New Optiwhite 2012 build

Discussion in 'Journals' started by rolexbene, 21 Jan 2013.

1. rolexbene

rolexbene Member

Not doing a journal so much, but just thought i would share a little video I made for fun the other day of my new Optiwhite tank about 2 weeks in. Tank was a bit of a bargain at £40 New off Ebay, and was bought to replace my £10 60l tank that I acquired from the local recycling center. The optiwhite has 6mm glass, so non of that scary bowing I was having with my last tank :lol: I must admit I made the tank in a bit of a rush as I started the swap from tank A to B late at night on a bit of a whim, think the tank must of taken about an hour to be moved and rebuilt. I burried a load of Aquasoil under sand in the aim that they would stay separate for a while, but a few weeks in and it is being a bit of a nightmare, oh well... Wanted that sweet clean George Farmer look but not as easy as it looks. Also my mini landscape rocks seem to have turned rather green, which is not so nice to look at, have tried to clean with a toothbrush but doesn't seem to come off, any tips?

WetElbow, LondonDragon and Gill like this.
  2. rolexbene

rolexbene Member

Unfortunately my budget optiwhite split at the seem, flooding my living room. Guess the guy that made it was not so skilled, but still for the price I can't complain. Unfortunately this means I had to abandon this aquascape, not to bothered though as I wasn't so keen on it any way, and it now leaves room for a new and greater creation. Will be posting some updates here soon on the new scape, once I have repaired the damage.

3. jack-rythm

jack-rythm Member

Once you let that rock go green is impossible to come off.. I stuck a bit in the dishwasher 4 times in a row and then scrubbed and scrubbed and nothing. I got the top layer off but the stone was stained for ever. From that point I made sure to clean my Rocks weekly ! Nightmare otherwise mate

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

4. rolexbene

rolexbene Member

Just bleach them mate with a diluted bleach solution, used to do it with my dead coral and worked a treat. Just make sure you get all the bleach off before you put them back in the tank. Mind you coral is insanely porous so rock would be a lot easier.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

5. Danny

Danny Member

Not that there is much sun now but stick the rocks out in the sun and it will bleach it, I used to do it with my ocean rock when I had Malawi's and it would bring it up like new. I had two sets of rock so would swap them over every now and again when the one being used got too green lol

6. jack-rythm

jack-rythm Member

Cheers mate :) as of yet i dont have this issue, but sure it will occur at some point of my life!

7. jack-rythm

jack-rythm Member

what did you use to film this?