• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New pheonix 60x30x30 scape.

Haha, yeah the hairgrass arrived okay, I terrified the courier, answered the door in my pants to him, poor lad didn't know where to look.

I did soak the wood, but it dried out while the tank was sitting about waiting for me to plant it. :rolleyes:

I was going to do a 7 days on post but I can't find my camera, the tanks chugging along fine, the crypts are all half way throught melting and the didiplis diandra is growing rampantly as is the limnipholia I chucked in there to help soak up anything bad.
The only thing that's giving me issues is that the hc and downoi have started to melt, the downoi went pretty quickly despite having good co2 and dosing easy carbo. The hc is only small bits here and there, but still it's enough to trouble me. I've had melt issues with downoi before but I never got to the bottom of them, they just seem to go mushy during initial set up... maybe it doesn't like "raw" aquasoil?
All this every day water changing is going to see me looking like arnie by the time the 3 weeks is up! :lol:

looks ace mate, its just given me some ideas on what to do on a 125 litre, i was thinking about doing an iwagumi, but this looks brill.

Thanks, Dan, Aarron, Ad.
I've changed over my diffuser and I'm now running the much larger Rhinnox 1000, it produces a much finer mist and seems to be much higher quality that the nano diffuser I was using before.

I'd like to be able to get the stones out that are keeping the wood in place as it blocks most of the flow which is really annoying.

Still, the melting HC and pogostemma is a total mystery.

Also worth of note, I hate bouyant wood! knocked the rock off doing the water change of the day and it won't go back to how it was! RARGGHHHH. I'll be so glad to see it waterlogged so it'll all stay in place! :twisted:

Thank you, George, the rocks ontop of the wood are there for the soul reason of keeping the wood in place while it becomes water logged, They're actually a massive liability as they spread the circulation out all wrong.
Thanks again.

are the rocks mini landscape rocks??
and when setting up the tank is it best to have the tank already cycled. shall i do fishless cycle first? coz i am concerned about the ammonia from ada aquasoil, ammonia causes algae doesnt it?

They are indeed mini landscape rocks, I really like them I did get some pretty bum ones in the mix though.
With aquasoil you don't need to do a fishless cycle as the leaching ammonia does this for you. The best tips I can offer you are plant heavy add floating fast growers or stems, dose from day one, get your co2 good and stable and do 50% water changes every day for the first two or 3 weeks, I'm doing 3 weeks but then I'm a glutton for punishment.
Hope this helps.

ok, thanks for the tips mate, just got some ace driftwood from aaron.. the tank is the downfall though.. it has to be an 80cmx50cm(high)x35cm so to fit on the fluval roma 125 stand, only i have had quotes of about £150 for the glass tank alone.. i was hoping to get it cheaper, any thoughts? the chapest quote at 145 was from nd aquatics, inc delivery.. i have tried aquariums ltd and that was through the roof.. what shall i do?

AdAndrews said:
ok, thanks for the tips mate, just got some ace driftwood from aaron.. the tank is the downfall though.. it has to be an 80cmx50cm(high)x35cm so to fit on the fluval roma 125 stand, only i have had quotes of about £150 for the glass tank alone.. i was hoping to get it cheaper, any thoughts? the chapest quote at 145 was from nd aquatics, inc delivery.. i have tried aquariums ltd and that was through the roof.. what shall i do?

i think my clearseal is a great tank. no brace and clear silicone :D mine cost me £97

Garuf said:
Thank you, George, the rocks ontop of the wood are there for the soul reason of keeping the wood in place while it becomes water logged, They're actually a massive liability as they spread the circulation out all wrong.
Thanks again.
Whoops, my bad!

My Rhinox 1000 is a great diffuser too. Best I've ever used.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing you at Dan's BBQ soon, hopefully.

nah, id rather pay the £150 if its not going to fit the cabinet right.. i spose thats what i will have to do

thanks for the help anyways aaron

keep up the good work garuf!

£150 isn't actually that expensive for an aquarium, especially considering it will be rimless, braceless, good quality, the exact size you want and delivered to your door. Keep an eye out on eBay too because there's always some deals to be had on there and you might just get the size you want.

AdAndrews said:
do they do it in 80cmx50cmx35cm? i thought yours has a brace, the black at the top. no?
Have a word with your local MA branch. They may be able to get their supplier, Seashell, to make one for you at a good price.

I had a 60x30x30 braceless, 6mm glass, rimless for £25.

If it's 50cm tall then it'll likely be 10mm glass so a fair bit more expensive.

I'll endeavor to reply to all comments when I'm sober, but! My tank is a clearseal tank, I removed the brace myself, if you really want optiwhite, pm londondragon (paulo) and ask him to tell you the name of the portugees guys who make them. They're supposedly as good as ADA at a fraction of the cost.

Back