• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Tank Setup

Barry Hannah

Hi all fairly new to trying an aquascape type tank

Started off with a small Bio Tube 30L tank that mainly had fish and a couple of plants that did ok but nothing special.

Updated to a 240L tank around 16 months ago and been slowly upgrading it and adding more and more plants.

Recently stripped everything out and tried to get a bit of an aquascape going.

Any comments would be great, thanks

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20190605_172014.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20190605_172014.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 140
Barry

You have a very nice and healthy looking tank. My suggestions would be the heavy piece of DW on the RH end even though it looks good it seems to be to heavy and overpowering compared with the rest of the Aquascape. I would prefer a lighter piece very similar the DW on the LH end. Substrate would look better if it was the same depth across the front of the tank. The LH end is very bare are you intending to have plants there if so what are you planning on having?

Keith:wave::wave:

Your tank looks good. With good healthy plant growth. Perhaps rather than replacing the piece of driftwood, perhaps you could try placing the thick end currently at the front right hand side behind the rocks at the back right hand side. In this way in would feel less dominant. You could even saw some of this thicker end off then to make it fit etc if you needed too.

I'm sure you have this covered but I can I check the rhizome of your anubias is above the substrate?

Editted to add: I can see there is a filter box back there so not sure how feasible this is actually going to be? I was just really keen to suggest tweaks you could try rather than replacing things (such a nice large piece of DWmust have been expensive!)

Hi guys thanks for taking a look at the tank.

So the larger bit of wood I did try and get it more to the back behind the rock but as its a Juwel tank it has an internal filter so that was in the way. Also thought as its such a nice piece of wood it would be a shame to hide it too much.

Yes the Anubias has the rhizome above the sand and seems to be doing really well, have had to cut some leaves off as they were covered in algae but the rest of the leaves look healthy plus its currently got two flowers on it and more leaves shooting!!

Im not 100% sure what / if anything to do with the left hand side of the tank, I quite like that one side is quite dense with plants and the other more open. The corydoras sterbai I have seem to really like the open side of the tank and have claimed the two small rocks with the bucephalandra in the middle as theirs.

I was looking to get some more plants to grow on the main rock (on the right) to fill that up a little more.

I got the two sections of wood from Aquarium Gardens I think they were around £30 each so not cheap but worth it I think.

Suggest you try to "take a step back" from your work and have a think about what you want the overall composition to be. It sound as if you are after a triangular layout... something like my 220 litre (not saying this is a good example necessarily...) so once you know what your aiming at overall for the tank, you can plan the steps to get there.

Attachments

• IMG_20181011_200345_146.jpg
    IMG_20181011_200345_146.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 68
Thanks, yes looking at a triangular style which is why I was trying to get one side heavily planted and then working down to hardly anything at all.

You tank looks really great, thanks for sharing!

Back