• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

(New?) Glass surface skimming pipework

Jimmy Dale

Dear all,

I have just ordered one of these from ebay NAG 12/16 Glass inflow Surface skimmer | eBay

it looks fairly neat and should do the job I hope. I have been using an eheim skim 350 on the occasions when it is needed but I don't like the look of it cluttering up my tank. The above piece of pipework looks as if it will be an aesthetically pleasing solution to removal of oils / settled dust on my tank.

My question is - has anyone tried one of these before or similar? Is there anything I need to be aware of in terms of adjusting flow rates, problematic venturing, off putting slurping noises etc?

Cheers,

Jimmy

Dear all,

I have just ordered one of these from ebay NAG 12/16 Glass inflow Surface skimmer | eBay

it looks fairly neat and should do the job I hope. I have been using an eheim skim 350 on the occasions when it is needed but I don't like the look of it cluttering up my tank. The above piece of pipework looks as if it will be an aesthetically pleasing solution to removal of oils / settled dust on my tank.

My question is - has anyone tried one of these before or similar? Is there anything I need to be aware of in terms of adjusting flow rates, problematic venturing, off putting slurping noises etc?

Cheers,

Jimmy

Hello Jimmy,

I saw one of these and am considering getting one, i notice you have installed in your tank how have you found using it?

Hello Jimmy, I saw one of these and am considering getting one, i notice you have installed in your tank how have you found using it?

Get one! I totally rate it. I can't believe ADA haven't cashed in on this idea. It works a treat, only one very minor drawback is that the inside the tank part of the pipework is quite long so it will literally come all the way to the floor in a 30cm tall tank but otherwise it does a great job without having to have an obtrusive pump in the tank. It has a handy little insert at the bottom to balance the flow between drawing from the bottom and skimming from the top. This takes a little fiddling the first time but but then it just works a treat. Also you will want to order yourself a black 20mm O ring as well from ebay of B&Q as for some reason the one supplied is red.

As an aside some of the other NAG glassware on ebay is pretty nice. They also do a nice little glass inline co2 diffuser and some other novel bits.

Get one! I totally rate it. I can't believe ADA haven't cashed in on this idea. It works a treat, only one very minor drawback is that the inside the tank part of the pipework is quite long so it will literally come all the way to the floor in a 30cm tall tank but otherwise it does a great job without having to have an obtrusive pump in the tank. It has a handy little insert at the bottom to balance the flow between drawing from the bottom and skimming from the top. This takes a little fiddling the first time but but then it just works a treat. Also you will want to order yourself a black 20mm O ring as well from ebay of B&Q as for some reason the one supplied is red.

As an aside some of the other NAG glassware on ebay is pretty nice. They also do a nice little glass inline co2 diffuser and some other novel bits.

Hello Jimmy,

Thxs for getting back to me, just placed on order for one from ebay, thou i got my self the 16/22mm version. My tank is 45mm high so hopefully should but ok height wise. :)

Thanks man! i hope so to... Lovely looking scape btw!:) thinking of using more sand on my next scape.

Thanks mate, yeah the sand is new for me but I much prefer not having anything growing against the front glass :)

Hi, sorry for bringing this old topic alive again.
I was concidering buying one, but my tank is 30cm tall and maybe 10cm og substrate, will it still work or is it a no go :) ?

Back