• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New High Tech Setup - Sudden Algae Outbreak Part 2

New member alert!

I set up a new nano tank about a month or so ago, and I'm getting exactly the type of algae that the OP has illustrated in his photos: brown, fine, cotton-wool like growth on the wood and some plants. It can be removed fairly easily, but regrows incredibly quickly and seems concentrated in the middle of the tank. Definitely not BBA or anything like that.

s9gqik-jpg.1864.jpg

uogj17-jpg.1865.jpg

Let me give some details:

Tank - 40x25x25cm, 25 litres (but probably only about 18-20 litres of water).

Filter - Eheim 150 'classic' 2211 external canister, with water returned through a lily pipe.

Lighting - Beamswork 1200 lumen 6500K LED, plus Interpet 2x36cm 'bright white' LED (believed to be 800 lumen, and probably about 6500K). Photo period 10 hours. Difficult to compare wattages between LED and T5, but if we assume that T5 tubes are about 70 lumens per Watt, then I guess my lights are roughly equivalent to about 28 Watts of T5, so perhaps just over 4W per US gallon. Quite a lot, but I'm aiming for high light and I believe nano tanks need more light?

CO2 - Pressurised, from a Soda Stream cylinder. About 1 bubble per second at the moment, but will probably reduce it slightly when the fish are added. Drop checker is a yellowy-green at the moment, at the other end of the tank from the lily outlet. Solenoid comes on 2 hours before the lights, and goes off at the same time as the lights. There's quite a mist of CO2, and quite a lot of oxygen bubbles as well.

Water - A mixture of rainwater and tapwater, to give a GH about 7 degrees and KH about 4-5 degrees. Ammonia fluctuates between zero and about 0.5-1.0 because I'm dosing with a couple of drops of 35% ammonia solution daily to keep my filter fed - obviously this will cease when the fish are added. Nitrite unmeasurable. Nitrate about 20. pH about 6.0-6.5. Temperature 25. I'm currently doing big water changes of about 12 litres every few days to try and combat the algae, but it's not working!

Substrate - I've used a fine-grained 'soil' substrate as my only substrate. The product I used specifies that it can/should be used as the only substrate.

Plants - HC, Glosso, Crypt wendtii 'brown', Pogostemon erectus, Eliocharis acicularis and parvula, Anubias nana 'mini', couple of sprigs of hornwort from my pond. The HC and Glosso are doing well, bubbling nicely and needing regular trimming, but the crypt isn't doing much (although it also hasn't lost a single leaf). The hair grasses are only just starting to get going, and the poor Anubias is getting a bit enveloped by the algae. The pogo initially melted badly but has stabilised and is now sending down masses of roots from the nodes in the stems.

Fish - Currently none, but I have 8 Boraras brigittae, 8 blue cherry shrimp and 3 Otocinclus arriving on Friday. I'm aware that the otos will need feeding with algae wafers, courgette, spinach etc. Actually, I say 'none', but there are some snails, and I spotted a damselfly nymph (probably from the pond hornwort - maybe not my best idea).

Fertilisation - TNC Complete, after every big water change.

So, any ideas what the cause of my brown cotton-wool is? I've read elsewhere on UKAPS that ammonia is considered to be a major culprit; am I overdoing the ammonia drops, or should I continue until the fish are added? Should I increase my fert dosage? I've also read that certain types of brown algae may be typical in a new tank (due to silicates?) so will it simply go away eventually? Will the shrimps and/or otos eat it?

Any advice and/or reassurance gratefully received!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Welcome to the ukaps Dr Mike!

but I'm aiming for high light and I believe nano tanks need more light
Higher light is not necessary for a Nano tank set-up!.....Initially your algae problems are being enhanced by too much light!
Reduce your lighting to 5 hours per day! Use only the Beamswork lighting for now till you get the algae problem rectified.
Purchase some fast growing stem plants to help cycle the aquarium!
Purchase some floating plants....there is a For Sale Section...although you need to make 25 posts to get access!
Ditch the ammonia drops........your filter should be seeded by now after 4 to 6 weeks!
Remove as much algae as possible manually...a tooth brush or a washing up brush are helpful implements.
Do the largest water changes possible 80% - 90% this will help reduce organic waste.
Have a look at the below set-up with lower lighting from its conception.
http://ukaps.org/forum/threads/my-best-low-tech-scape-so-far.38709/
Cheers
hoggie

Thanks for replying!

As you say, my filter is definitely cycled because the ammonia disappears within six hours or so and I don't see any nitrite at all - but I was under the impression that I needed to keep some biological load on it (hence the ammonia) in order to prevent the bacteria simply dying back. Is that incorrect?

I did have just the Beamswork light for a few weeks, but it looked like the Glosso was 'stretching' a bit so I added the Interpet light over the front of the tank. Both the HC and the Glosso are now growing very pleasingly and the Glosso in particular is staying much flatter, so part of me is reluctant to reduce the intensity - perhaps I'll start by reducing the period and see how it goes.

At the moment I'm using one drop of ammonia twice a day, so I'll reduce that to once a day, unless you're sure that my filter will stay active without it in which case I might eliminate it altogether. It's certainly powerful stuff!

The fish are coming by mail order from Kesgrave Tropicals, who are based in Ipswich but sell through eBay and get good reviews. It's a very small disappointment that they won't be delivering until Friday because I'm keen to get them, especially if it means I can quit the ammonia, but hey - I'll just have to be patient!

Hi
If you are worried that your filter will be compromised by removing the ammonia drops...just add a pinch of fish food!
This will be a much safer way of keeping the filter bacteria healthy!
When acclimatising your new arrivals I would be very vigilant as you are adding highly oxygenated/aerated water inhabitants into a Co2 injected tank!
Cheers
hoggie

Hi Dr Mike, keep reading the forum post and you will soon discover the importance of C02 & light balance.
High light or perhaps more accurately put .. too much light to match the available C02... is the main cause of algae!
Get the flow & C02 in harmony & then match the light to avoid algae, you do not need high light to get a spectacular display of healthy plants!
Adding Ammonia!!!!!
You will also discover that using many of the readily available test kits is generally shunned upon in the planted tank.... I will let you find the post on that one!
A PH pen on the other hand is extremely handy to have around, test you PH before the gas comes on, when the lights come on & when the gas goes off. That information will be very important to you.( & us if you want help)
Please don't rush to get fish in the tank, as soon as you have live stock you run the risk of gassing them with excesses C02.
Without fish you can afford to experiment with Co2 levels, PH drop & lighting.

Hi all,
Tank sounds a good set-up, and the filamentous diatoms should start to disappear soon.

I'd definitely reduce the lighting period, and or intensity, I have all the tanks on a 12 hour light period, but where I have bright lights I use a lot of floating plants.
but I was under the impression that I needed to keep some biological load on it (hence the ammonia) in order to prevent the bacteria simply dying back. Is that incorrect?
I think that is probably the problem, pretty much all you read about "the cycle" and "cycling" in aquarium forums is at least partially incorrect.

Have a look at this thread and links <"Best way to cycle...">.

cheers Darrel

Right, I did another big water change today, but I'll refrain from adding ammonia today. I've added a dose of TNC Complete, and I also tried adding a few drops of barley straw extract. Who knows whether that will help?!

Slightly surprised that the NO3 is reading about 40 now, which is perhaps a touch high.

I've reprogrammed the lighting and CO2 timers to reduce the photo period down to 6 hours as well, still with CO2 coming on 2 hours before. And I've tweaked the CO2 up a fraction, although that might have to come down when my fish arrive. You're right: I'll have to watch the CO2 when the fish go in.

Hi there, I can't help with the algae problem (having one of my own!), but if you want to keep the filter cycled and ready for fish you will need to keep feeding it an ammonia source or the bacteria will die off and you may get ammonia/nitrite issues when you add the fish.

I'm about to order from Kesgrave too! Looking forward to hearing how you get on with your new stock. :)

I had the same problem a few weeks ago but now it is dying off and will be completely gone in a couple of weeks.

What I did was the following:
1. Increase light intensity to promote good/healthy plant growth. However, you might already have this so ignore.
2. Aeration during night time.
3. Addition of a few shrimp and a few Ottos. I first added 3 cherry shrimp. After one week I added a few more and now, two weeks later, I have 15 shrimp and 2 Ottos.

All of the above stopped the filamentous diatoms and now they are dying off. Of course some might say that these steps had nothing to do with it and the algae just did its life-cycle and now its dying off.

Thanks

I'm certainly crossing my fingers that the shrimps and/or otos will eat it - that would be very nice! Beginning to wonder whether I've ordered enough shrimps - 8 of them might be overwhelmed by the task.

My fish are arriving on Friday; meanwhile I'll do big water changes every other day, keep dosing with fertiliser, keep the CO2 up, and I'm only going to dose half a drop of ammonia per day. And the lighting/CO2 period is now reduced to 6 hours. Might buy a cheap toothbrush as well to see if I can remove any of it.

I'm pinning my hopes on in being a temporary "new tank" thing, or that the shrimp/otos will eat it, or that the cessation of ammonia dosing will end it.

Out of interest, has anyone ever tried using barley straw extract in an aquarium? It certainly worked in my pond, although it's by no means an overnight remedy.

Hi all,
and I'm only going to dose half a drop of ammonia per day.
but if you want to keep the filter cycled and ready for fish you will need to keep feeding it an ammonia source or the bacteria will die off and you may get ammonia/nitrite issues when you add the fish.
You can just stop adding the ammonia, you don't need it.

Fundamentally the factor limiting nitrification is the supply of oxygen. If you supply enough oxygen to the nitrifying organisms they can deal with a large amount of fixed nitrogen (bioload), this is why the metric for pollution is <"biochemical oxygen demand"> (BOD).

Additionally if you have plants they are:
  • Net contributors of dissolved oxygen.
  • Primary consumers of ammonia and nitrate.
  • and provide a much larger area for nitrification within the substrate.
The whole traditional "cycle" idea is based on a series of misunderstandings and half-truths, if you like it is a black and white concept in a "shades of grey" world. In the last ten years RNA/DNA analysis has discovered a large number of ammonia oxidising organisms that we didn't previously know about, many of them <"Ammonia Oxidising Archaea (AOA)">. Every-one should have access to: <"Aquarium Nitrification Revisited: Thaumarchaeota Are the Dominant Ammonia Oxidizers in Freshwater Aquarium Biofilters">, from the abstract:
For freshwater aquaria, the proportion of amoA genes from AOA relative to AOB was inversely correlated with ammonium concentration.
There is a lot of similar research from the waste water treatment.

Even if you look purely at ammonia oxidising bacteria (AOB), they are much more flexible than the traditional view. This is from the conclusion of
<"Strategies of aerobic ammonia-oxidizing bacteria for coping with nutrient and oxygen fluctuations">.
From this review it is clear that AOB possess several physiological traits that can be advantageous for their survival under conditions of variable substrate and oxygen supply. Moreover, AOB possess a number of enzymological and molecular mechanisms that allow them to maintain the state of their cells under starvation such that ammonia oxidation can start within minutes and at high rates after substrate or oxygen depletion. Furthermore, within the AOB groups, differences exist in adaptation to and competitiveness under conditions of high or low ammonia or oxygen concentrations
and if you look at the link earlier in the thread to <"Best way to cycle a second filter.."> it has a much fuller discussion of the whole cycling concept.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Well, every day's a school day! I assumed it was necessary to maintain biological load, but it seems the bacteria are much more resilient than I gave them credit for. That looks like a proper peer-reviewed paper, which makes it very high-quality evidence. I will quit the ammonia dosing forthwith.

Today the amount of new brown fluff seems slightly less, so perhaps the reduction in light, the reduction in ammonia (henceforth to be reduced to zero), the continued high CO2 rate and the continued large water changes are having an effect. Maybe the few drops of barley straw extract are doing something??

I have found that siphoning with a 12mm tube allows you to suck a lot of the brown fluff straight out, because it's so loosely attached. Siphoning about half an inch above the HC and Glosso pulls a lot of the fluff out. This won't be possible after Friday, though, when my fish and shrimps arrive - I don't want to siphon any shrimps out! I've also tried using a toothbrush, which kinda works, but for my still-establishing HC it's a bit too vigorous. I reckon I might try a small, soft paint brush instead. I'll clean it out well with white spirit first, though, obviously - I'm not daft! :p

Over the last three or four days I have seen small amounts of BGA (Cyanobacteria) on the HC. At the moment it's very limited and isn't threatening to spread very far, so I'm not going to panic. Strangely it only seems to be growing on the small amount of HC that's slightly shaded - perhaps the vigour of the rest of the HC (which is pearling strongly) is keeping the BGA at bay. Not sure what's causing it - from what I've read it can be caused by low nitrate (but NO3 is still measuring about 40), or poor circulation (but I can see CO2 mist swirling over the HC). Does it feed on Phosphate?

On Thursday, in preparation for the fish, I will have to reduce the CO2 which is currently at a very generous 1-bubble-per-second and giving a yellowy-green colour. Will need to be much more conservative.

Last edited:
Not sure I understand what you mean.

"One up for us" - do you consider this to be some kind of competition?

On the subject of ammonia, you said nothing useful in your earlier reply; you just said "adding ammonia" with lots of exclamation marks. By contrast, Darrel gave high-quality evidence that it isn't necessary to keep dosing ammonia to maintain a filter once it has cycled.

On the subject of test kits, it's no surprise that hobby kits are not as accurate as lab methods. But they're all we have. You can't tell the ammonia, nitrite or nitrate level merely by looking at a tank.

Last edited:
If the algae comes out easily with the syphon...carry on.
Livestock will move away.

Not sure I understand what you mean.

On the subject of ammonia, you said nothing useful in your earlier reply; you just said "adding ammonia" with lots of exclamation cycled.
I would not like you to consider me as sarcastic or condescending, I tried (& it seems failed) to make a light hearted response to your post, complete with silmly icon.
No, not a competitsion, although there are some competitive aspects relating to planted tanks, I am not competitive in anyway!
Re my first post, sorry you feel that way too as I thought it contained some good basic info especially regarding the PH pen.

Anyway good luck with you tank.

Hi all,
I think the problem with most <"ammonia & cycling" and "test kits"> threads (principally on other forums) is that people tend to have very entrenched positions, and they can rapidly degenerate into slanging matches.

I also think that experienced fish keepers, who keep bare tanks etc., often under-estimate just how skilled and observant they are, meaning that they do the important things without really thinking about them. I still need all the help I can get, and my suspicion is that the stabilisers will never come off my bike.

cheers Darrel

I think foxfish was just echoing the general consensus amongst most members of this community that fishless cycling with ammonia is unnecessary, and test kits are often too heavily relied upon. A well planted tank is an entirely different entity to a typical "fish" tank.
I also think that sometimes it's easy to misinterpret good intentions on internet forums in general, its so difficult to communicate effectively without being misunderstood at some stage

Back