• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New to aquaria, advice needed!

If your ammonia is 0.25 and nitrite and nitrate are 0, then your tank is not yet cycled.
I know, it's miles off from what I understand. Should be 0,0 and then some kind of positive nitrate reading shouldn't it?

I was testing mainly for the hardness so I can plan stocking but that's the bit I'm most confused about.

I know, it's miles off from what I understand. Should be 0,0 and then some kind of positive nitrate reading shouldn't it?

I was testing mainly for the hardness so I can plan stocking but that's the bit I'm most confused about.
Looking good. Based on the graph, looks like you are where we would expect for 7 days 🙂
The ammonia value is so low because of all those water changes you did, else it would be higher.
Test again in 7 days and you should have some nitrites instead of ammonia.
I am surprised you have no nitrates at all when you are dosing ferts.

Looking good. Based on the graph, looks like you are where we would expect for 7 days 🙂
The ammonia value is so low because of all those water changes you did, else it would be higher.
Test again in 7 days and you should have some nitrites instead of ammonia.
I am surprised you have no nitrates at all when you are dosing ferts.
I'm only dosing 1ml a day (1ml per 10l a week), could the plants have gobbled it up in the 14 hours since?

Any idea if I've interpreted the GH correctly or which KH photo seems most legit? From my water company data it's so soft I might as well be using RO.

KH (not so clear on this, it said water should go blue to bright yellow but it was never blue and bright yellow is subjective so I added 7 drops eventually. 1 drop should be 1 dKH):
If the first image is one drop and the second is two drops, then I’d say your Kh is 1, and if not 1 it’s 2. With only one drop you won’t get bright yellow because of dilution, but it’s more yellow than blue. So, very soft water.
Got you re the cycling, I’d missed it’s only been going for 7 days. So, ammonia will spike, then reduce, nitrates will increase, and then eventually your nitrates will go up, and ammonia and nitrite will go to zero.

I agree with Hypnogogia about the KH and GH test. I use JBL tests so im not familiar with the colors of API, but if the drops are supposed to turn yellow, and the first drop makes the water even slightly yellow then you have 1 kh. Its not supposed to be bright, its just the change in the color you are looking for. Same for gh, only with whatever the colors are supposed to be for that test.

A note on out of date tests, in the JBL test kit, if your GH or KH test reagent is the same color as the color you are looking for your result to turn into, that means it is out of date.

Hi all,
It should be on the report you <"can get from your water supplier">, they have a large analytical lab. and will be able to give you an accurate figure.

Because of where you live you might get soft water from a Pennine reservoir or hard water from a limestone aquifer.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, It should be on the report you <"can get from your water supplier">, they have a large analytical lab. and will be able to give you an accurate figure.

Because of where you live you might get soft water from a Pennine reservoir or hard water from a limestone aquifer.

cheers Darrel
It's very soft according to the supplier (I posted the info somewhere on this thread).

Need some stocking ideas - we went to The Abyss in Stockport today and there are tonnes we like but don't know what's suitable.

Need some stocking ideas - we went to The Abyss in Stockport today and there are tonnes we like but don't know what's suitable.
Oh you’ve got Manchester water! It’s pretty good actually, kept fish in it for over 10 years as a kid. No pesky calc stains and there are tons of SE Asian and South American fish that positively prefer it. If you really need to it’s easy enough to remineralise (easier than getting it minerals out at least). I’ll let one of the fish people on here say more.

Is the Abyss worth a visit next time I’m in town?

1 week update:
Not much.
Water change and stuck some more moss on (Taxiphyllum barbieri that arrived out of the blue yesterday).
Oh you’ve got Manchester water! It’s pretty good actually, kept fish in it for over 10 years as a kid. No pesky calc stains and there are tons of SE Asian and South American fish that positively prefer it. If you really need to it’s easy enough to remineralise (easier than getting it minerals out at least). I’ll let one of the fish people on here say more.

Is the Abyss worth a visit next time I’m in town?
They had what I thought was a good selection and it's pretty big but social distance measures are in place which meant queuing to actually get in the fish bit.
Busy though which I suppose is good.

I think our water here may be even softer than theirs.

Reactions: Ray
Anyone got any stocking ideas for me?
I want some shrimp and some fish but that's about all I know. I don't want to end up getting conned in to goldfish, a plec and guppies again!

Some of my favorite fish that I have either kept or would like to keep:

Corydoras of any species, dumb/kind, whiskery lovable water cows. Will want a sandy area if youre one of those aquascaping guys, I have all sand bottom for mine.

Loaches, for your size tank maybe rosy loaches, these are lively and inquisitive and can be bred.

Kuhlii loaches are also awesome, they like to drape themselves around the plants. Goofy and happiest in groups.

Ottos you will probably get anyway since they seem to be an aquascaper staple, but they are sweet fish in their own right as well.

My favorite "normal" fish is Boraras brigittae, small, red, they have interesting behaviours where a male will pick a small area that he will defend from other males and try to impress the ladies from. Can be kept with shrimp, very small mouths and good natured.

Dwarf shrimp are also really cool and go well with cories and ottos. Not so sure with rosy loaches.

You could go for a pair of small cichlids, they are very intelligent fish and will look right back at you when you look at them. Great parents and lots of personality. Excludes corydoras and shrimp.

Psedomugil species, colorful and lively small rainbowfish.

Stiphodon gobies are a cool addition to a well oxygenated tank. Not good for open top tanks id say.

Epiplatys annulatus, clown killies, have not kept these but nice looking and do well in a small tank.

Dario dario, maybe not for a beginner but small and interesting soft water fish.

Iriatherina werneri, threadfin rainbows. Natural beauty.

Cant think of any others atm, hope this is somewhat helpful, I think you will need to experiment a bit maybe and find the kind of fish you like the most.

From my water company data it's so soft I might as well be using RO.

Hi @mrhoyo

Which hardness figures does your water company provide? Do they also provide figures for Calcium and Magnesium? Just the 'mean' figures will be fine. I'd also add that you may find it useful to read about some of the basics of fishkeeping if you're new to the hobby. In my opinion, the company 'Seachem' provides some good articles. I suggest you take a look at:

https://www.seachem.com/articles.php

JPC

I've attached the full report, hopefully it makes more sense to you.
I'll have a look on Seachem.

Attachments

• Brighouse 2004 WSZ.002.pdf
    257.5 KB · Views: 149
Some of my favorite fish that I have either kept or would like to keep:

Corydoras of any species, dumb/kind, whiskery lovable water cows. Will want a sandy area if youre one of those aquascaping guys, I have all sand bottom for mine.

Loaches, for your size tank maybe rosy loaches, these are lively and inquisitive and can be bred.

Kuhlii loaches are also awesome, they like to drape themselves around the plants. Goofy and happiest in groups.

Ottos you will probably get anyway since they seem to be an aquascaper staple, but they are sweet fish in their own right as well.

My favorite "normal" fish is Boraras brigittae, small, red, they have interesting behaviours where a male will pick a small area that he will defend from other males and try to impress the ladies from. Can be kept with shrimp, very small mouths and good natured.

Dwarf shrimp are also really cool and go well with cories and ottos. Not so sure with rosy loaches.

You could go for a pair of small cichlids, they are very intelligent fish and will look right back at you when you look at them. Great parents and lots of personality. Excludes corydoras and shrimp.

Psedomugil species, colorful and lively small rainbowfish.

Stiphodon gobies are a cool addition to a well oxygenated tank. Not good for open top tanks id say.

Epiplatys annulatus, clown killies, have not kept these but nice looking and do well in a small tank.

Dario dario, maybe not for a beginner but small and interesting soft water fish.

Iriatherina werneri, threadfin rainbows. Natural beauty.

Cant think of any others atm, hope this is somewhat helpful, I think you will need to experiment a bit maybe and find the kind of fish you like the most.
Fantastic, that gives us something to work from.
The mrs quite liked these in the shop. Any suitable? Apologies for the poor photos.

Rams
Kribs
Emerald eye rasbora
I can't remember what the rest are

Attachments

• 20200613_132257.jpg
    20200613_132257.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 119
  • 20200613_132421.jpg
    20200613_132421.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 110
  • 20200613_135543.jpg
    20200613_135543.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 108
  • 20200613_134529.jpg
    20200613_134529.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 110
  • 20200613_132257.jpg
    20200613_132257.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 101
  • 20200613_132421.jpg
    20200613_132421.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 110
  • 20200613_135543.jpg
    20200613_135543.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 113
  • 20200613_134604.jpg
    20200613_134604.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 109
  • 20200613_132450.jpg
    20200613_132450.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 104
We actually made a bit of a list of things we (mainly the wife) like the look of from The Abyss website. I know some are ridiculous for our tank but are there any suitable? Sorry to be a pest, they basically said to revisit in the week for advice which isn't handy when it's 45 mins+ away and we both work.

*Fish🐠🐟🐡*
◻ *Vietnamese minnow*
◻ *Yellow lab*
◻ *Scarlet badis*
◻ *Rhombo barb*
◻ *Red tiger oscar*
◻ *Red rosy barb*
◻ *Red rainbow fish*
◻ *Red tailed black shark*
◻ *Rainbow garra*
◻ *Panda loach*
◻ *Goth swordtail*
◻ *Empire gudgeon*
◻ *Blue fighting fish*
◻ *Emerald eye rasbora*
◻ *Black angel fish*
◻ *Dwarf rasbora*
◻ *Coral red pencilfish*
◻ *Bolivian ram*
◻ *Plec*
◻ *Blue fredcochui tetra*
◻ *Blue emperor tetra*
◻ *Blue acara*
◻ *Rilli shrimp*
◻ *Blue shrimp*
◻ *Black ruby barb*
◻ *Black neon tetra*
◻ *Amapa tetra*
◻ *Congo tetra*
◻ *Dalmatian Molly*
◻ *Guppy*

My thoughts:
Rams; Would stay away from the balloon ones (short bodies) because of health and ethical concerns.
Wild variety is hardier than the fancy bred ones.

Kribs: You buy two and then you will have four hundred. Extremely good parents - read - will chase away anything else in your tank to a small corner.

Rasboras and tetras, the ones of medium size are mostly all the same in my personal opinion, just check water parameters and if there is any very special behaviour but otherwise you can just pick whichever you like the look of the most. Medium sized schooling fish will tax your shrimp population.

Pictures: First pic looks like a Dicrossus, no experience with these. Cardinal tetras in background.
Second, Balloon rams and a L-number catfish of some variety.
Third, betta, very personable fish, will not want hurricane current all around the tank but will play in current occasionally. Unfortunately short lifespan.
Fourth, these are the kribs indeed. Notice how theres so many of them. This is foreshadowing :cool:
Fifth pic, Ember tetras. Nice lil fish, a size up from boraras. Popular aquascaper fish.

Note: I seem to have forgotten Honey Gouramis, nice lil fish that are much less hormonal than their bigger gourami family members. Lots of personality, lives longer than betta. Can nibble plants. Mine is notorious at killing my floaters because she eats the roots.

Went through with some quick no's.
The rest youre going to have to google, seriouslyfish is a good starting point. You gotta do some legwork yourself.

◻ *Yellow lab* Nope. Malawi
◻ *Red tiger oscar* No way. Big big tank
◻ *Red rainbow fish* Will get too big
◻ *Red tailed black shark* Too big and territorial
◻ *Rainbow garra* Boisterous fish that I personally feel will get too big for 70l. Can chase other fish.
◻ *Panda loach* Only get these if you are sure you can keep them alive. Endangered.
◻ *Goth swordtail* Hard water
◻ *Black angel fish* Will get much too big
◻ *Plec* If youre getting a "sucker fish" / pleco of any kind make sure it is a species that will not grow to 1 meter
◻ *Blue fredcochui tetra* Large and boisterous
◻ *Blue acara* Will get too big, and will probably rescape your tank for you.
◻ *Congo tetra* Much too big
◻ *Dalmatian Molly* Hard water
◻ *Guppy* Hard water

Hi @mrhoyo

No wonder you're having some difficulty measuring GH and KH. My quick calculations based on the calcium and magnesium figures would suggest that both GH and KH are less than 1dH. I suggest that you repeat the two tests using 10ml of tank water instead of 5ml. Then add 1 drop of test liquid at a time, swirling the tube thoroughly to ensure good mixing. Count the number of drops and let us know the result. The change in colour is likely to happen when going from 1 to 2 drops, I reckon. Please also check the expiry date of the test kits and let us know what they are.

JPC

Back