• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New spider crabs

mr. luke

limnopilos naiyanetri
DSCF4196.jpg

DSCF4202.jpg

George Farmer said:
There's a good PFK article on fiddler crabs in the July issue too. They look really colourful, hence their common name, Haribo, after the sweets!
Brackish though if i remember correctly?

just been doing a bit of research and found out there are a few different sub species which probably explains the colour variation :D
i first saw them here, quite a few questions asked by me :rolleyes: lol.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?sho ... 85743&st=0

you can get 5 off ebay for £25 inc. postage, although they aren't currently listed ATM.

Dan Crawford said:
George Farmer said:
There's a good PFK article on fiddler crabs in the July issue too. They look really colourful, hence their common name, Haribo, after the sweets!
Brackish though if i remember correctly?
The author recommends full marine or strong brackish, but I'm not sure if it's the same as spider crabs, as per the crabs in this thread.

the crabs in this aritcle are fully freshwater originating from the roots of floating plants on thai rivers, they're entirely plant and fish safe and get no bigger than most shrimps. I read tonnes of stuff on crabs to help choose species, evetually I settled on vampires, these are brilliant alternatives though as they breed in fresh water and don't need land like almost all other commonly available crabs.

My vampires are coming from Germany, they were the only place in the end I could get any. The micro crabs mentioned on here are coming in through two sellers on Ebay, if you find my thread on them there's a link for one seller, the othe goes by something like "rarest finds aquatics" and they've had them listed a few times, under the eronous sulawesi swimming crab monnicer. They're expencive initially but if given water with a lot of calcium they breed readily. (at least this is the general consensus on the german crusta forums).

The spider crabs i bought came from M/A crowland. they work out cheaper than the ebay ones if you buy the 3 for £10 offer they have. going back for more if they are stil ok after the next weekend.

mr. luke said:
The spider crabs i bought came from M/A crowland. they work out cheaper than the ebay ones if you buy the 3 for £10 offer they have. going back for more if they are stil ok after the next weekend.

I saw them too, they were very cool. But i don't have a spare tank set up for there... :twisted:

mr. luke said:
they are safe with shrimp and small fish if thats ant help? :p

Yes, i nearly bought them, but as my CRS are breeding very well at the moment (just had 20 babies last night), i thought i won't upset the apple cart.

But i may have another look.

Back