New foreground plant

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by Garuf, 30 May 2008.

1. Garuf

Garuf Member

2. Wayney

Wayney Member

I'm pretty sure that Java plants has that plant in stock at the mo ,I almost ordered some the other week.

3. Garuf

Garuf Member

Why are you even bothering with Java plants? Both of the times I've used them they have failed to come through.

4. Wayney

Wayney Member

geeez louise m8 someone seriously does'nt like java plants do they :lol:
    I only used them for easy growing stems and the one's i got were'nt that bad really

5. Arana

Arana Member

They are growing this in the display tank at Wetpets, looks good but seems to grow very slowly, well in their tank anyway :D

6. Garuf

Garuf Member

No, I really don't like Java. :rolleyes:

It's a nice plant I suspect the reports of it being rampant are correct and wet pets' hasn't got hold yet.

7. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

That makes two of us, ordered once one of those multi packs of plants, and most of it went in the bin!

8. Wayney

Wayney Member

I agree with you on that, I would'nt order a collection from them but the odd bunch of stems here and there i dont mind too much.

9. Garuf

Garuf Member

Out of 20 plants I got 2 that I'd ordered.
    Second order never arrived, chased it up and it hadn't been posted, arrived as labelled bags of mush.

ANYWAY, java suck lets move on and keep this on topic.

10. Wayney

Wayney Member

Agreed garuf, i did a quick search and found these http://www.ukwildflowers.com/Web_pages/ ... myweed.htm
    http://www.eppo.org/QUARANTINE/plants/C ... sii_DS.pdf

Gives a pretty good insight into how prolific the plant/weed can be.

EDIT: 1st link does'nt work, not sure why :?

11. Garuf

Garuf Member

look on your 1st link there is the word "link" just before http, delete it ( :)

12. Wayney

Wayney Member

DOH! :oops:

13. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

Please note that this species is a Schedule 9 species listed as being an invasive non-native. It really shouldn't be sold and if you do have some then please make sure any clippings are disposed of in a way that they can never get into any waterways as they cam cause havoc.

http://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/assets/c ... pecies.pdf

14. Egmel

Egmel Member

So why do Java-plants have it for sale?

I posted this in TFF when I came across it a few months ago, I was about to buy some but when I searched for it on greenline they said they didn't stock it because it was an invasive species. No one seemed that interested.

I dispose of most of my clippings into my compost bin, hopefully the same heat which kills off weed seeds will also kill off any plant bits.

Is it worth compiling a sticky of invasive plants with photos so that more people are aware?

15. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

Unfortunately the law isn't quite as strict with these as it should be IMHO. Some consciensus retailers police themselves and should be supported IMO for doing this and other good practice.
    You will be ok composting the Crassula as it isn't that invasive except in waterways.

I will compile a thread for it and link to the web pages on Schedule 9 species.