• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

new 'tank'

mr. luke

well, i started setting up a new 'tank' (actually a swet jar that holds 7.5l empty)
Got a 10w light bodged onto it, diy c02 gizmo goig too :p
Planted with native aquatic mosses, pelia, rotala rotundifolia, tiny bit of hc and small bits of p helferi.
Im not expecting it to work out at all if im honest, just something for a bit of fun.
Daft question but is there such a thing as a pump small enough to add circulation?
Also, it only cost's £4 per year to run :D
will post pictures when possible, my camera is too bad for it lol
not going to house any live stock accept maybe some planeria or something free.

Pics? Sounds like fun, but don't you think 10w is a little OTT? That's like... over 5WPG.

I'm not sure obout the pump. In something that small, it would be good to do daily or every other day water changes though.

There probably is a pump small enough. You can get pretty small MicroJet pumps that are adjustable. I don't know where you would put it, though.

Thomas McMillan said:
Pics? Sounds like fun, but don't you think 10w is a little OTT? That's like... over 5WPG.

I'm not sure obout the pump. In something that small, it would be good to do daily or every other day water changes though.

you need more light over smaller tanks due to Minimum light thresh hold

thanks for the intrest, pics will be up within the week im thinking.
The reason ive used a 10w is because its what i had to spare :p
Youd struggle to find a s,aller one anyway,
C02 is also running way ott aswell, actually providing me with water movement :)
im thinking no ferts as it is going to have full daily water changes to provide nutrients, i am completely expectin it to get algae and fail :p

just checked the link and it gives no dimensions :(
im unsure weather it would fot or not tbh,
i may see if i can get a hob that will fit it, not likely but maybe possiable :D

mr. luke said:
just checked the link and it gives no dimensions :(
im unsure weather it would fot or not tbh,
i may see if i can get a hob that will fit it, not likely but maybe possiable :D

Are you talking about the Microjet pump?

Swell gives the height as less than 5cm. Since they are more or less cuboid, I'd say 5cm in all dimensions would be a good guess.

thanks for the idea, i tried one yesterday and it doesnt fit around the curvature :(
is it possiable to make an external from an internal and an airtight container and lots of silicon?

DSCF3030.jpg

be kind :)

YEY :D i spent ages on it :p
i need to clean it out when i get more dwarf hairgrass, the crypts are melting hence al the brown stuff everywhere.
i dose 1 drop or excel rip off every day :) plants pearl away and keep algae down too :)
anyone know if glosso or hc will grow with excel as the only carbon source?

PICTURES!!!
DSCF3178.jpg

DSCF3176.jpg

the broxn stuff neads clearing, its just plants and algae that melted when i started carbon over-dosing :p

Sweet!You can appreciate it more when you get a better feel to the overall size etc.Look forward to seeing how your growth goes.
Just for an aesthetic point of view (my opinion only you understand,to be ignored at your leisure!),I'd fill the water right up,and maybe find a solid trim that the light doesn't shine through to put round the neck of the jar (maybe B&Q or summat,the kind of stuff you edge worktop with?).This could be a great little talking point!

thanks for the kindness :)
i will do that :D
i left it like that so i could get my hand in to remove dead bits but i have tweezers now so no excuses :D
ill spray the current lid in black i think, it should cut out light nicely :) nice and cheap too :)

Awesome little tank! I've never seen a CO2 bottle being bigger than the tank :lol: HC will grow fine with Excel/EasyCarbo only. My tank initially got taken over by GDA, but I left it alone as I had other things to attend to, and it "mysteriously" went away and I haven't had any algae since. I'd seriously consider that route as the CO2 bottle is a bit unsightly and the output also varies over time, which will probably induce some form of algae or other (e.g. BBA), which would ruin the scape easily, the tank being so small so it should be economical as well.
Keep up the good work and keep updating this, please, as I believe there's quite a few on UKAPS that aren't allowed more "proper" tanks, but no-one could possibly object to a tank this size.

thanks for the advice :)
the bottle was temporary until i could find a carbon suplemeent, i basically dumped in enough for a weekly dosage on a 50l tank lol :p
shouldnt have to add to it for a while :D

Back