• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Rio 180

chefski

Ok so I’m pretty new to planted aquariums but have kept marines on and off for the last 15 years.

I decided I wanted to try a planted tank as when I was a child my dad always had freshwater tanks and not really any great choice of plants, so when I saw some of the aquascapes and after have a full reef tank I wanted to give it a try.

I have a Rio 180l and have an external filter along with the internal juwel filter. At present my stock is

1 Angelfish
1 Rainbow Shark (I know not recommended for my size tank or some of the tank mates)
1 Bristlenose plec
2 platies
9 White Cloud Mountain Minnows
5 Neon Tetra
1 Female fighter.

Tank finished cycling 2-3 months ago. Hope I haven’t stocked too quickly but all water Params are as they should be.
Let me know what you think to my scape I’m going for an overgrown type of look with plenty of hiding places.

Not the best photo as taken in a hurry and from my seat

0742D866-D88C-4BDD-8B35-0F24065E6A8B.jpeg

Im hoping that the carpet will grow out and leave me with jungle / overgrown scape. Ive already propagated several times and re planted, everything seems to be grwoing so quicky, Whats the odds of adding any shrimp with th Angelfish (Im thinking maybe not a good idea but thought id ask on here)

Longterm I expect several of your fish will become avid shrimp hunters - even if you never see them so engaged

Angel
Rainbow “shark” (I always wish an alternate common name had been selected for these streamlined fish, many people buy them for the Shark nomenclature and never research their aquarium needs)
Betta

Most fish will attempt to eat everything (at least once), so even the white clouds and neons and platies will have a go at baby shrimp, and larger shrimp ... they just won’t hunt them as determinedly

A dense carpet (baby shrimp will stay in the lowers layer) or hardscape areas that are inaccessible to fish will help shrimp survive and breed

Thankyou both, its my first tank back, i will be going larger at some stage soon, it will probably be around the 400l mark. Just got to ease the other half back into it :)

may just look at a separate tank for shrimp :)
Thanks

Back