• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank, weak light.

onetwothree

Hi all,

Very quick question, I’ve recently set up a planted 125 litre as my first tank. I purchased a Fluval Eco Light Hagen Fluval Eco Bright LED Strip Lights 6W 9W 13W 15W 38cm - 130cm (9W 53cm-83cm) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013U25HM0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UaogEbZFTS5DB

Having done further research, im assuming this is pretty much totally incapable of growing anything in a tank this size? Even at the lower level, 0.25 watt per litre, I need something at 31+ watts, where as in currently sat at 9. Would you recommend I purchase something more powerful in addition to the 30 figure and provide my plants with optimal conditions?

Thanks

Alex

With the LED era the old tube light index in watt per litre doesn't count anymore. Since LED is all about more output at lower consumption. And this still keeps evolving..

You have to review the technical data and find out the lumen specifications. Then if you are still familiar with the old index, you can compare this lumen specification with similar tube light and it's watt x lumen specification.

In the early days, Watt vs Lumen output in tube lights was pretty the same all over regardless the brand, that's probably how the Watt p/L index came to live.

Depending on the led type used in the build a 9 watt LED module at 50 cm long could easily outperform a similar 40 watts tube light regarding lumen output. But there are huge variations on the market. a smd5050 module maybe gets 15 lumen per LED and stands totally in the dark compared with a smd8520 dual chip module performance at 60 lumen per LED.

Last edited:
I’d suggest returning the Eco Light - it was marketed as adding LED shimmer to your aquarium etc
(not for plant growth ... though it might “bring out some colours”)

You can contact Hagen/Fluval for specifications
(as I recall, these are very low intensity LEDs)

I’d suggest returning the Eco Light - it was marketed as adding LED shimmer to your aquarium etc
(not for plant growth ... though it might “bring out some colours”)

You can contact Hagen/Fluval for specifications
(as I recall, these are very low intensity LEDs)

Thanks guys. I returned it today and got any Aquasky 2.0 25 watt. Way brighter and 1250+ lumens, 60 ish par at the substrate I believe in my tank. Should do the job far better than the eco.

Decidedly more suitable light for growing plants :D

What are the tank dimensions?

Oh right
the Zombie Media :walkingdead:
:p

Decidedly more suitable light for growing plants :D

What are the tank dimensions?

Oh right
the Zombie Media :walkingdead:
:p

125 litre, its 80 cm long, so this light spans the entire length at 83 cm including the bracket. The zombie media remains a mystry as to its impact on the tank! haha.

Back