• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New planted tank - cycling and shrimp question!

GingerNinja

Seedling
Hi everyone,

I've just planted up my 140l tank. I'm using a fluval 307 filter which was on the previous tank and have kept the media 'dirty'. Roughly how long should I wait before I add fish?

I was going to do 50% water changes every other day for a couple of weeks then go to once a week.

Could I add my cherry shrimp and a few snails early to speed things along?

Thanks in advance!

PXL_20210420_153909508.jpg

Shrimps generally are a lot more sensitive than fish so I personally wouldn't add them first. As for the fish, for me, it would be 4 weeks minimum but I am sure others would disagree.

I'm using a fluval 307 filter which was on the previous tank and have kept the media 'dirty'.
Not sure what kept "dirty"means; if the filter was taken straight off your old tank, as in went from a cycled tank and straight on to the new tank? Then the filter would still have been cycled and should be able to manage a similar bio load.

If the media went for any period of time without a food and oxygen source then I'd probably follow the advice above from Nick.

Back