• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Filter

I’ve ordered a new filter for my tank. I would normally just swap the existing Bio media over from the old unit and carry on. I want to change the type of media I’m using though. I have a couple of options. I could run the new filter alongside the old unit until it’s successfully seeded then remove the old filter. I’m not sure how well this would work or how long it might take. The other option is to swap the old media over and as the new filter is larger add the new Bio media in another tray. Again, I don’t know how long it would be best to leave the old media in the filter. Tank is planted 60L with shrimps and six Corydoras. Old media is Siporax and new will be Ziss ZM-11. Any thoughts?

I recently swapped 2 x SunSun HW 302s for 2 x Biomaster 350s.
I only transferred the Biohome from the old filters into the 350s which filled 2 trays in each filter. The other trays I just used some of the media Oase included.
There were no discernible problems as I think I had enough beneficial bacteria in the old media to keep the tank stable.

I think I’ll move the old media over and add as much new stuff as there is room for. I can then maybe remove the old media slowly over time.

Back