• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New setup advice

The ADA solar RGB might look too large for a 60P from an aesthetic point of view also? Something to consider.
CDD55CF3-965F-4D64-93C5-28C9D5240DDE.png

This is a shot of @Shinobi tank. Certainly doesn’t look too big to me.

Fits perfectly on a 60, certainly a high light option where the Aquasky is more of a medium-low light option.
The 'dangers' of high light is in my opinion highly exaggerated. Do your water changes, chose a good substrate so you can do a leaner water column dosing and you're good. You go lazy on maintenance, things will go wrong faster with high light. Consider the time and effort you're willing to put into weekly maintenance

Fits perfectly on a 60, certainly a high light option where the Aquasky is more of a medium-low light option.
The 'dangers' of high light is in my opinion highly exaggerated. Do your water changes, chose a good substrate so you can do a leaner water column dosing and you're good. You go lazy on maintenance, things will go wrong faster with high light. Consider the time and effort you're willing to put into weekly maintenance

Thanks.

In my mind there are two factors using the Solar RGB on a 60P. Height and light duration.
Surely both of these factors can be adjusted to suit individual specifics.

Am I right in thinking, that growth will be different with a high intensity light like the Solar RGB as the plants won’t be growing to “reach the light?”

Thanks.

In my mind there are two factors using the Solar RGB on a 60P. Height and light duration.
Surely both of these factors can be adjusted to suit individual specifics.

Am I right in thinking, that growth will be different with a high intensity light like the Solar RGB as the plants won’t be growing to “reach the light?”

Light wont be your limiting factor in terms of plant selection and growth patterns/coloration if you choose the Solar. I would stick with the recommended hanging height of 30 cm from surface, the light spillage is pretty intense, shade attachments are pretty much a must if tank is placed near a living area

With Aquasky RGB I am running 10 hours without issues on a 60p. Algae growth is minimal and this level of light seems fine for the plants - they are closing before lights off.

I am not yet getting red colours on my Rotala colorota and H'ra which I would expect under this light dosing (although everyone seems to have a different explanation on how to get reds). It could be that I am trimming them too early rather than letting them hang and stress at the water surface.

If I had inifinite money I would try the Solar but I wouldn't think it should be necessary.

If I had inifinite money I would try the Solar
My sentiments also. Also in that case I will try every light (order all at the same time) until I find my favourite and if not, get a company to custom make a light for my needs. ;)

I think the OP only cares about the best light for high light needs so Solar might be the go!

My sentiments also. Also in that case I will try every light (order all at the same time) until I find my favourite and if not, get a company to custom make a light for my needs. ;)

I think the OP only cares about the best light for high light needs so Solar might be the go!

Yes having been there with Marine and always wishing I had more/better light, going forward with this setup, it’s my number one priority.
Solar RGB is cheap compared with the high end marine lights!

Morning Guys

@Ryan Thang To @Shinobi

Just a quick question. Having now ordered the 60P and Solar RGB I will be using Amazonia and ADA ferts.
All the plants will be 1-2 grow. What lighting period would you suggest from day 1/initial setup?
Also should I go with the recommended fert dosing amounts straight away, being that water changes will be performed daily for the first week or so?
Want to do my best to hold back algae as best as I can from the outset.

Cheers guys. 👍🏻

Morning Guys

@Ryan Thang To @Shinobi

Just a quick question. Having now ordered the 60P and Solar RGB I will be using Amazonia and ADA ferts.
All the plants will be 1-2 grow. What lighting period would you suggest from day 1/initial setup?
Also should I go with the recommended fert dosing amounts straight away, being that water changes will be performed daily for the first week or so?

Cheers guys. 👍🏻

With Aquasky RGB I went 8 hours then up to 10 hours after not too long. It helps if you plant heavy to use the light and prevent algae. Solar you might want to be more cautious.

Wrt ferts I went by recommended amount and upped certains ferts if the plants complained. ADA recommend K and Mineral from day 1 but I also had to introduce iron soon after because some of my plants were growing very pale/bleached.

I had basically no algae, apart from a large amount of fungus (maybe diatoms?) on my branch wood, which were cleared up by Otocinclus and shrimp once added.

Last edited:
Morning Guys

@Ryan Thang To @Shinobi

Cheers guys. 👍🏻

I usually start with 6 hours and then add an extra 20 min for each week that passes, until reaching a total of 8 hour photoperiod.
As for dosing, I usually wait two weeks before I start when using nutrient rich soil. If you're using ADA ferts I would just stick with Mineral and Neutral K.

Plants I am currently thinking of.

Alternantheria Reineckii Mini.
Blyxa japonica
Hygrophila Araguaia
Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'
Myriophyllum 'Guyana'
Phyllanthus fluitans
Rotala "Green"
Rotala Wallichi
Rotala indica 'Bonsai'
Rotala macrandra
Rotala 'Vietnam' Hra