• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

new member saying hi and a problem with crypts terning yello

gwa84

Seedling
hi all ive been loitering around the forums for a while after spotting this on pfk and a mention from fellow forum members on fkuk very nice forum tones of info and some lovely tank

first some info on my tank set up and routine

15 gallon 2 foot tank
25 watt t5 ho compact lighting plant grow tubes
eco complete substrait with api root tabs added bi monthly
yeast based co2 green on drop checker with 4dkh solution twin bottle one changed weekly very good steady output

Easylife Pro-fito added at 2 ml per day and easy life easy carbo added one mill per day as a boost to the co2 as i have quite a bit of sefice agitation

20 percent water change weekly
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 15 to 20 ppm and end of week befor water change

plants are

Amazon swords
2 Anubias Nana on bog wood
Cryptocoryne Wendtii carpet covering the front half of the tank
Lysimachia Nummularia Aurea or Creeping Jenny Yellow
Microsorium Pteropus Windelov on bog wood
Ludwigia Mullertii (L. Repens)

fish stock are
6 peperd corys
1 Bolivian ram
Malaysian trumpet snails to tern the subtrait over and 3 zebra nerite snail

theirs no algae been running a 8 months naw

right and the long over due problem lol my crypts are turning yellow and becoming thin leaved can anybody spot a problem with the set up or eny reason they would be doing this

thanks GWA84

Hi,
As the biomass increases, the demand for Nitrogen and Phosphorous increases. Yellowing is often a sign of poor nitrogen uptake. Try increasing the nitrate levels.

Cheers,

thanks ill give it a go but cant go to hi as the ram is nitrate sensitive and like to keep it below 20ppm eny advice on best ferts for this and dosing amounts for 15 gall

Hi,
Sorry, but I'm just not convinced of any of that. Firstly, I doubt you actually have 20ppm NO3 if you are using a standard test kit to measure the levels. If you do have 20ppm the plants likely would not be suffering an N deficiency. If this were the case then the yellowing would be due to some other deficiency such as possibly K or Fe - but you report that you are daily dosing Profito which is high in K and Traces. Since you are definitely dosing K + Traces and since you are definitely not dosing N and P the most logical conclusion is that your NO3 concentration data is faulty and that the levels are lower than you have been led to believe.

If the yellowing is due to a trace issue it can be resolved by adding more Profito, so you can test that by doubling the Profito dosing and observing for several weeks. If it is due to N deficiency you can use a product such as TPN+
This is a popular and reliable all in one product which contains Nitrogen and Phosphorous which the Profito lacks. This can be dosed per bottle instruction. You can also use the dry powders to add NO3 or PO4 individually. Dosing schemes can be found at EI DOSING USING DRY SALTS or a less extreme version at JamesC PMDD - Poor Man's Dosing Drops

Secondly, I have yet to find the upper limit of Ram sensitivity to inorganically dosed NO3. Here is an example of a Breeding Male Ram living in waters averaging at least 60ppm NO3, 9ppm PO4, KH 7 and GH 17 and TDS of 750 microsiemens. My conclusion therefore is that this so-called sensitivity to NO3 is overstated.
2815019010038170470S600x600Q85.jpg

Cheers,

no problems guys will do as advised and see if things improve ill order some TPN+ and start dosing as stated

just to make it clear to folks i know very little about ei dosing and have never relay read up on the principles so bear with me :lol: and could peeps for naw hold back on the abbreviations for ferts and such as ime not one for understanding them pretty dyslexic so abbreviation don't really stick (i love spell checker lol)

thanks for the help so far much apreciated

one more thing peeps in the article EI DOSING USING DRY SALTS what is the crinkled leaved carpet plant in the first picture looks excellent

The crinkly looking plant is pogostemon helferi, and I agree it does look excellent. I've got some in my tank which is doing great now but suffered badly when I wasn't adding enough nutrients. I'm dosing 3x more TPN+ than I was when I started and its made a huge difference.

I have P Helferi in my little 7gal shrimp tank and new shoots were comming through white. I've increased my TPN+ dosing and the newest shoots are comming through green again :)

P helferi (aka Downoi) never really sat well with me when I first saw it, but I've started to like it a lot, now I have some growing :)

Back