• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Moss's

dave_m13

Seedling
Hi All

I have just recently purchased some different types of moss and was wondering whether anyone has any experiences with them. I only have their scietific names.

Fontinalis hypnoides
Riccardia chamedryfolia could be Riccardia graeffei
Blepharostoma trichophyllum
Monosolenium Tenerum

Any assistance apreciated.

Also where do people buy mesh from?

Thanks
Dave

dave_m13 said:
Also where do people buy mesh from?

Mesh - The local garden centre. £1 to £2 a metre.
Suciton cups to hold it up - ebay. £3 for 50.

Or you can buy mesh kits off ebay with both together.

Good luck with the new mosses. It's nice to see the range increasing :)

Thanks

I am lucky enough to work in belgium, well lucky to have access to quite a few nice plants from the Dennerle range, maybe not work.

The moss's are already attached to small mesh at the moment but have really big clump of java moss just sitting on one of my tanks, may try and build a wall with it.

dave_m13 said:
Fontinalis hypnoides
Fontinalis hypnoides could be Riccardia graeffei
Monosolenium Tenerum

Fontinalis hypnoides is Willow Moss, I have this in my tank and it grows slow, just got this of a member as I wanted to try it out, its not the best looking moss, might look good attached to branches.

Riccardia graeffei is Mini Pellia, I haven't tried the mini version.

Blepharostoma trichophyllum is Liverwort, never tried this one in my tanks.

Monosolenium Tenerum is normal Pellia, this is what I have in my tank, grows slow but looks great :)

LondonDragon said:
dave_m13 said:
Fontinalis hypnoides
Fontinalis hypnoides could be Riccardia graeffei
Monosolenium Tenerum

Fontinalis hypnoides is Willow Moss, I have this in my tank and it grows slow, just got this of a member as I wanted to try it out, its not the best looking moss, might look good attached to branches.

Riccardia graeffei is Mini Pellia, I haven't tried the mini version.

Blepharostoma trichophyllum is Liverwort, never tried this one in my tanks.

Monosolenium Tenerum is normal Pellia, this is what I have in my tank, grows slow but looks great :)

Thats a really nice tank you have, great setup, which one is Monosolenium Tenerum, the one I have it looks kind of seaweed looking, maybe its not Monosolenium Tenerum.

I have to start growing them first, there is not all that much attached to mesh, when I do will try and do something with them.

Thanks for the Info, will go search for further information with those name.

LondonDragon said:

Fontinalis antipyretica is willow moss... not sure what hypnoides is, unless its just another form :?

LondonDragon said:
a1Matt said:
:oops: I actually have this in my tank. I just didn't know that was the name for it!
yep I am sure you sent me some :p

No, it was Taiwan I sent you! :lol: (I did say I would send you Willow, which was a typo, I meant to say weeping, which you had already. So I sent you Taiwan instead. Then I went and bought some Willow! I didn't send you Moss or flame as you had them already! Thats not confusing at all is it! :? :? :D )

Dave - if you want to swap mosses just PM me, as you can see I have a few to choose from! :D

a1Matt said:
No, it was Taiwan I sent you! :lol: (I did say I would send you Willow, which was a typo, I meant to say weeping, which you had already. So I sent you Taiwan instead. Then I went and bought some Willow! I didn't send you Moss or flame as you had them already! Thats not confusing at all is it! :? :? :D )
Oh right lol can't remember, I sent so many out and got some on exchange thats all :lol: :lol:

a1Matt said:
Dave - if you want to swap mosses just PM me, as you can see I have a few to choose from! :D

Thanks, let me grow them some more, when I have plenty and they have grown, I am pretty sure I will want to swap some different moss's, I really like Fissidens fontanus though.

dave_m13 said:
a1Matt said:

Thanks, let me grow them some more, when I have plenty and they have grown, I am pretty sure I will want to swap some different moss's, I really like Fissidens fontanus though.

Cool. I hope to hear from you sometime :)

Fissidens fontanus is a lovely moss. Easily obtainable via ebay, or if you post in the wanted\sale\swap section you might be able to get it from a member on here. I had some for a while, but my SAE's ate it all. I will be rehoming the SAE's in the next few weeks , and will then get more Fontanus once i have done so.

I can't believe how many new mosses Tropica has now!!
Just checked out the stuff on AE. Wish I knew before setting up my 4FT. :mad:

Back