• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank with a biotope approach

Fred13

Hello to all fellow hobbyists!
After several aquascapes I would like to setup a biotope oriented tank. I really lack free time so I cant keep up with high tech planted tanks. Despite that, I would like to reduce budget as much as possible without sacrificing filtering and hardscape material though.
I found out that Orinoco River is beautiful with plenty of options in fish spieces and with few plants ( cannot identify them :/) that I would really like to have.
I want it to be biotope oriented but not strictly apply all the rules. My vision is an orinoco oriented tank but with certain aquascaping principles applied on it.
Unfortunately, I can't find particular information for plants in this certain biotope.
Can you help me to record some ?
Last but not least , I cant find any information if this river has stones.
Any help for orinoco - Llanos biotope would be great and thank you in advance !

If your not too specific Amazon Swords and floating plants will give you the look. And a lot of areas in the amazon dont really have many if any plants because of the tannins and overhanging wood.

If your not too specific Amazon Swords and floating plants will give you the look. And a lot of areas in the amazon dont really have many if any plants because of the tannins and overhanging wood.
Hello and thank you,
Indeed most of the Amazon areas dont have plants . However , a part in Orinoco named Llanos (correct me if I am wrong) is a clear water part of the river with several plants. Llanos is Ramirezi's origin. My problem is that I cant identify the plants which belong there. I found a setup which took a great rank at a biotope contest which has tenellus.
Anyway , as you understand I am not looking strictly the rules of this biotope but it would be great if I can identify at least few plants that they are actually a part of this biotope.
In addition, the tank will be a clear water biotope ( like Llanos ) with leaves on the substrate but not that many to stain water..

I would also like to ask you about planting and substate. Because of the biotope orientation I will use sand as substrate, probably Ada's which is larger grain than others .
How do you think should I fertilize it? I am thinking of using a bottom layer of aquasoil that I keep spare or root tabs. Or a combination of both aquasoil layer and tabs ?

It could be try to research the likes if heiko bleher biotopes these usually give a in depth of all the flora and fauna and not many plants are unknown to them. It may be use a similar looking plant if its unavailable.

It's a area of grassland and tall hairgrass medium amazon swords and floating plants maybe amazon frogbit and tenallus as you indicated would create the look. If l can find anything else

Thank you so much for your answers guys.
The apisto forum you referenced has some information about orinoco. I think that I can use any plants from South America as long as they have limited needs ( low tech with a twinstar b line fish-only led). According to what I have read so far , it will still be biotope oriented even if it includes plants from the generic area and not only from the specific part of the river. Correct me if I am wrong.
However I cant really find any related information about hardscape. I see that there are some kind of driftwood ( river driftwood or bogwood will do the trick ) and there is no information about rocks. Does the river has rocks? I have some great loa rocks that I have never used before and I would like to. It is volcanic though.

And few more questions. I am going to use sand probably the adas which is larger.
Shall I put something underneath ?
I have some ada power sand and amazonia soil that I don't use somewhere anyway.
Does this make any difference for the low tech plants that I ll use ?

Funny enough a book has just come out detailing fish and plant species in the Orinoco. It’s an excellent book with great photography.

Fortunately many popular aquarium fish are from the Orinoco so you’ll be spoilt for choice. Good tank mates for rams from the same area would be green neons, nanostomus eques, hemigrammus stictus and many others. Plant wise I believe that eleocharis is found in many of the biotopes along with tonina fluviatilis, bacopa.

I’ll have a look at the book tomorrow as I’ve just purchased it and see what plants it lists for the ram biotope.

cheers

Conor

Funny enough a book has just come out detailing fish and plant species in the Orinoco. It’s an excellent book with great photography.

Fortunately many popular aquarium fish are from the Orinoco so you’ll be spoilt for choice. Good tank mates for rams from the same area would be green neons, nanostomus eques, hemigrammus stictus and many others. Plant wise I believe that eleocharis is found in many of the biotopes along with tonina fluviatilis, bacopa.

I’ll have a look at the book tomorrow as I’ve just purchased it and see what plants it lists for the ram biotope.

cheers

Conor
Wow thank you !
I also found cardinals as a good option for dither fish since they tolerate the same water conditions and temperature. Venezuela Corydoras are also from Llanos.
As for the rocks, since I wont strictly follow the rules I may break some to keep hardscape a little bit more interesting with more options for territories and spawning areas.
There is also another chichild that I found leaving there named Keyhole Chichild which according to a quick research is a medium sized peaceful fish. However It is ambiguous If it lives at the same area rams live. It is for sure from orinoco though.

Here it is, only a few species listed however due to its large range there are hundreds of species that would be suitable. The plants are easily obtainable too luckily.

cheers

Attachments

• 7A2A2B9E-0837-4C15-BF40-C441A7DCC7B2.jpeg
    7A2A2B9E-0837-4C15-BF40-C441A7DCC7B2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 190
Hi all,
Does the river has rocks?
No rocks, or gravel, at all, away from the <"Andes piedmont">.

The "white water" rivers that flow from the Andes <("like the Rio Meta")>, drop all their heavier sediment as soon as they enter the lowlands and just carry a huge load of fine sand, silt and clay. The "black water" rivers flow across silica sand, which is why they are so nutrient poor. They are also acidic ,which limits microbial decomposition, and have a bottom layer of dead leaves and branches, above very fine sand.

The <"Guiana Shield"> is entirely comprised of very old, very hard, rocks and doesn't really contribute any sedimentary material, which is why the rivers running from it are "clear water" rivers with a rock bed. As soon as they reach the lowlands they are likely to become black water rivers.

There are pictures of the <"Xingu etc which have rock beds with sand">.

hypancistrus_zebra_pleco_biotope.jpg

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Amano used to observe huge rocks in grassland areas and would aquascape on imagining how they would look submerged after the rains came and use well worn rocks and just hairgrass inthe aquascape

Thanks for the heads up @Conort2 - I’ve put one on order.

Are there any other similar biotope books with good photography on the recommended reading list - I’m keen to learn more?

@Fred13 following your progress with interest as I think my personal aims within the hobby are starting to move in a similar direction.

Last edited:
Here it is, only a few species listed however due to its large range there are hundreds of species that would be suitable. The plants are easily obtainable too luckily.

cheers
Thanks for the heads up @Conort2 - I’ve put one in order.

Are there any other similar biotope books with good photography on the recommended reading list - I’m keen to learn more.

@Fred13 following your progress with interest as I think my personal aims within the hobby are starting to move in a similar direction.
Hi all,

No rocks, or gravel, at all, away from the <"Andes piedmont">.

The "white water" rivers that flow from the Andes <("like the Rio Meta")>, drop all their heavier sediment as soon as they enter the lowlands and just carry a huge load of fine sand, silt and clay. The "black water" rivers flow across silica sand, which is why they are so nutrient poor. They are also acidic ,which limits microbial decomposition, and have a bottom layer of dead leaves and branches, above very fine sand.

The <"Guiana Shield"> is entirely comprised of very old, very hard, rocks and doesn't really contribute any sedimentary material, which is why the rivers running from it are "clear water" rivers with a rock bed. As soon as they reach the lowlands they are likely to become black water rivers.

There are pictures of the <"Xingu etc which have rock beds with sand">.

hypancistrus_zebra_pleco_biotope.jpg

cheers Darrel
Thank you so much guys for the wonderful information! DW, it seems that you are a well informed enthusiast!
I want to be honest mainly to my self. I will break some rules regarding the hardscape for aesthetic reasons. For example I'll probably use few rocks. But I will structure it as much more natural it can gets.
After several years setting up my planted tank with co2 , intensive lightning setup and daily dosing schedules, I think it's time to enjoy fish keeping in a more fish friendly environment and worry a little bit less for my plants:)
I will keep you updated! I am sure I will have many questions as I progress.
Thank you !

For example I'll probably use few rocks.
Just make sure you don’t use any mini landscape rock or anything similar. This rock will increase your hardness and you don’t want that with the fish species you are looking at.

Cheers

Conor

Last edited:
Back