• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New(ish) Cube

Vase

Hey,

I got this little cube for my birthday, last March :lol: and as yet haven't set it up. I'd like to set it up in coming weeks but figured I'd ask on here for some ideas and suggestions, regarding what to do with it.

http://www.animal-paradise.co.uk/catalo ... ucts_id=41

Its going to be planted obviously and house two or three small fish that are in my practically shut down four footer. Then I can get some others as it matures. I wont be using pressurised CO2 with this tank. I don't want it to be too high tech and I cant justify the expense for it at the moment. I'd be happy to use one of the nutrafin kits though and then make my own CO2 recipe.

Its 40 litres. And measures (approx) 13"x13"x15" high. It has an internal filter with it which, according to the box has a turnover of 200 litres and the light is 18w.

I need to get a heater so if anyone has any suggestions for that as well that would be ace. Ta muchly :D

I'm a big fan of those tanks since I first saw them. I use their (supafish's) lights and I'm very impressed. Even with 18w I'd be guessing you'd still be pretty high light, I grew blyxa and hc under 18 in a tank just an inch smaller, albeit slowly.

Cool. Were you using CO2 at all mate? If so, if you could let me know some details on that (and anything else) that would be ace :D

The set up was as follows.
11" cube, eden 501, hydor power diffuser, 18w pc, ada aquasoil, pressurized co2. Dosing Ei.
I did nothing special really, 2 50% water change a week and Ei dosing. Co2 was incredibly high, if you nudged the reg give it 10 mins and you'd have gaspers.

Thats a cool looking tank. A bit like the Arcs but with a better light. Do these run on standard bulbs (i.e. from lampspecs?)

AC

The units are sealed so you'd need to do a mod should they burn out but inside it's a standard PL tube. The light off them is very good anyway and I personally like it better than the t5's in my big tank.
You can get the lights off ebay for circa£20 but I've never seen the tanks except for in pet shops.

I've got the 25l version (Free from PFK :D ) and it was a great little tank. Except for the filter - the little internal was useless and needed replacing. I also had to add a heater. Get a little external filter if you can, one of these little Eheims would be great if you don't mind spending that much on it. Turnover's 440lph, almost exactly 10 times the volume.

Oh yeah, I used/use a 25watt heater. I'm planning on fixing my 2224 and using that and an external heater on it though. Anything in the 400-700lph bracket would be splendid.

It just hit me actually that the internal, at 200lph wasnt going to be up to the task. Never could get on with the Eheim classics (thanks for the link though!) so I had a look at the Eden 501. I like the idea of that with glassware but I heard that it needs to be the same level as the tank to work. Is that correct?

The only other issues I have are CO2 - After reading and thinking I'd like to try Easycarbo for that. Any comments? Substrate - Like the idea of using the ADA soils but I have no clue as to how much I'd need. Cant seem to find the info anywhere.

There was something else but I seem to have forgotten :? Sorry for all the questions.

I use just under 3l and it gives you plenty of substrate to work with.
Look into getting a hydor prime, for the same money as an eden you can get one and they're a superior filter.
Easy carbo dosing is easy, I'd use it to supliment diy yeast though. I found my hc didn't like just easy carbo.

I've found the Hydor for under £37 so thats looking good. I'd like some glass inflow and outflow pipes too so I can hide things a bit. Visitherm heaters have always served me well and their 50w model is only 6" long. Winner.

If you get the hydor you can get a external heater. 8)
Glassware I'd advise you get from one of our sponsors, I've had nothing but bad luck with foreign vendors.
Infact, Pm me, I might be able to help you.

I used DIY CO2 and EasyCarbo on my cube and it worked very well. I found the CO2 on it's own was too inconsistent and caused algae issues.

As to the substrate I imgaine a 3l bag of Aqusoil would be enough as long as you don't want a huge slope or very deep substrate.

Back