• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New member, my scape

Simes

Hi. Here is my first aquascape. Any recommendations on plant positioning welcome. The glass needs a bit of a clean and a general tidy up needed.

2itklrq.jpg

Nice shallow. My only recommendation is perhaps think about introducing more plants. The heavier you can plant from the outset the better, since it infers greater system stability, which in turn reduces the chances of algae, and increases your chances of success.

Sure ok. I’ll order some more. I was going to have some floating plants and mosses. Happy to receive recommendations on types of plants you think would suit this environment

Small thing, but the wire at the back could do with being hidden. Told you it was small!

Also, why is there a two tone thing going on in the background, is it the light?
Haha yes I noticed that and tidied it up . I think the two tone was caused by a shadow. I have more plants on the way to try and cover up a few eye sores. I’ve also put more water in and cleaned the glass. Going to put a few Pygmy corys in the tank in a few weeks

Haha yes I noticed that and tidied it up . I think the two tone was caused by a shadow. I have more plants on the way to try and cover up a few eye sores. I’ve also put more water in and cleaned the glass. Going to put a few Pygmy corys in the tank in a few weeks

Cool, will be interesting to see what plants you add. Pygmy Corys aren’t a show stopper, but they’re on my list for the simple reason they’re super cute and very active.

Hi all,
Sure ok. I’ll order some more. I was going to have some floating plants and mosses. Happy to receive recommendations on types of plants you think would suit this environment
Floating plants are always a good idea, and mosses are great plants for long term scapes.

Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum) is a good plant for start-ups. You don’t often see it for sale, because you have to grow it submerged (although it doesn’t need to be planted), and it doesn’t travel very well, but once you’ve got it growing it is great.

Cheers Darrel

They are nice little fish. If you haven't already, give some thought to introducing a clean up crew as well; otos and Amanos ;)
I’m a bit worried about over stocking. I’m currently waiting for the tank to be more established for the less hardy species. I currently have 5 zebra danios in my 80cm long shallow tank. 60 litres in total. What other fish do you reckon I could get away with? As suggested I’m adding another bunch of plants including floaters. Not switching my lights on until I feel there are enough plants in there to avoid algae

Last edited:
Most folk with planted tanks tend to under stock. It keeps organics relatively low which helps prevent algae. And because algae issues are usually foremost on our minds the clean up/algae crew is usually first on the list.

You need to switch your lights on, otherwise your plants will die and release organics and you will definitely get algae. Establish a regular photoperiod of around 5-6 hrs a day to start with, just be cautious regarding intensity. Every light is different but I usually set intensity to around 60%, maybe less over a low-energy tank, until the scape becomes biologically mature. A dimmer is a must, especially with a low-energy tank.

Most folk with planted tanks tend to under stock. It keeps organics relatively low which helps prevent algae. And because algae issues are usually foremost on our minds the clean up/algae crew is usually first on the list.

You need to switch your lights on, otherwise your plants will die and release organics and you will definitely get algae. Establish a regular photoperiod of around 5-6 hrs a day to start with, just be cautious regarding intensity. Every light is different but I usually set intensity to around 60%, maybe less over a low-energy tank, until the scape becomes biologically mature. A dimmer is a must, especially with a low-energy tank.
Righto. Lesson learned

Also, I’m liking the look of the otos, but I read that amanos tend to be fragile and die after water changes. Can you advise on this? If I have 8 zebra dorios, 5 Pygmy corys, 5 otos is that overstocked do you reckon?

Amanos are pretty much bullet proof...the internet can be a minefield of misinformation...do you have the ref or link for that info ?
I’m sorry I can’t remember where I read it. It was a few days ago now. Could have even been YouTube

Can you advise on this? If I have 8 zebra dorios, 5 Pygmy corys, 5 otos is that overstocked do you reckon?
That should be fine, so long as you maintain good tank husbandry etc...

Hi all,
Not switching my lights on until I feel there are enough plants in there to avoid algae
Do you have the lights on at all?

If you don’t? You need to have them on for a short photoperiod every day.

Plants can only photosynthesise when light intensity exceeds “<light compensation point”>. When they don’t get high enough energy light they just slowly decline.

Cheers Darrel

Thanks for the advice. I have a time so I shall put the lights on for six hours a day for now. I was thinking 3 hours in the morning (timed to help wake me up) and 3 in the evening? Is that ok or is a straight 6 hours better? Cheers

The siesta period is a bit of a contentious issue. In a low-energy tank it's perhaps better to leave the light on and ensure decent surface agitation and flow to maintain a decent atmospheric gas exchange. That way not only do you increase 02 saturation but also a constant CO2 conc., which maybe better for plant growth and algae inhibition...https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/maxing-co2-in-low-techs.29856/ However if a split photoperiod suits your lifestyle or viewing time then I don't think it'd hurt...

Back