• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New pond

Ian61

Nearing completion. Low tech so going for a heavily planted option as I didn’t want all the filtration paraphernalia spoiling the patio area. If anyone has a surplus of pond plants, especially oxygenators, please
let me know . Happy to buy or make donation.
Regards all, Ian
082F5182-F1FB-496A-801D-9FC71ED89D87.jpeg
091D8311-6523-4CB9-87DC-CEE2F0B3343C.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks nice, what did you "paint" it with?
How are you going to get the cable in for the pump that will power the water chute? (Presuming the spigot protruding from the wall is connected to the back of the water chute?)

Horsetail will be cut off and flexible pipe from submersed pump will supply flow to waterblade. Cable will come over wall nearest camera, in a small gap between back wall and coping stone(yet to be delivered). DIY fibreglass which was a first for me. Confident it’s 100% watertight but probably no awards for a supersmooth finish.

@Ian61 Thank you. You will take more pictures?
May I suggest you put a short piece of hose under a coping stone for the pump cable to run through. That way you can change it when the need arises, don't use rigid pipe as it may damage the cable, and if you really want to be ambitious, put in 2 pipes, one for the pump cable, another for "spare" or lighting at a future date.

Hi Martin. Unfortunately the pump I have is a Superfish remote control so the cable that runs from the pump to the receiver already has a plug on it which means I can’t thread it through a hose/conduit and I can’t see any alternative to laying the cable in a channel on top of the wall. Don’t think this will be too obtrusive though if it’s up against the back wall.
I’ll provide more pics in due course.

regards Ian

Now all finished bar the obvious. Coping stone provider struggling with numbers bigger than 4 for the longer wall🤬. 8 weeks from start, helped by rather atypical dry Lake District weather.
Tiles sealed with P2 which is reportedly fish friendly. Perhaps a little glossier than I’d have liked but it won’t always be brilliant sunshine.
As I wasn’t keen on filling the pond with lots of blockwork shelving went for some B and Q guttering. 🤞it’ll hold up.
Now just need to get the oxygenators in(hornwort,starwort,egeria) , and the lily baskets, and sit back and wait for the pea soup with blanket weed phase.
D9808F7E-7A53-44C4-A05F-07F42CB9A61F.jpeg
932D56E1-5D98-4511-938E-8F2DD0493C29.jpeg
421D6EEF-FE7C-4824-9C70-EF4C0FFE2335.jpeg
0F1E0466-43FC-4B00-AB87-E459AC53D5FC.jpeg

On initial inspection I felt the slate tiles were a bit too coloured and varied to look natural. Since then I’ve turned into a bit of an amateur geologist during my wanderings on the fells. So much so that I’ve even collected several bits of slate from different fell tops. If any of you are really bored you could try and spot the piece of slate,
42AD31A2-ABD4-4060-A5BD-CDF25DFA32B8.jpeg
pictured on Skiddaw’s trig column, now incorporated into the pond walling.
6A2B7683-F94D-44E8-B1C4-BE4F2A9B570D.jpeg

Hi all,

Two slates down from Marcel's suggestion?

Cheers Darrel

I thought that too but also that one is too obvious... But the used one is already in the first top picture... On top of the.... :) What is it? Pilar?

Darrel! That’s the first time in the history of UKAPS you’ve given an incorrect answer. Zolo was spot on . Interestingly (probably not) the slate you mention is from the summit of Carlside(Skiddaw’s near neighbour) 🥱🥱
851DD523-6B00-43D4-A808-3BD90041995F.jpeg

Hi all,
Darrel! That’s the first time in the history of UKAPS you’ve given an incorrect answer.
I wish.
Zolo was spot on . Interestingly (probably not) the slate you mention is from the summit of Carlside(Skiddaw’s near neighbour) 🥱🥱View attachment 205794
I've actually walked up there ( in 2021) and then down to the Osprey viewing platform and back to Bassenthwaite parking.

Cheers Darrel

Pond settling nicely into the green water stage. All seems healthy with the lilies impressive with a first flower this morning. Love the colour variation in the leaves particularly the N. albida(white flower,with leaves all shades between green and near scarlet).
One issue will be what to do with a shoal of about 30-40 of what I suspect are roach. A salutary lesson as I admit to grabbing a handful of New Zealand Pygmy weed from the shores of Derwent water. This invasive species has become a bit of an issue in the lake, and has been exposed by the recent dry spell. Clearly the resident fish had spawned in it recently.
Doubt my pond can cope with full grown roach!
The white clouds have been breeding and the occasional baby can be seen.
I also have some baby rice fish indoors having purchased some eggs on eBay. Bit disappointed with a hatch of 8fry from 21 eggs.
FC4FDE28-9E23-4027-8E1C-CFEEBAB3308A.jpeg
ECFCD683-F4BC-4033-81F2-8A24783847C5.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Back