• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Simes

Hi. I have a new tank waiting to be filled and I'm new to the hobby. I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend a good centre for good quality plants and fish in the great yarmouth/Norwich area. I'm thinking of stocking the 60 litre tank with guppies and swordtails as well as a few shrimp. All the best
Si

Thank you for the info. It is good to know that fish are healthy ordered online. Now I need to decide what I want the aquascape to look like. This is my tank - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tartarium-...UTF8&qid=1546090223&sr=8-2&keywords=tartarium

I got it half this price somewhere else though

Also, could someone recommend some nice lighting for this size tank? I had a look on the aquatic website and there is a lot to choose from and I'm pretty unsure

Last edited:
Hi @Simes. Welcome. I'm a newbie myself so can't offer high level advice. However, I can second Tim's recommendation of @Aquarium Gardens. If you have the time/inclination, it's well worth a visit to them. I know it's a bit of a drive for you but I think it's a valuable investment and you can make a day of it. They're closed now until the 3rd January '19. I was in there last weekend and spent about 2hrs playing with hardscape materials, checking out their demo tanks and getting advice/asking (loads of) questions. Stephen was a great help. (NB: I'm useless with names so I hope I got his one right - apologies in advance if not!!).

For the fish, I would suggest trying some more to find a lfs that offers what you want to the right standard. If you can find one close to home, that would be first prize. I searched online (back in about 2006) and found only Pets at Home local to me so tried them and drove around others (mainly in garden centres) within 20 miles from home before, after about 2 years I found one within walking distance of home that had been there all along! I've used them ever since with no regrets. If you go through the forum https://www.ukaps.org/forum/forums/where-to-buy.4/ you may find other people more local to you with previous advice and it may still be relevant.

For the lighting, I am not an expert but have you decided what type of bulbs you want? T5's or LED? How much strength you need? and what you want the fitting to look like? Also budget. Once you have that info, you may want to post in the Lighting Forum: https://www.ukaps.org/forum/forums/lighting.50/ for more advice?

For your fist answer on this question, I ordered (not received yet, should hopefully be any day now) the Chihiros A801 Plus LED lightset, a.k.a Chihiros A801+. Once my setup is done/underway, I'll be more informed about this particular item. I can't be 100% sure if your tank is 79cm or 80cm (the Amazon link you supplied mentions both). Mine is exactly 80cm which is partly why I chose that particular light.

Enjoy and take your time getting answers before spending (big) money!! :)

Regards and all the best
Michael

Thank you for the detailed reply. My tank is 80cm. I took a punt and went for the same light as you. I would like driftwood and rocks. Now I need to decide what to plant and what substrate to use. A natural look would be nice. I’d like moss on the driftwood. No bright red substrate. Some floating plants would be nice too

Hi Simes,
You can safely order cherry shrimp online, proving that the weather is not too frosty. I got mine from an online auction site in November. Good lighting is the single best investment you can make - the Chihiros Micheal has looks fantastic. At my lfs they will try to order-in whatever I'm after. When I was there last, trying to source a strain of threadfin rainbow fish, the owner was able to phone is trader in the far east to determine where and when they could be sourced. Then he got back with some photographs, and we talked the idea through.

Thanks for the info guys. I’m looking forward to putting things together. I will be keeping it in my bedroom so I could do with a very quiet filter. I don’t mind the sound of trickling water but not too keen on loud humming. Is external filtering best?

Without question external filtering is best. I find more humming if the glass inside the aquarium is vibrating when attached to an internal filter. You cannot notice the sound of good external filters in a bedroom.

Last edited:
Perhaps gear your equipment around the plants you wish to grow. Do you know what species take your fancy? Some very experienced moss growers are on this forum - so I hope they can point you in the right direction.

Hi. I was thinking java moss. I'm not too Clued up on plants at the moment. I've been looking at YouTube videos to get an idea. Maybe Amazon sword in one of the back corners but it might be a bit big for my tank height. I know I'd like a little carpet grass area and some floating plants with roots extending downwards

I have the same tank as this guy in the video-

Last edited:
I’m really not sure. I’m a pure beginner so I am unsure if the plants/setup I eventually go for will need CO2. I’m happy to receive recommendations. I’m currently working my way through the ‘sunken gardens ‘ book I recently bought. Do high tech setups cost a fortune on electricity?

It's always best to try and cut your teeth the low-energy way first. Many folk enter the hobby with great enthusiasm but try to run before they can walk and run headlong in to difficulties, mainly algal infestations. Algae is probably the number one reason why beginners leave the hobby.
Try to keep it stupidly simple, you'll have a greater chance of success. Take a look at the Tutorial section it has all the info you need to give you the best possible start, in particular perhaps have a read of this https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/the-soil-substrate-or-dirted-planted-tank-a-how-to-guide.18943/
It's principally a tutorial for beginners, it's based on using soli but you can use any substrate you like, the principles are the same regardless. I recommend this substrate https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/tropica-aquarium-soil-3l-1029-p.asp

Ok sure I will give it a read. I am happy to start small. Hardy plants and fish. Start with guppies I think.

Last edited:
Hi Simes,
I would second Tim's recommendation for substrate - I have been using it too. I would recommend only adding it only where you want the plants, underneath the gravel. I loved the video too because I think natural gravel is really attractive. The pothos plant is a really interesting choice. Rachael O'Leary (YouTube) found that this plant tended to cause her moss to disappear, but I would still give it a go.
One big tip when it comes to buying floating plants is to check that they are not grown with duckweed. I have found that it is very difficult to separate the two, unless you want duckweed. There are however in-vitro plants available.
The cost in terms of energy if you used between 100 and 150 watts, and had your bulbs on for 8 hours a day, would be between £36 and £54 per year (current UK average energy tariff).
Give me a shout if you change you mind and want to add carbon dioxide, but you certainly don't need to worry and without it you will be able to achieve the look you are going for.
Please add some pictures or start a journal so that we can share in your experience.

great yarmouth/Norwich area
You may want to check out Scaped Nature a new aquascaping shop in Norwich that is opening soon
- George Farmer has been assisting with the setup and helped aquascape the display tanks

Scaped Nature
https://m.facebook.com/ScapedNature/

From George Farmer’s Youtube channel

4 NEW Aquascapes in a BRAND NEW Aquascaping Store

Beautiful New Aquascaping Store

First visit to Ray’s home to see his personal tanks
3 AWESOME NANO AQUASCAPES - 2 with NO CO2 injection

(There are a couple more videos of Ray’s home tanks)

Back