• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New layout for my 120cm tank

I've had discus for a few years now. I've had individual specimens that were slow to come to food, some were gulping nonstop from the surface, so it really depends on each fish and how they were raised. I never vacuumed up their uneaten food, I have cories for that. What I usually do is feed Tetrabit first while defrosting the frozen bloodworms. The small fish will go for those, some discus will go for those as well. 15-20 mins later, drop in the frozen bloodworms which sink to the bottom. Since the other small fish have been fed, they don't go for the bloodworms much.

I'm more concerned with open-topped tanks and discus. I've had 4 discus jump out of the tank when no one was around and die. I've had 2 that jumped while I was around and they were saved. Now I have 6mm acrylic panels covering most of the tank, except for a 10cm x 50cm space for my cooling fans. And one discus still managed to jump out and die last week :sick:

Your tank just keeps getting better and better! The stainless steel pipework looks so good. Do you know if the shops you buy from in Shenzhen have any online presense?

One vote for a school of Rainbowfish

25623022021_feda1a67a2_c.jpg

closer look

25546103595_9783ce656c_c.jpg

Do you know if the shops you buy from in Shenzhen have any online presense?
They don't have a website or anything remotely like that, I did buy those pipes online though, here we have a very much used website for this, you have to be able to read Chinese, but the stuff you can find is unlimited.
I did considered Torpedos and Rainbows before, but they are sure to jump out and this jumping was also a concern of mine regarding Discus... thanks all for helping to find the right fish, but for now I'm pretty happy with the open space and swim room for the fish that are in there.

Do you know if the shops you buy from in Shenzhen have any online presense?
They don't have a website or anything remotely like that, I did buy those pipes online though, here we have a very much used website for this, you have to be able to read Chinese, but the stuff you can find is unlimited.
I did considered Torpedos and Rainbows before, but they are sure to jump out and this jumping was also a concern of mine regarding Discus... thanks all for helping to find the right fish, but for now I'm pretty happy with the open space and swim room for the fish that are in there.

You mean Taobao?
Yep...that's the one, I also use google translate, but to know more in detail I have to ask my wife to translate or chat with the shop owner.
The steel in- and outlet came from the same shop as your link, they are pretty much OK, just not bend enough so they aren't as parallel as they should be, but for that price I am happy.

Shrimps also is a risk with discus is seems, said a discus keeper i lately talked to.. They seem to be specialy atracted to red color, red shrimp are chased and eaten for sure he says. That's another reason to take in consideration.. But indeed as you say, it would in contrast make your scape look way smaller.. I'm not sure if Discus sp. come in different size, i believe not and all grow up to +/- 20cm. That's way bigger than the size you shopped in if that's a 120 cm tank.. :)

Back