• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New 'silicone less' tanks?

Curvball

Got to say, I think the UK aquascapers are going to love these new 'zero bead' tanks - just found out about them yesterday and wanted to share.
http://www.nanoreefblog.com/nano-reef-news/new-zero-bead-seams-look-even-better-than-ada-seams

photo-2-475x600.jpg

Got to say, I think the UK aquascapers are going to love these new 'zero bead' tanks - just found out about them yesterday and wanted to share.
I don't think so, over £2k so i've seen. Why would anyone buy that? Opti-white is good enough, i've never complained or been bothered about having silicone.

I don't think so, over £2k so i've seen. Why would anyone buy that? Opti-white is good enough, i've never complained or been bothered about having silicone.

Oh really? Where did you see this? Only thing I've seen that is similar is the "ADA Cube Garden Superior - No Silicone" range.

Same thing I believe, unless i've got my wires crossed?

As far as I know the ADA is a single sheet of glass molded into a tank - this new zero bead style is still a tank with 5 panes of glass joined but not using any silicone - but I could be wrong.

What's the point when it's dearer than acrylic?

Just got some more info:

"These are paned glass construction not single piece and so won't be costing £2K as ADA do.

The construction is under testing and does use a very thin bead of silicone, but not as a bonding necessity and so the use of silicone can be minimised so much so, that the bead fits within the bevel recess of the glass pane joint with no visible excess internal bead as with normal construction."

I was discussing glass bonding with my mate that made my 60cm tank. He said it is really strong and splash resistant but not suitable for underwater use hence the need for a seal of silicone.
Give that there are tanks available the have silicone so minimal they look as described the price had better be good

I don't think so, .

agreed!

i think although most people don’t show it, they begrudge spending the amount they do on tanks and cabinets and other accessories, without forking out another £1000 extra on a tank

Back