• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank with low GH, KH

Lynxx

Seedling
I have a 150L heavy planted tank, I've used Tropica Aqarium Soil and I'm injecting CO2. The plants are doing very and I'm seeing alot of growth, I am doing water changes twice a week (about 40%) my main concern is that I'm getting very low readings on my GH and KH.. Would the Tropica Soil be causing this?

Thanks. Will it start to rise to normal levels over time?

Hi. I'm using tap water with Seachem Prime.

Do you use RO water? and what is normal levels? I run very low GH and KH and my plants thrive (KH is basically 0-1 and GH is around 3). I would only look to increase them if it was causing my plants or livestock problems 🙂

I'm using tap water. I'm currently using the test sticks. The readings seem very low. I'm a bit concerned about adding livestock when it's so low. I've attached a picture of the test strip.
Screenshot_20210503-213819_Gallery.jpg

Personally, I would ignore that portion of the test strip. i get the same results on my strips.

is there anything about the low readings that concerns you? Some of the most successful and prize winning aquascapes have the lowest GH & KH 🙂

I'm using tap water with Seachem Prime.
Hi @Lynxx

OK, next suggestion - please get a copy of the full tap water report from your water company. It will be available for download on their website.

Although test strips are not always reliable, I do agree that the one in your picture is showing GH and KH to both be zero. The API KH/GH liquid test kit is very economical and more reliable. But, having said that, I have never come across tap water with 0dGH and 0dKH. Something doesn't tally.

I am also intrigued that @GHNelson suspects Tropica Soil may be the culprit.

JPC

I have another tank but that doesnt have Tropica soil or CO2 and the attached picture is the test result from it. I've tested my tap water and the GH & KH is much higher when it goes in the tank.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210503-223157_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-223157_Gallery.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 114
You need to read the test strip for kh and gh immediately after dipping, if you wait any length of time the colours will fade (give lower readings).

Is the tank cycled?

For reference my tank kh is always between 0~20 and the gh is between 30~60, and I should obviously add test that stips aren't the most accurate of devices.

Last edited:
The readings were taken within a few seconds of coming out the tank. The tank is just over two weeks old and it's gone through the cycle. I will pick up a drop test kit tomorrow and take a look. The only things that are different between the tanks is that one has Tropica soil and CO2 injected.

Yes, Ive used Tropica soil/powder it always lowers my hard tap and reduces the pH.
Eventually it loses its ability to lower KH/pH after a number of years!

Tropica Aquarium Soil is a Japanese natural volcanic granulate material. Aquarium Soil naturally reduces your KH and pH value and enhances the ability of the plants to absorb nutrients. Aquarium Soil ensures good and active growth from the beginning and boosts the red plant shades and is a complete substrate, which can be used without any other types of the bottom layer. Aquarium Soil is further an active bottom layer that lowers the pH value and slightly affects the water chemistry.

So with the soil reducing my GH & KH is it safe to put livestock in the aquarium?

So with the soil reducing my GH & KH is it safe to put livestock in the aquarium?
Yes, you should stop worrying about KH or GH. Neither livestock or plants really care about these numbers. Of course, that assumes your fish are from South or Central America where the KH and GH of those habitat waters are notoriously low anyway. If your fish are from the Rift Valley where the KH and GH are notoriously high then there may be issues.

One negative consequence of low KH is that pH readings are less accurate. A negative consequence of very low GH is that there will be a low concentration of Calcium and Magnesium which plants need.

You can adjust the KH with any carbonate salt such as Potassium Carbonate, or a bit of crushed oyster shells or crushed coral can be placed in the filter. A KH of about 4 is fine.

You can adjust GH with any product calling itself "GH booster". Again, any GH in the range 3-4 is more than enough.

Cheers,

Back