• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New substrate in established new tank

So I’ve got an established bare bottom discus tank, with a few potted plants.

I’d now like to put substrate in the stank and have a proer planter tank. Would there be an issue in doing this?

Should I put the fish in another tank for a few weeks when I put the substrate in or would they be ok?

Cheers

Depending on which substrate you use, many will leach ammonia for a few weeks/months

Inert substrates won't. Leaching ammonia is a natural process - it's a metabolic waste very common in aquatic environment and it's simply some kind of excrement - unavoidable in the nature.

Inert as said above like sand, gravel etc won't.

Most of the substrates designed for plants will, so things like ada amozina, tropica etc.

Caribsea Eco complete won't but it's kinda inert. It's got high CEC though.

Cool, sorry a little lost.

So are the brands you mentioned for planting? And f so should I remove the fish for a couple of weeks?

Cheers

Cool, sorry a little lost.

So are the brands you mentioned for planting? And f so should I remove the fish for a couple of weeks?

Cheers

Technically you can plant in any substrate you choose. Purpose designed product just help ( a lot in most cases) as they are usually high in nutrients/ferts that the plants need, and are able to also absorb and store nutrients/ferts from the water column.

If you are going to use a substrate that is known to release ammonia then yes i would move fish.

You will find a few of the better substrates here along with descriptions etc
https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/soil-and-substrate-89-c.asp

Tropica Aquarium Soil is probably your best bet. It doesn't have much of an ammonia spike.

However, you'll really need to transfer your critters in to another tank or storage bin.
That way you can take your time scaping the tank, and get the best result possible.
And perhaps more importantly, it'll potentially be too stressful for your fish otherwise.

Thanks for all your help. I have another 4ft tank they can go in, I guess I’ll keep them there for a few weeks while it settles

Back