• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

new scape :)

mr. luke

Hee is my new scape :)
low tech with carbon dosing
DSCF3183.jpg

im after some criticism on how to improve upon it :)
i havnt removed the equipment or leveled the substrate as it is stil in the making stages :p
i have a heap of cabomba to spare but im unsure if it will work or not :/

Nice!You could add the cabomba,but tbh,I think it looks great with the plants you have,cabomba would fill it quickly,that's ok if that's what you want,but you have a really nice shape there.I personally really like these 'islands' with lots of sand showing,it looks really clean and crisp.
One thing I would say,is that a lily at the front?It's gonna get big,I'd put it at the back,and more water!!

more water it is :p
more water it is then :p
i have varoius bulbs in there too for height :) so it should be looking better once they bulk out :D

im hoping to buy a few pieces of redmoor soon so one can be used in here :)
the hardscape is just one piece of 10 year old mopani wood :p

These 3 bits of wood later
DSCF3203.jpg

and

we have

DSCF3221.jpg

although tthis plant has gone a bit wierd?
DSCF3224.jpg

any ideas? its basically died, i started dosing flourinaxis recently so maybe this is the cause?

thats good to hear :)
im thinking of adding dwarf hairgrass at some point soonish, so stil an island scape, just a differnt anel on the typical one :)
im hoping to add some bolbitis when i can scratch some money up too

hey, that looks good mate, althpugh the neons are very common, i think they are nice in your tank.

it looks to me as if theres no depth to your substrate luke. that might be a reason why one of your plants has suffered. i want at least 2/3 inches for the roots to take hold. hc and glosso not so much.

for me, it's a shame (but not the end of the world) that the tank had so much height as i like the first scape.you've got the island in the "golden section" "rule of thirds".....

the extra wood has added to the feel of the scape, but the initial minimalistic feel seemed to work for me but ultimately neither are wrong. ;) address the substrate depth and add some tropica root tabs too.

quick tip...when starting your filter after maintenance, let the first few seconds spew in to another container which will stop crap entering your tank ;)

good work none the less.

mark

I like the idea of the filter gunge :)
the sand is about 4'' at the back and 1cm at the front. ill hack the leaves off, and increase the depth of that particular area :)
thanks for the kind words :D

new plan :)
take it apart, replace the blyxa? with some more from my shrimp tank and let them take care of the dying ones, the best plant nourishers around :D
and add some eco complete to the back corner behind the island, also have a mess around with the wood placement so the middle one is less 'there'. i always have pictures to revert to if all goes wrong :)

Here is the improvement (hopefully :lol: )
on another note, is photoshoping wrong? not to add hings in but to sharpen up the colours and contrast etc?
lolok.jpg

if it is, here is an untouched one

DSCF3233.jpg

the dwarf riccia doesnt seem to have taken off under carbon dosing :p
im going to sort out some DIY C02 later on today so hopefully it should go well :)
i havnt got a drop checker or anything though, so ill need to watch the fish carefully :)

I like the effect though!

The easiest way to get rid of floating stuff like in your un-retouched picture is a quick swish with a fine net. Much quicker than photoshop!

Mark

Back