• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New pc frustration

Garuf

I've recently just jumped in and built a new pc, the only problem is it isn't anywhere near as stable as my old (5 year old) pc despite being newer.
Everything seems chopped back and doesn't look right and I'm getting errors left right and centre? What's going on?! I can't even get the thing to connect to microsofts own servers!

Fool me.
It's xp, service pack 3 apparently it's "home delux" though I've never heard of such an edition.
I'll post up tech specs If I can remember where they are, according to the box it's dual core and dual cpu though I doubt it.

The main problems are, nothing is installing properly, and internet connections keep messing up.
Itunes for example opens then crashes instantly, messenger works but says I'm offline when I'm not.
All of the appearance settings are wrong too, heavy borders and crude tool bars and incorrect fonts despite it being on defaulted settings.

Garuf said:
All of the appearance settings are wrong too, heavy borders and crude tool bars and incorrect fonts despite it being on defaulted settings.

its not starting in safe mode is it? or right click....display settings.

My grandad and I built it. Mostly from spare parts.

Garuf said:
My grandad and I built it. Mostly from spare parts.

Hmm... I don't know anything about computers from a hardware point of view but maybe it's somethin to do with that? Are you sure all of the parts are there/connected properly/working? It might also be that XP isn't installed properly or something.

Everything's fine and the drivers are correct. I really don't know where to start It's almost as thought it's not a real copy of xp despite paying to have the hard drive preloaded with it. :rolleyes:

I think my parents' laptop has that version - you know on the original XP the start menu background was white, is yours blue? It works fine for them if you've got the same version.

It's white, it says it's a 2003 build of xp.

Garuf said:
Everything's fine and the drivers are correct. I really don't know where to start It's almost as thought it's not a real copy of xp despite paying to have the hard drive preloaded with it. :rolleyes:

hard drive preloaded - How ?

Do you mean it was installed on someone elses pc and you just tranfered the hard dfrive over ?

Not sure, it said xp preloaded and had a microsoft sticker so gave the extra money for it.

Ok. Then when you first switched it on what happened ?
Did it boot straight up into windows xp or did it go through a 45min installation phase ?

Right thats your problem then.
You cannot transfer copies of windows from 1 pc to another unless every singal component is the same.
Motherboard, processor, graphics card, sound card etc.
All of the seperate components have different drivers one motherboard is not the same as another one chip is not te same as another could be intel, AMD, dual core, quad core etc. All these differances are detected on install of a fresh copy of windows.

To fix the problems you have you need to install a fresh copy of windows from scratch.

I don't have one... Do you think pc world will lend me one?

Back