• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank background arrived today

The top one is how it is meant to be but the one on the bottom would be great for blind cave fish!

No its meant to be the other way, with the overhang. That's how the company designed it. The trouble is I think it will be more difficult to fit upside down but think I'm going to give it a go.

Very nice :)
Where did you get it from?
I prefer it upside down for a planted tank.
Right way up looks more like a cave scene for blind cave fish. Very dramatic, but not so natural for an above-ground scene.

It was from aquadecor, yeah I'm hoping I can fit it upside down

The top one gives the most realistic depth perseption..:) Slowly stepping down from shallow to deep. It also spirals in a bit, actualy nicely done for a 3d background..

The bottom, as foxfixh says, its a clifs overhang, something for a minimal planted Malawi cichlid tank. But the light play/ shadows spoil the depth. In the top one it creates depth.

The top one gives the most realistic depth perseption..:) Slowly stepping down from shallow to deep. It also spirals in a bit, actualy nicely done for a 3d background..

The bottom, as foxfixh says, its a clifs overhang, something for a minimal planted Malawi cichlid tank. But the light play/ shadows spoil the depth. In the top one it creates depth.

Yeah, I think I'm sold on the idea of having it upside down, not sure why that didnt cross my mind during the 6hours I spent staring at it last night.

I'll let you all know if I manage to glue it successfully. Until then, any suggestions on substrate (good for plants) and a mid range light (also good for plants) would be appreciated.

I've currently been thinking fluval black for the substrate....if that's what it's calledo_O

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but I prefer it the right way up. It has much more tension and it'd be a great place to stick shade loving epiphytes. But I guess it depends on the style of scape you want to create :)

The original orientation is “correct” - it’s a typical rift lake 3D background design with overhanging rock
I can just see the Paracyprichromis hanging out there ;) ... just choose plants and fish carefully and you can do the perfect low light planted Tanganyikan tank :D

The original orientation is “correct” - it’s a typical rift lake 3D background design with overhanging rock
I can just see the Paracyprichromis hanging out there ;) ... just choose plants and fish carefully and you can do the perfect low light planted Tanganyikan tank :D

Nice idea, never kept cichlids before. Nice looking fish though. Too many decisions :nailbiting:

If placing it on the bottom a small hole in it near the highest point to let the air inside it escape then glue probably won't be needed as the weight of the substrate should hold it down. Hole could be really small too.

I think the air is trapped within the material, it's not hollow so I think that's why they recommend gluing. Ideally I wouldn't glue it though....seems too permanent

I’m maintaining my 1st Way Right Way stance ;)
The background is painted as overhanging rock - “upsidedown” just looks odd

Back