do this.

I would have thought that any difference in resistance in line A or B, either in the length of tubing ( which will have a surface roughness) or the % efficiency (if same type) or size (if different type) of diffuser would cause gas to flow by the easiest route possible. This would give an uneven distribution of gas. In the worst case gas would flow through one diffuser only, defeating the point of using two diffusers to distribute gas evenly to each end of the tank. I would suspect that in any case, unless you balance the flow/ resistance to flow; you will get an uneven diffusion from each outlet.

Just my thoughts.

Neil

Neil,
You're correct in that it is just about impossible to balance gas flows between two orifices dues to differing resistances. The good news is that you don't really need to worry about that at all. Two diffusers with uneven flow having their outputs at opposite ends of the tank do a better and quicker job of getting saturated CO2 more evenly distributed than a single diffuser. This is especially true for larger tanks. In a 4 foot tank for example if you only had a single diffuser, it takes longer to saturate the far end. Adding the second diffuser, even if the flow rate is unequal, gets dissolved gas to that end immediately. At higher injection rates (which is the case for larger tanks) the unevenness becomes still less important.

You definitely want to avoid extra gadgets and extra connections since these only add trouble, i.e. more potential leak areas. ;)

Cheers,

Back