• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New scape in the works.

Maybe Thomas was refering to how popular they are. Iwagumi's are very popular and I guess you see a lot of them (or attempts). Personally I love them :) If they are done right of course.

Hope my comments earlier didn't put you off Garuf :) What you have planned will look ace if you do go for it!

No, no. Not at all.
I'm foolhardy. I really like the Idea of an Iwagumi but I like wood more so that's what I want to produce, that and £70 worth of anubias bolbitis and ferns already in my possession it seems foolish not to use them...

I scoured AE earlier today looking for redmoor and they have nothing in stock that I like the looks of I'd really like some of that old black wood stuff.

This being original lark really is very difficult, I might just get some neon gravel and a seizure inducing castle and call it a day.:lol:

This being original lark really is very difficult, I might just get some neon gravel and a seizure inducing castle and call it a day. :lol:

already taken ;)

I love the example you have given, dont know whether you were going to or not but you could attach some emerged moss on the wood to make it slightly more original? Or is this scape more or less out the window?

I'll still be going ahead, the scape will just go through a refinement process then end up looking nothing like it stared as because I couldn't find any nice wood. :twisted:
I've tried emmersed moss before, it never really worked for me. I don't know if that's just because I was unlucky though...

Yeah, TGM have some individual redmoor, try them.

It's not thamoret I have anything agains Iwagumi's... I just think they've been done. It's not original anymore, plus they are hard to get right, as has been said. I don't like rocks as much as wood like you said Garuf, and I just think the scape you had in mind is nice.

Go with what you want though obviously :D I'm sure whatever you do will look great

I'm loving the ADA Iron wood! I think I'll be using that, I might have to take out a loan though boy is it expencive!
I've been looking and I might actually do an Iwagumi, I like the idea of a challenge.

Nothing against ADA or the people that are selling their wood, but I have found you can get the same great results with the branchy, thick, dark wood that is in almost every Maidenhead Aquatics lately. I'm using it and Mark has some great big lumps he's going to be using in his 120cm. Check it out mate.

I'd use it but I can't get any, there's no maidenheads in Stoke or Leeds.
Does anyone know if unipac will sell direct? Might be worth giving them a call?

Okay, so this project is still on, Ada day I'll be collecting plants and aqua soil.
So, inspire me. I really don't know what to do.
If all else fails I'm going to fall back on this scape, so can people help with plant choice? I'm going to be trying to go lower maint. I'd like to try Ultricia gramnifolia again but I'm scared since I got my fingers burnt with it in my cube.
So yeah, I have loads of ferns to use so I'm thinking something that will give me maximum soil use with the ferns on some wood.
The needle leaved fern is actually huge, I've got 2 fist sized balls of rhizome, about 200 leaves on each bunch. I might sell them on to help raise some funds.

I like UG, so that's a good idea. What ya mean you got your fingers burnt last time? :wideyed:

I'm a big fan of low-maint too. Let us know how it goes!

PS - I'd be interested in the ferns if you decide to sell up :)

I got some for my nano from AE, it arrived looking ropey and then melted up something rotten, despite being in a 5gal tank with aquasoil and 4bps of co2.

Hi mate, it's been said the UG doesn't like a nutritious substrate. I got 4 pots from TGM, i put one pot in my Dennerele nano where it's in inert gravel and it's doing great. I also have some still in pots in my other tanks and it's still doing great. I intend to plant it in my 80cm where i'll add some to the aquasoil and some to the Zambizi pathway and see how it goes, i'll do it this week and let you know how i get on.

Garuf,

ever given lillaeopsis brasiliensis a thought, it really is a very pretty plant and shows red in its tips when established.

The UG can be tricky but if they are at all ropey to start then it will be very difficult , if not impossible to get them successfully established.

See you on 12th,

Jim and Mark.

Hello guys, no I hadn't considered LB would you use it as an accent plant (like downoi) or as a carpet? I'm thinking I'd use it in the Downoi sense myself...
I suppose I could fall back on the hc meadow thing but it's been done so many times and I thought I'd give something different ago.
I could do hairgrass too, so many choices. I'm thinking wall of stems these days but I'm easily swayed.
Any input is welcomed.
I can't wait for the 12th, get me some wood :D.

It's just occurred to me, I'm not going to be able to set up a tank till after christmas as I'll be home for 2 weeks. Anyone know what the best plan would be?
I could set up the tank as a new set up but I'd only be around for a week to do water changes before going home for 2 weeks.
Alternatively I could leave the plants in the old tank but not set up but I'm scared of algae taking hold on them while I'm gone.
Anyone got any helpful hints?

Back