• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New external CO2 diffusers

amy4342

Well found - I'm pretty sure the second one is for internal use, which is why it's so cheap - the joints don't have to be watertight - and they certainly don't look it!

Mark

Lol, thanks.

I'm pretty sure the second one is for internal use, which is why it's so cheap - the joints don't have to be watertight - and they certainly don't look it!

Yea, shame. I wonder if it was covered with silicone or something? Hmmmm. Might be worth an experiment there.

Hey Amy. The first mixer type has been around a while. Not sure if many in the UK have tried it though. I seem to remember someone on the forums trying one and not being too impressed. I think it was difficult to get their filter primed again, as it would sort of air lock, from memory. It might of been Themuleous but can't remember.

The other looks like an AquaticMagic/Chinese jobby. I have a smaller one which wasn't particularly good :( I got it from Dan, who had problems with it leaking. I siliconed it up and it ran OK, but CO2 built up in it pretty quick and it needed to be tipped about to get rid of the bubble.

Edit: I know that Zig has used one of these before, and quite liked it:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120401506709

The first link is a for a Jaqno style reactor, they've been around for a good while now, and I got one from eBay around 18 months ago.

Whilst they work, they are very bulky. It does tend to get air build up inside, and the 'release valve' is useless. If mine gets too bad it is as easy to take a bucket of water to the tank, submerge the reactor, open it up to release the air and close it again. Do this with dechlorinated water obviously :)

Because of how the CO2 enters the reactor it kinda of doubles as a bubble counter too. It's a shame it doesn't have a ceramic diffuser on the inside mind, as this would aid CO2 entering the water stream, but I've no issues keeping a stable level of CO2 when using one, though I've not used a drop checker for months since mine broke...

Nry

As the water is drawn (as it is water input strainer) the Co2 gas is mixed the the water going into the filter - diagram 1, diagram 2 shows the co2 mixer is in line with incoming water from the tank and again is mixed whilst in the filter. At the bottom of the packaging there is stated internal or external - this mean the mixer is inside the tank for diagram 1 and diagram 2 the mixer is outside the tank.

Regards

paul.

For the money it's almost worth trying! My tiny Rekord60 cabinet is crammed to bursting with the Jaqno reactor and TetraTecEX filter, the eBay one on the external option would be a very neat bit of equipment!

Ordered one myself, for the sake of £4.99 delivered if it's rubbish then no big loss.

Stupid me never even thought about the tubing diameter it needs! I'm using 12/13mm tubing so with luck it'll fit!

nry said:
Stupid me never even thought about the tubing diameter it needs! I'm using 12/13mm tubing so with luck it'll fit!

lol, Andy run his on an EX700 which has 12/13mm so you should be fine!

thanks for the link nelson, although it looks as though he has it upside down :? the water will flow down into the CO2 cannister like that!

Mine turned up today and it is a 'Boyu' diffuser as it's labelled so on the box.

For the money it seems rather good to be truthful - if anyone has followed my other threads then sods law means I can't try this at the moment, but it is nothing more than a ceramic diffuser cylinder inside a sealed clear cylinder, andf the water flows through the middle of the ceramic section. At a guess it should give a very good diffusion rate and might even give some fine bubbles into the water flow and then into the tank.

The box pictures seem a little mixed up though - it implies that for external use the diffuser goes on the outlet pipe of the filter, but it should go on the inlet pipe into the tank.

It it works well then it's the best value external diffuser I've ever come across! It's like a cheap plastic version of the CalAqua glass inline diffuser...

nry said:
Mine turned up today and it is a 'Boyu' diffuser as it's labelled so on the box.

For the money it seems rather good to be truthful - if anyone has followed my other threads then sods law means I can't try this at the moment, but it is nothing more than a ceramic diffuser cylinder inside a sealed clear cylinder, andf the water flows through the middle of the ceramic section. At a guess it should give a very good diffusion rate and might even give some fine bubbles into the water flow and then into the tank.

The box pictures seem a little mixed up though - it implies that for external use the diffuser goes on the outlet pipe of the filter, but it should go on the inlet pipe into the tank.

It it works well then it's the best value external diffuser I've ever come across! It's like a cheap plastic version of the CalAqua glass inline diffuser...

cool, does it say anything about diameter of hosing?

No, but the pipe attachments are big enough for all sizes :)

Back