• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank all planted up

GraemeVW

Thought I'd post a pic of my new tank all planted.

That's a big lump of plum tree and 2 big rocks from the garden for the hardscape.
Then a sword and vallis (some of which I just noticed is floating 🙄) in the rear corner and cabomba aquatica on the left and along the back. I've brought that out more to the middle in places. Along the edge of that and in some of the more shaded places I've put some limnophilia. Also scattered some hydrocotyle verticillata and some micro sword. These sort of create some bays where there are 3 nymphaea rubra.
The micro sword wasn't in a good way when it arrived and most dissolved by the second day. Some is clinging on. It may make it, it may not.

I'm new to plants so wasn't really sure what I wanted, what would grow best and what would like different areas so it's a bit of an experiment. I'll move things as and when they seem to want it but was generally after a sort of graduating mix/mess of plants rather than a formal 'one plant here, one plant there' kind of look.
It's a bit of a mess right now with diatoms but it will settle. Sort of hoping it will find it's own way and plants will spread where they like it and recede where they don't.
Fish plans are some neon, some kitty tetras, corydoras juli, some wild type cherry shrimp, then some small angels, hopefully ending with a pair only.
The angels may well eat the neons and will almost certainly eat the shrimp, but if the angels go in last and are small, maybe they will leave the neons alone and some shrimp may survive in the plants. Probably not though.

Will be interesting to see how it settles, what works, what doesn't, and how it ends up in 6 months time!
20220819_140756.jpg

Thinking about adding some snails too. Only had them in tanks 18 years ago when I kept puffers though. What some people say are great, others say are a menace!
Ramshorn?
MTS?
Nerites?

I see a few varieties of nerites, are they all the same in behaviour etc?

Hi all,
What some people say are great, others say are a menace!
Ramshorn?
MTS?
I have Red Ramshorn (Planorbella duryi), Malaysian Trumpet (Melanoides tuberculata) and Tadpole (Physella acuta) snails <"in all the tanks">. They do a good job as <"tank janitors"> and I wouldn't be without them. They all breed without any problems in the tank and I've had all of them from a start "inocculation" more than twenty years ago.

Nerites are a bit different, they need harder water and they can't reproduce in fresh water.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I have Red Ramshorn (Planorbella duryi), Malaysian Trumpet (Melanoides tuberculata) and Tadpole (Physella acuta) snails <"in all the tanks">. They do a good job as <"tank janitors"> and I wouldn't be without them. They all breed without any problems in the tank and I've had all of them from a start "inocculation" more than twenty years ago.

Nerites are a bit different, they need harder water and they can't reproduce in fresh water.

cheers Darrel
Didnt know about tadpole snails, sound pretty useful.
Maybe more so than ramshorn.

Back