• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank plant health

AlanRR

I set up my new tank on Wednesday so it has only had a few days to settle in. How soon should i start to get concerned abou plant health? I am assuming that the plants might be expected to struggle for a while after the shipping process and moving to a new environment?

It is a 60l tank with no pressurised CO2 (just the Tropica system 60 Diffusion setup that hasn’t managed to change my drop checker from blue). The lights are on for 6 hours per day. They are LED lights that fit into the lid of the Interpet tank and I’m not sure of the PAR. I am dosing 2ml of the aquascaper liquid plant food daily and doing a daily 50%+ water change.

I have put some floating plants in as a way to monitor health. They currently look like this

WP_20190317_08_33_11_Pro.jpg

I am also noticing what I think is called melt on some of the other plants

WP_20190317_08_15_58_Pro.jpg

WP_20190317_08_16_41_Pro.jpg

WP_20190317_08_16_16_Pro.jpg

Should I be concerned at this stage or do I need to give them more time to settle?

Thanks

Alan

The clear tips on Microsorum (java fern) is normal for new leaves. It is not uncommon for new plants to shed some leaves btw. That might just be the plant acclimatising to the new environment, some might have been grown emersed at the nursery, and are thus transitioning to submerged leaves.
Your regiment sounds sensible for now, keep it up, and give it a few weeks. You can remove dying leaves, they don't contribute to plant or tank health.
Not familiar with your particular lights, maybe others have some input.

The clear tips on Microsorum (java fern) is normal for new leaves. It is not uncommon for new plants to shed some leaves btw. That might just be the plant acclimatising to the new environment, some might have been grown emersed at the nursery, and are thus transitioning to submerged leaves.
Your regiment sounds sensible for now, keep it up, and give it a few weeks. You can remove dying leaves, they don't contribute to plant or tank health.
Not familiar with your particular lights, maybe others have some input.

Thanks Fiske. Feel a bit like a new parent not knowing what’s normal and when to panic :lol: Will keep at it and keep an eye on things

Subtitle “The Death of Grass”

An old book title but I’m actually after a bit of advice or reassurance on the Sagitaria subulata (Tropica 1 2 grow) and Vallisneria spiralis in my new tank. The tank has now been running for 11 days and both have pretty much melted away.

This photo shows the Sag a couple of days ago. You can see the area of melt in the middle and this has now spread to pretty much the rest of it. The Vallis is similar.

22565f656267d29213dac8aa05c42096.jpg

I know the tank is in its very early stages but is there anything I can do to stem the melt or is it just a case of waiting and hoping it grows back in time?

I have a couple of crypts as well that have shown some melt and are looking a bit spotty...not sure if it is anything to worry about at this stage?

e5868ae1dbbf3e50fe5f7294344e29d4.jpg

I’m still doing daily 50% water changes which I’m thinking of reducing to every other day now. I don’t have pressured CO2 and am dosing with 2ml of The Aquascaper CPF every day. Lights are still set for 6 hours.

This is what the frogbit I,be put in as an index plant looks like

dbf35b3b0f3b390bef7e13066e05a989.jpg

Thanks for any advice

Alan

Back