• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NEW TANK - HOW MANY FISH

Popason

My new tank is approximately 56 gallons. The dimensions are 36" L X 20" H X 18" W. It will be high tech with Co2, Oase 250 filter, and a Twinstar 900sa LED light fixture. My plan is to include 20 Cardinal Tetra and 10 Ember Tetra along with a few cories and later on some shrimp and snails. Does anyone see any issues with this bioload?

Stocking looks good.

I would say you are under filtered though for a high tech tank. Should be looking at the oase 600 really. In a similar sized tank I have the 600 filter plus a Eheim 350 skim.

In a perfect world you want 10 X turnover per hour of what it says on the filter box, knowing that in real life you’ll get 6-7. You’ve got 4-5 X turnover so will only get turnover of maybe 3 X per hour.

You could supplement it with a powerhead. But imo you’d be better adding a second filter, assuming you have the 350 already.

Maybe not what you want to hear but hope it helps.

If you’ve already got the Oase 250 and can’t return/exchange etc, you might just add a second same/similar filter

I’ve a similar tank (old Oceanic “Show”) and have run it successfully with an Eheim Pro 3 250
Currently it’s running with an Eheim Pro 4 350 - the 600 was unavailable at the time of sale - decidedly fewer “dead” spots than with the 250 filter
I also run an Eheim 350 skim but turn off at night as someone is bound to climb in - you can add in mesh guards etc on the skim tower

If I did it all over again, I’d wait for an Eheim 2080/2180 (on sale) as the double inlet/single outlet provides excellent flow

Amount/architecture of hardscape definitely impacts filter requirement, also density/height of planting

Your fish load is fine, I’d increse the Ember Tetra shoal to at least 20 as well
I’d establish the Ember shoal first so they are confident in the tank before adding in the Cardinals - if possible add small juvenile Cardinals ... “growing up together” can definitely impact fish behaviour longterm

Thanks, alto, I actually have a Fluval 350 in my garage. I will probably run both. Also, great advice regarding the fish. Thanks again.

If you want to consider fish alternates

Sundadanio axelrodi
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/sundadanio-axelrodi/
Note the blue, green & red forms are now considered separate species
Once settled they have amazing iridescence- I recently picked up a shoal of ‘greens’ (S margarition) - top down they have a gold iridescent red top line

Microrasbora kubotai
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/microdevario-kubotai/

In my area they’re priced similar to Cardinals, both are less aggressive eaters than the Cardinal/Neon tetra group, so easier to ensure the Embers get enough without overfeeding (envision some Fat Cardinals ;))

Note that tank bred Cardinals (most of what’s available in shops) are not quite the same as wild Cardinals (based on conformation and color demarcation, I’m suspicious that some hybridization (neons?) occurred (in the parent lines) to solve the breeding barrier)

Hi all,
Note that tank bred Cardinals (most of what’s available in shops) are not quite the same as wild Cardinals (based on conformation and color demarcation, I’m suspicious that some hybridization (neons?) occurred (in the parent lines) to solve the breeding barrier)
I think I've read somewhere recently that the three "neon" pattern Paracheirodon Tetra species aren't actually very closely related and its convergent evolution that has led them to the same colour pattern?

cheers Darrel

Hi all, I think I've read somewhere recently that the three "neon" pattern Paracheirodon Tetra species aren't actually very closely related and its convergent evolution that has led them to the same colour pattern?

cheers Darrel

Have you seen the (new) Paracheirodon innesi ‘green’?
Definitely not P simulans (which has a distinctive behaviour/swimming style) but looks like a possible hybrid ...
It lists along with the P innesi ‘albino’ and ‘diamond’ and ‘gold’ variants

Hi all,
Found a reference, but I can't get the full text.

Yan, Aifen. Mitochondrial DNA. Part A Volume: 28 Issue 3 (2017) ISSN: 2470-1394 "The complete mitochondrial genome of Paracheirodon innesi. "
The phylogenetic tree was constructed based on mitochondrial genome sequences of P. Innesi and 13 closely related species using the Maximum Likelihood (ML) method. The phylogenetic tree clearly illustrated phylogenetic relationshios of P. Innesi (Figure 1). The closely related species of P. Innesi was paracheirodon axelrodi, which confirmed that it indeed belong to genus Paracheirodon.

Graph: Figure 1. Phylogenetic tree generated using the ML method based on complete mitochondrial genomes. Genbank accession number of species used in the tree: Paracheirodon axelrodi (AB898197.1), Hemigrammus bleheri (LC074360.1), Grundulus bogotensis (KM677190.1), Hasemania nana (AB861475.1), Apareiodon affinis (AP011998.1), Ichthyoelephas longirostris (KP025763.1), Chilodus punctatus (AP011984.1), Distichodus sexfasciatus (AB070242.1), Platysmacheilus exiguous (KF926823.1), Microphysogobio fukiensis (KJ933414.1), Gyrinocheilus aymonieri (AB242164.1), hypophthalmichthys molitrix (NC_010156.1), Paracanthobrama guichenoti (KJ645748.1).
It looks quite convincing, but I'm not sure that any of the other Charcins are closely related enough to P. innesi or P. axelrodi to give any other answer.

cheers Darrel

Back