• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Set-up Lights and Hood!

dcb568

Hi All. I setting up my first aquascape using a Fluval ROMA 125. Looking at lighting, I’m keen on either the Fluval Plant 3.0 or the TWINSTAR 600sa. I want some red planting and have seen a couple of nice TROPICA layouts but I’m unsure what light set to use?
Also, I can remove the plastic hood, that would open up the wider use of glass piping but again, I am unsure if the ROMA glass is strong enough for use without its supporting hood.
I have kept fresh and marine for years but in the ‘old days’ have never had success with plants, so I hope you don’t mind the questions. Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Personally I cant see the hood provided any extra support for the tank/glass, its just a means of hiding the top of the tank and any hardware. Having easy access 'open top' makes life much easier for the planted tank and any disadvantages eg water loss and jumpers, is outweighed by the quick easy access you need to keep on top of the plants - esp if going high tank, low tech not so important as much less maintenance required. If you can I would go suspended light and there are EZI-Roll Light Hangers which IMO are well worth considering

Thanks for the link and comments. I think the open top is better, maybe with a TWINSTAR. I guess I was thinking that the Fluval hood acted like a brace but I get your point. Appreciated and happy to get some thoughts about lights.

I have both Twinstar 900s and Fluval 3.0 without hoods. FWIW - I much prefer the Twinstar lights and I have run two Fluval 3.0s to get the light that is required.

+1 for the twinstar. I also recommend the S2 Pro controller for dimming and time control.

Thanks Mr.S. I have seen the controller and agree on both suggestions. I think a lengthy 2 1/2 hour drive to my ‘aqua-scaping’ LFS coming my way

I have bought a TWINSTAR 600SA, nano, Lily pipes, CO2 set and bottle along with test kits and array of bits. The lids off the tank, will remove mastic then get hardscape and plants. Then I need to search out a LFS near Canterbury. Quite excited

Back