New Filter Question

Discussion in 'Filters, Filtration and Pumps' started by chrisjj, 12 Jan 2010.

1. chrisjj

chrisjj Newly Registered

A brief history:

My tank holds 60ltrs of water:

Thought my old filter was on way out (Aquael fan 2 plus - 450lph) ......
    Bought new (better?) Fluval U3 filter (600lph).....
    Put new one in tank with old one .....
    Reduced power a bit on both....

Did I do right?
    If so, how long will it take for the new one to be ready? I don't want to mess around with moving media from one to the other - I don't mind both filters being in there for a bit.

As it turns out, the old one was just a bit blocked & is working fine :).

I will leave the new one in the tank though, as it seems to be better & has bigger flow rate and the old one will be fine for a little inevitable tank #2 :D

2. Dolly Sprint 16v

Dolly Sprint 16v Member

Chris
    Not trying to be funny - but how long is a piece of string :?: personally I would run it for a couple of weeks or even a month - better to be safe than sorry.

Regards
    paul.

3. chrisjj

chrisjj Newly Registered

I assume that this has been done before - I just wondered what other people have experienced?

I was thinking a number of weeks anyway - my fishless cycle took 3 weeks, thought maybe that the new filter would be ready a bit quicker as the mature one is in there too.

Cheers

4. vauxhallmark

vauxhallmark Member

If you want to be really safe, take the media out of the old filter in stages - you can make up the time scale, but an example would be:

3 weeks - run both
    next week - take out 1/3 of old media

If you just run them side by side and they're similar volumes you might end up halving your bacterial colony if you just remove one filter - this way you can do it more slowly.

Good luck,

Mark

5. chrisjj

chrisjj Newly Registered

Good idea - when you say take out 1/3 - do you mean cut the sponge, or could I just rinse it a bit to reduce the bacteria population, then put it back?

I think I'll slowly increase the flow on the new one whilst decreasing the flow on the old - that should help too I guess?

I don't want any issues with my water quality if pos - I think I have pregnant Cardinal Shrimps!

Appologies if basic questions - am new to this!

Cheers

6. Dolly Sprint 16v

Dolly Sprint 16v Member

Chris

When I change my filters over - went from a TT1200 to a Eheim 2080, I used 2/3rd's of filter media from my TT1200 and placed it into my 2080 with 1/3rd of new Ehiem media, one month later I removed 1/3rd of the 2/3rd and replaced it with more new Ehiem media another month passed and I removed the remaining 1/3rd of TT1200 media and added more Ehiem media - after two months I was running with full Ehiem media. If you do decide to mix media - put the new media between the old media or make a sandwich with it - old bread with a new filling hmmmmmmm tasty :lol:

Regards
    paul.

N.B - I would run the two filters together less hassle.

7. chrisjj

chrisjj Newly Registered

Plan changed upon inspeciton of filters;

Fluval filter has 3 compartments - 2 sponge and carbon cartridges - one either side of a central cartridge holding ceramics. Each cartridge is rectangular. the cartridges each side hold a sponge and a carbon filter. The sponge is about twice as thick as the carbon filter.

Old filter has a square, cylindrical sponge.

I decided that I don't need the carbon filters for my set up.

I removed both thin carbon filters and both sponges from the side cartridges.
    I set aside both carbon filters & one sponge.
    I cut the other sponge down the middle (longitudinal) to make 2 thin sponges - these being about the same thickness as the carbon filters.

I then cut the original square mature filter down the middle - creating 2 rectangular sponges. These ended up being about the same size as the new sponges.

I've placed one (half) of the mature sponge (to replace the new sponge) & a thin new sponge (to replace the carbon filter) in each cartridge.

So, all the mature sponge is now in the new filter, plus a bit of new sponge, & it seems to be a reasonable fit.

My tank now has one new, more powerful filter containing all the mature sponge from the old filter.

I did all this in a bit of tank water, then put the water back in the tank - this water was obviously a bit mucky, but I wanted to get as much of the gunk back in the tank.

I hope this works & will test the water regularly over the next few days.

Fingers crossed!

8. chrisjj

chrisjj Newly Registered

Water crystal clear & water tests perfect.

Looks like it's been a successful filter change!

Cheers