• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank, New scape, coming in the New year.

Wahoo other tank has finally gone, Added some beautiful new inmates last Sunday, I had never seen them before and couldn't resist also bumping up the Cardinal stock, got a couple of Zebra snails to help cleaning crew and a 2 wood Shrimp just because they were different, I also got a couple of African shrimp yesterday.

@alto running purigen in the second basket down. Cloudy may have been because Chihiro's doctor had just been on (don't know other than that). The Buce's seem to be taking it in turn to melt the first one now making a recovery and others melting back a bit:meh:.

I added a pot of Eleocharis mini during maintenance yesterday FInally got what was meant by Seige and you silly old me...
Pic heavy from here.
View attachment 132446

View attachment 132447

View attachment 132449 View attachment 132448
Heres a few pics of some of the beautiful residents.
View attachment 132450
View attachment 132452

View attachment 132451
View attachment 132453

View attachment 132454

View attachment 132455

View attachment 132456 View attachment 132457
Tank looks great, really coming along well.

sorry to be the bearer of bad new but those two colourful cichlids you’ve added need to be removed ASAP. They’re both Malawi cichlids which will become fairly large, very territorial and more than likely eat your plants. Especially the yellow one which is a baby melanochromis auratus, one of the meanest Malawi cichlids around. Given time it’ll probably kill nearly all of your stock. I wouldn’t hang about in getting rid as they’ll only cause massive issues as they get bigger.

Keep up the good work though! The tank looks great.

cheers

conor

They (the yellow and black striped ones) have shown some aggression chasing a baby RCS and a small cardinal, Thanks for the information on these cichlids am I right that in thinking that the purple ones will have to go as well?

They (the yellow and black striped ones) have shown some aggression chasing a baby RCS and a small cardinal, Thanks for the information on these cichlids am I right that in thinking that the purple ones will have to go as well?
Unfortunately yes, it’s a psuedotropheus demasoni. Won’t get anywhere near as large as the auratus (yellow one) but is still an aggressive bugger. Lovely fish but only for a dedicated Malawi aquarium and not a planted aquarium. Does the shop you got these from know your current stock? If so I’d avoid these in future as they shouldn’t recommend fish like these.

cheers

Conor

Before I do my update on how things are going, I would first like to thanks the guys for the advice reference the cichlids they were removed from tank (after some fun and games but that's another story) and returned to the shop without any problems.

I seem to have a problem, We had a power cut during the early hours recently and the other day after going to bed I had an epiphany, my Jebao doser always seems to put both pumps on the same day if electric supply is interrupted. I decided to get up pre-dosing time a couple of days ago to check dosing was working correctly, 1 pump dispensed Good stuff, today was my second check day and I have noticed that 1 of my dosing tanks has backfilled slowly (rough guess approx 600ml over the last 24hrs). Both my dosing lines have 2 check valves in 1 3/4" from dosing tank and the other 8" below aquarium rim (just out of sight). I used 2 valves deliberately to stop this happening (had heard/read about backfilling), now I'm guessing that both check valves have failed on that line at the same. What are the chances?

How have you set up your dosing lines?
Mine are connected to glass U bends just hanging on the tank rim.

I have my dosing lines cable tied to my light bracket, the lines sit a couple mm above the water surface otherwise it will slowly suck up some tank water. But for me it wouldn't be a major problem as it would only siphon a couple cm up the tube until the next dose it pumped in. The only problem with the way i've done it is i assume my light will degrade a little bit of the micro solution but realistically i haven't noticed any major issues seeing as most of us are using EI which is basically over dosing anyways. IMG_20200420_180036__01.jpg

Back