• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank setup

Calrus

Seedling
After some advice on my recently setup tank.
Its 1400x450x450 (270l)
Twinstar 1200sa 10cm above the tank, currently set at 38% for 7hrs a day
2 x hydor 600 filters
Co2 art setup, with inline diffuser on hour befee lights and off hour before lights out.
4ml tnc complete 2ml easy ferro 4ml potassium daily
Stocked with
Bucephalandra, anubias, cryptocoryne, microsorium and some hygrophila.
Some blackbeard algae on bucephalandra and green hair algae. Some spot algae on the anubias.
How does this sound for a start, any improvement?
Not sure on my dosing and the lighting brightness.
Thanks for looking

Attachments

• 16060650771108493610023191949740.jpg
    16060650771108493610023191949740.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 315
I'd reduce light length to 6 hours, intensity seems ok, mostly low light species. Do you have some stems/floaters to absorb excess nutrients? How is growth on the plants?

Thanks for taking the time to go over it for me.
I've got some pennywort, a few floaters (that are multiplying) and the hygrophila siemensis. I was think to ad a few stems of sessiliflora I have in another tank, just to help whilst it settles.
The bucephalandra is sprouting new leaves, as is the anubias, just very slowly. A few leaves had holes in, hence the extra potassium.
Was curious if it was my light/ferts causing the algae of just being a new setup.

I’d suggest the light looks low at 38%. I’d usually suggest start at 60% and increase it 5 or 10% weekly. Buy like others said you have low light plants and are very lightly planted.

would be worth adding a tip one more plants, fast growing stems at the back if you can. Floating plants are good also.

you have a big tank so co2 on perhaps 4-5 hours before the lights. Usually run it 24/7 for the first couple of weeks. Bright yellow on the drop checker. Get the plants used to being underwater. Assuming no livestock to harm.

Thanks for your input.
I'll definitely ad more stems to the back.
I've alot more bucephalandra in another tank to put in also, which I held off from putting in after alot of the anubias I had in at first started to rot at the rhizome, one after the other. Was unsure if this could effect the bucephalandra. The anubias that are left have been fine for the last cpl of weeks.

hi there I don't now if any 1 can help but I have a twister 1200sa III and its to bright can any 1 pls know what is the best dimmer for this 1 ?
thankyou all

Some blackbeard algae on bucephalandra and green hair algae. Some spot algae on the anubias
Hello,
These are all symptoms of poor CO2. Since you are adding CO2 then you'll need to look at your flow/distribution. Your photo does not show how you are distributing the flow so it's not possible to comment. I would certainly NOT increase the light intensity as this makes the algae stronger and the plants weaker.
Do you have some stems/floaters to absorb excess nutrients?
There is no need to absorb excess nutrients. Algae is definitely NOT related to excess nutrients.

Cheers,

Back