• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank plans

johnlfc

Seedling
Hi All,

I am currently in the planning stages of a new system however I am totally new to planted tanks.

I have a large display tank of dimensions 80x20x24" with 2 x tanks beneath. One 3ft and one 4ft. I have 2 overflows from the display that flow into the bottom tanks. One overflow goes into each tank. The 3ft tank then flows into the 4ft tank below where all water can then be returned to the display by the return pump / pumps from the 4ft tank.

I am looking to make use of the equipment I have and was wondering would it be possible for me to use the 4ft tank as a sump filter and use the 3ft tank as purely water volume and aid with water changes.

I am looking through the forum to research and build up knowledge but any help / ideas would be most appreciated as I would like to get this right first time round. I am in no rush to set this system up!!

I am looking mainly at getting the filtration sorted at the moment before moving onto other things. I know I want to use Co2 and have aquired a 5kg and 2kg FE but that was just because I had the opportunity.

I dont intend adding any power filters as I am hoping to design the 4ft sump tank to take care of all filtration requirements.

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Cheers
John

Hi,
Welcome to the forum. As long as you can supply adequate flow rate, there should not be a problem with your proposal. The problem, as always, is with maintaining proper levels of CO2, which is difficult enough on a 7 foot tank, but with your scheme of two additional tanks in the loop, you'll have to saturate all three tanks with CO2 in order to ensure that the main tank has adequate levels. Depending on how the water flows from one tank to the next, you could have CO2 outgassing problems. Any splashing or violent impact of the water releases CO2 from solution in the same way as shaking a pop bottle. Therefore the water movement should be carefully designed as to avoid splashing, gurgling and so forth. If any of the tanks are exposed to atmosphere (i.e. uncovered) then there is a risk CO2 outgassing as well, so these weak links need to be addressed, otherwise you may find that your CO2 consumption is unacceptable.

Depending on your lighting a nearly 7 foot tank plus the other 7 foot worth of tanks will be awfully difficult to satisfy with a measly 5Kg FE. Imagine if you went to the pub and they served you your favorite brew in a shot glass. Getting the picture?

14 foot worth of tanks also would consume vast quantities of nutrients in order to produce the right concentration levels, again, depending on your goals of lighting and growth rate. If you can eliminate one of the supplementary tanks, preferably the larger one, life might be easier, but will be no bed of roses either. :crazy:

Cheers,

Appreciate the reply..Thanks

It has kind of rained on my parade though so I may need to rethink what system to create as I really dont want to fail.

Back to the drawing board :wideyed: :? :?

Cheers
John

A tank like that is very ambitious as a first attempt at a planted tank! There's so many things to balance and keep an eye on and, as Clive said, a larger tank makes all that harder (as does a really small tank!).

What fish were you planning to keep in the tank? You have the right sized tank to create an amazing display tank with some plants in a much more low-tech way that could look amazing. I'm thinking Amazon biotope with a patch of large swords growing up out of the tank and flowering and a tropical lily or similar in one spot with a nutrient-rich substrate in that area and light confined to that part which would cut down on the problems with lots of wood and sand in most of the other areas of the tank, but it kinda depends on what fish you'd planned! A giant mbuna set-up would look amazing too and you have nursery tanks for the young already linked up too!!!

Ed... I like the look of the Mbuna idea. Great looking fish!! I think I will research that option some more...would look good in my large tank as its fitted into the wall at the end of the living room...picture frame effect.

I might manage to wrangle myself another tank out of this to try a planted tank also....would a trigon 350 or 190 be a better starting point for a planted set up?

Cheers
John

Hi johnlfc
Just my tuppence worth.
I started my planted tank experience with a Rio 180 and that learning curve was steep enough, getting the balance of everything right. You'll hear this time and again, but CO2 delivery and distribution will be your biggest battle. They were certainly mine, but all under control now :D .
BTW a near 7ft tank would frighten the life out of me, if I was going hi tech :lol:.

Chris

Back